Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #1

K-7 - turning off the back LCD screen

I've just upgraded from an *ist DL to a K-7.

To save batteries on the *ist DL, after taking a photo and getting the preview on the LCD of the shot, I'd press the shutter halfway down to turn it off quicker than the default quickest time. This is particularly handy when shooting at night and I don't want the LCD blinding me.

The same can be done with the K-7, but with the catch that when I take my finger off the shutter afterwards, the LCD annoyingly turns back on. And it's a bloody bright LCD.

I know there's an option for turning off the top LCD green backlight, but is there an option somewhere for turning off the back LCD?

After all, if it's showing the same information as the top LCD, and you can't turn off the back LCD, then what's the reason for a top LCD?

08-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Press the Info button twice - it will temporarily turn off the back LCD.
However, every time the camera is turned off and back on later , it defaults back to Display "On"
To turn it off fully, go to the Recording Mode Menu 3 and set Display Status screen "Off"
08-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First thing I did was turn off that status screen. Does anyone here leave it on? Sooo distracting.
08-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ahh! Thank you all!! Fancy calling it a status screen. Problem solved

08-17-2009, 02:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can also change the length of time the review image is shown and even turn it off.
08-17-2009, 05:06 AM   #6

First thing I did when I got my new K20 was to scroll through the entire menu. The camera will tel you what each setting does.
08-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the problem I have found with the info screen is that it is very useful, and an easy way to modify a lot of settings.

Unfortunately as the OP has found, it is annoyingly bright, and when the camera is brought out of sleep mode, it defaults to the on position, not off, even if it was off before going to sleep.

Ideally it should have options other than on or off, in the menu. Preferrably on, off, or the same time out options as the image review. A simple flash would be acceptable, but at night especially, the brightness destroys your night vision.