Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No! The K100D takes a fall! Shutter issues...

I have been very happy with my K100D, which I have had about a year. I got it after my DS started having issues not clicking when the shutter was pressed. I decided to ditch the DS and move up to Shake Reduction and the other benefits the K100D offered.

Last night I was working a concert, and had taken a few pictures. I left my camera on a desk, in the case but not zipped in. Someone brushed by and knocked the case off. the camera hit lens first, falling about 4 feet onto industrial flooring. It hit hard enough that the lens cap was stuck on the lens.

But, the lens was a Pentax M 50mm, and it is fine. Once I pried the plastic cap off it was great.

The K100D was not so fortunate. The shutter fires only about 40-50% of the time. Just like the DS.

Anyone know what has shaken loose in there?

If I don't fix it, I'm thinking of moving to the K10D...

slinky

08-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That story worked for me too when I wanted the wifes approval to upgrade. Make sure to put a little scratch on the body in case she checks it;-)

(Sorry about the K100, I love my K10D and see no reason right now to upgrade)
08-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
That story worked for me too when I wanted the wifes approval to upgrade. Make sure to put a little scratch on the body in case she checks it;-)

(Sorry about the K100, I love my K10D and see no reason right now to upgrade)
LOL!
I should try these ones..
08-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear this.
I had one of my older cams suffer a similar but smaller tumble where it landed lens first and had its lens cap jammed into the protective filter - from your story it seems it wouldn't have made much difference anyway (though now I'm without that filter...). But the camera survived unscathed.

Doesn't seem like much you can do with yours - the sticky shutter button will frustrate you after a while - you'll just have to get the K10D.

08-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hearing these horror stories make me worry a lot for the future of my camera Knowing that as long as I have mine, it's a ticking time bomb that one day it will stop working whether someone murdered it like yours (Which I hope is not the case) or it dies naturally... For whatever your plans are for your K100D now, hope all goes well.
08-18-2009, 05:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, I forgot to mention, there was a filter on that lens, that was what the cap was pushed into. Lens is as good as ever.

At this point I am making myself too busy to think about it.

I want a working camera. I don't want to spend the cash to get one. rather get a new lens. I may just go back with another k100D...
08-18-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Send it to Pentax for a quote?
If the price for repair is too much they will just send it back to you without the repairs.
Who knows, it might not be that expensive.
08-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
I got it after my DS started having issues not clicking when the shutter was pressed ... The shutter fires only about 40-50% of the time. Just like the DS.
You might want to check this thread which you replied to earlier:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/33207-ist-ds-shutt...o-contact.html

Also, a guide to shutter repair here.

Last edited by tomwil; 08-18-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added link.
08-19-2009, 05:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
$240 repair on a camera I can replace for $250 used... or break it open and try to fix it?

Last time this happened I sold the "broken" one with a remote for $90, and put that toward a newer body. I'll probably move that way again.

The thing that puzzles me is that this time i know it is from a drop. not sure what may have jarred loose or broken.