Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I go with the "stretching". By the same token one could argue that the presence of AF makes people shoot sharp subjects and deprive them of some creative fuzzy shots.

If an aid is available you can choose to not want it. In contrast, in case you want it, it is hard to ignore if it is not available.
You are correct. I did say I was stretching And I do think it would be nice to have visible markers of where the golden ratio fits.

However, I find that when I look at a picture, I intuitively go with a composition that "works" for me. Often I end up naturally using composition rules. But just last week-end, I was shooting (casually) a wedding, and was taking pictures of the couple dancing. Suddenly I saw a picture in my mind. I placed the dancers completely to the right (thus cropping out people looking at them) and got an awful lot of empty space on the other side. In my mind I saw the B&W version and I knew I could pull it off, even though 4/5 of the picture is empty space on one side.

Point : rules are useful when you learn and when you have a specific intend in mind, but once you understand the rules, forget them before they become second nature and you get trapped. Go with what works...

08-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Or, you can center point focus and recompose. That way you don't have to worry about where they are located.

***Just trying to stir the pot a little***
08-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting/starting this interesting study. I thought it might be fun to see photos that people percieve as pleasant to look at, like in flickr's interestingness area, and how they are framed. I took a few of the top rated for interestingness and using Gimp applied the Golden Rule grid you provided in your post. I found most I looked at (only shots with one subject though) were almost dead on the Golden thing and not on 3rds. Even some where there was room to do 3rds and get the subject completely in like:

Dusk on Wat Arun on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
(I cannot post my image of this with the grid on it as this was in no way a CC licensed photo, but try the grid yourself)

Really fun thing to think about for me. I have no formal photo training though.

j
08-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_XTC Quote
Or, you can center point focus and recompose.
Thanks for stirring the pan.
Using "focus & recompose" can cause focus errors in critical situations and does not allow you to place the subject of interest off-centre in action scenes.

QuoteOriginally posted by jays0n Quote
I found most I looked at (only shots with one subject though) were almost dead on the Golden thing and not on 3rds.
Glad the thread inspired you. The "golden rule" (placement of subjects according to the "golden ratio/section") is, as Falk pointed out earlier, a long established guideline for harmonious composition/construction. The ubiquitous "thirds rule" is really just a simplified version of it.