Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 01:49 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-7 gets too hot too fast

I have tried taking movies with my new K-7. Mostly I use it in mountains where is cold, so no problem. But what about when it is really hot?
Why K-7 gets hot so fast? Is it problem of SR mechanism? I have switched it off and it has not helped. Is it problem if LiveView?
If yes, why there is not an option to switch LiveView off when taking movies?

08-17-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by therion Quote
I have tried taking movies with my new K-7. Mostly I use it in mountains where is cold, so no problem. But what about when it is really hot?
Why K-7 gets hot so fast? Is it problem of SR mechanism? I have switched it off and it has not helped. Is it problem if LiveView?
If yes, why there is not an option to switch LiveView off when taking movies?
If you switch LV off when shooting movies you just go blind.
08-17-2009, 03:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
go blind ->>> I know!

but it doesn´t matter if my camera is on tripod and I´m taking movie
(for example) of sunset!
08-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just how long a movie are you taking?

in my mind if it is more than a minute, then you are not really using the best tool.

the K7 is an SLR with limited HD capability, not a video camera.

As for live view, live view and making movies both use the same pprocessing the only difference is saving to memory Live view is achieved by using the sensor just like that of a video camera.

08-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Igilligan

Is sensor heat in live view a real issue?

I am not planning much use of the Video mode, but I am very interested in LV for metering and Mf of my old mf lenses.

Is this heat issue really a problem in you are in live view a lot? Summers can be hot here in CA and I use my mf lenses probably 90% of the time.
08-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wait... so has it happened before or are you just being cautious? Either way, i don't really think the movie mode/LV will be a problem as long as you keep the video 5 minuets or shorter. It can probably go longer, but if you are going to be in a hot place, might as well be cautious right?
08-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I am not planning much use of the Video mode, but I am very interested in LV for metering and Mf of my old mf lenses.

Is this heat issue really a problem in you are in live view a lot? Summers can be hot here in CA and I use my mf lenses probably 90% of the time.
For your purposes I think Digital Preview would be a better option than Live View. I use it every time I set up a close focus shot with with my Voigtlander 125. Even with the ability to magnify Live View its not very accurate for focusing and with Digital Preview you have the option of seeing the histogram and much better magnification ability.
Tom

08-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Wait... so has it happened before or are you just being cautious? Either way, i don't really think the movie mode/LV will be a problem as long as you keep the video 5 minuets or shorter. It can probably go longer, but if you are going to be in a hot place, might as well be cautious right?
That just makes no sense to me. If that is the case then HoyaTax needs to state specifically those are the limitations. There is zero reason there should be any limit to how long one can use any feature of the camera. If there is a point where hardware failure is induced, then the hardware is faulty or is not up to the paid for task.

I am used to using LV for HOURS w/o issue...the inability of that alone would be enough to give up. I say I could care less about video, but actually I do care in a way. The hardware is all related, if something fails due to using video then you can bet it will eventually fail under 'normal' conditions, especially as it seems a heat related issue.

I would be pissed if I paid any amount for a device that has such an issue as many are seeing with the K7 right now...as it is, the lack of a fix from HoyaTax is of significant concern.
08-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote

I am used to using LV for HOURS w/o issue..
What camera? I would think your main issue is battery death
08-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
What camera? I would think your main issue is battery death
40D but I cheated because I bought the power adapter. I got tired of changing batteries every couple hours or less...

BTW, their power adapter is WEIRD, it is shaped just like a battery and you remove the battery to insert the adapter which then has the cord go out of a teeny door in front. I swear that door was not there before the power adapter arrived...something happened and the door just appeared.

But if the K7 or even the K20/10D bodies are not meant to run LV for extended periods what is the point of a power adapter socket? Even more so given the addition of video to the K7.
08-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have never had issues with lv and the k20D, but then again lv on the k20D is limited so never used it for more than 20-30 min.

The K7 and sensor heat is known now, lets just see if they fix it tho.
08-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by TaiChiTom Quote
For your purposes I think Digital Preview would be a better option than Live View. I use it every time I set up a close focus shot with with my Voigtlander 125. Even with the ability to magnify Live View its not very accurate for focusing and with Digital Preview you have the option of seeing the histogram and much better magnification ability.
Tom

Actually that is one of the things I liked about the K7... in live view the magnification of the image was much clearer than on my k20 and did work for focusing... For me I am pretty good at MF with closer subjects and faces... but as the subject gets farther away, I am not quite as good trusting my eyes and the VF... so the clearer boost in the image in LV did seem to help.

Are you shooting with the K7?
08-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

Are you shooting with the K7?
Igilligan,

Yes.
08-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
I have never had issues with lv and the k20D, but then again lv on the k20D is limited so never used it for more than 20-30 min.

The K7 and sensor heat is known now, lets just see if they fix it tho.
Actually I'm not surprised about the heat issue. A camera with extensive sealing is bound to heat up.
08-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Slugger Quote
Actually I'm not surprised about the heat issue. A camera with extensive sealing is bound to heat up.
I would not say that should be true as the frame and Mg-Alloy body will and likely does function as a heat sink. And even so, there are published operating ranges for the camera without any qualifiers. The K10/20D bodies are plastic (will not function as a heat sink like Mg-Alloy) and other than the firmware and LARGER body are pretty much the same inside as well as sealed. The heat sink ability of the body for the K7 should be more than enough to make up for the size/volume difference to allow heat dissipation.

If it is not fair to be critical of HoyaTax then the opposite has to apply as well, no apologies to dismiss a poor design or bad component...no excuses.

EDIT: I thought I should come back and add something. If my comments sound overly negative, truly I do not intend them that way. I am just being direct and am really happy with my K20D. But I think I am simply disappointed in the K7's issues which came along at the same time lense prices increased as well as finding out about the whole Hoya thing. I honestly was unaware of the "merger" and had I known I might not have made my switch because I am completely repulsed by Hoya's MAP agreements retailers are required to sign. For those who do not know MAP = Minimum Advertised Price and in many states in the US as well as countries around the globe such things are either already not legal or are in process of being made illegal. So I am frustrated that if Hoya insists on this business model, well, a lot of the fun of a great camera at reasonable prices is gone for me.

In the mean time like I wrote, I really love my K20D and am just feeling let down by the K7 which was the reason I decided to switch along with the pre-increase lense prices. Then top it off with the possible MAP issue.

Last edited by brecklundin; 08-17-2009 at 07:08 PM.