Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Banned

Canon 5D MKII user switches to the K-7

From Cinema5D.com forum :

"Just bought Pentax K7 and I can only say that picture quality is a dream! I cannot explain the reason exactly but it is color, contrast and I donīt know but it looks so organic, natural and filmic...

Hard decision but Iīm going now to sell my 5D MK II. In comparison the look of my 5D is more "plastic". No Picture style adjustment can help, because video mode is different from the really nice 21 Megapix RAW footage coming from phto modus...
Hard words, I know. By the way in one point 5D is better: lowlight !"

cinema5D.com • View topic - Pentax K7 - a new star is born !

08-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Quick! Someone kill this thread before Cody finds out that there's yet another camera for sale!
08-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i always got that feeling from the canon sensors. sometimes i can pick out jpegs displayed on the web and guess correctly that they are canon (sometimes not). i think post processing does enable one to make the final picture look any way they like though, it's just that it's probably more work than with the pentaxes (perhaps not so much work after you set it up, with a color profile and so on?)
08-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He's drawn some attention by posting his switch to the K-7 there...
Look out for some fireworks...

PS. Das Boot, your avatar is a little on the disturbing side!

08-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

well Considering I had a k7 ( 3 ) and went to the 5d mk2, I have to say if he is using picture styles and complaining about the plastic looking jpegs he was using the wrong camera, the mk2 is far ahead of the k7 in raw. Then again it better be for 2x the price.

On the other hand if he was complaining about the build quality and interface, control system on the mk2 the k7 is better in that regard.

now if Pentax would just buy the 5d mk2's sensor and build a camera around it I'd be very very very happy ( and release more fa* glass with it )
08-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Here's his post when he sold his 5D Mark II for GH1

cinema5D.com • View topic - Sell Canon 5D and buy Panasonic GH1

Maybe he sold two 5D Mark II now? One sold off for GH1 in April 2009 and now another 5DII sold off for a K-7.

cinema5D is a fun forum. Lots of great info to help users get a handle on video dslrs.

Here's their forums page link:

http://www.cinema5d.com/index.php

Last edited by Samsungian; 08-18-2009 at 06:58 PM.
08-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Forum Member

to be fare on that post he only talked about his wish to get the Lumix but didnt say he did. But even if he did it doesnt mean he kept it or sold the Canon. My daughter and I tried 3 canons and 2 Nikons and returned them before finally getting the Pentax k-7 and being satisfied. Only at that point did we sell the Canon. Though my daughter switched from Canon to Pentax k-7 but originally wanted to go with the GH1 because of the reasons he mentioned in the post you linked above. We ended up with the Pentax k-7 and agree with his findings. These are personal conclusions and no one should be brought down for getting to what conclusions they make. otherwise there will only be one camera sold and one car sold etc.

08-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Interesting comparison here:

Would be even more interesting if a K7 was in that mix...
08-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey, its all good

I see alot of sell ads for 5DII and D700 at ebay and fredmiranda. Typically they sell for 90c on the dollar new, at this moment in time.

For me the HD Dslr craze is one I'm passing on for now. I need more computer, more software and many more skills to use this new feature. Sure it would be fun to have but I see a big hole I'd need to toss a bunch of bucks into and that ain't gonna happen.

HD for me has become the dividing line & I'd rather wait to acquire it. Keeping HD out of my bag saves me money. So many choices. So many brands. Still fun to read about and more fun to see video captures others are making and sharing.

If this fellow bought a 5DII and sold it for GH1 and bought 5DII again and then sold it for K-7 it really wouldn't floor me. Or if he's never owned a 5DII that would not surprise me either. I'm glad its not me on the HD Dslr merry go round.

So I'm back to mental bliss just shooting ultrawide stills and my wallet is happier with the decision. Just booked 4 days at MesaVerde. Its been 6 years since the wife and I were last there and I can't wait to see how our full frame digital captures compare with our film images from 2003 and 1989.

QuoteOriginally posted by alman Quote
to be fare on that post he only talked about his wish to get the Lumix but didnt say he did. But even if he did it doesnt mean he kept it or sold the Canon. My daughter and I tried 3 canons and 2 Nikons and returned them before finally getting the Pentax k-7 and being satisfied. Only at that point did we sell the Canon. Though my daughter switched from Canon to Pentax k-7 but originally wanted to go with the GH1 because of the reasons he mentioned in the post you linked above. We ended up with the Pentax k-7 and agree with his findings. These are personal conclusions and no one should be brought down for getting to what conclusions they make. otherwise there will only be one camera sold and one car sold etc.
08-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Irony is I will probably be buying a panny hmc-170 or hmc-40 as the 5d video, while great the cam is just not meant for long use shooting stuff like fashion shows or 2 hr concerts.
08-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Irony is I will probably be buying a panny hmc-170 or hmc-40 as the 5d video, while great the cam is just not meant for long use shooting stuff like fashion shows or 2 hr concerts.
As I've argued before, video on dSLR has some serious challenges. To me sound is the biggest as I don't shoot music videos, but rather need good location sound, usually both lav and boom. There certainly is some great stuff being made, but if you notice it is usually by guys who are DPs - ie they know how to shoot video.

Also, I am so sick of seeing rack focus and bokeh for the sake of bokeh. Hey, look at me...I've got shallow DOF!!! It reminds me of when HD first started getting traction and there was very little content so you saw a lot of atmospheric and nature footage - stuff that didn't need to be cut.

For a specific subset it is useful and appropriate. Most would be better served by a camcorder. Of course most dSLR users would be better served by a p&s so obviously that doesn't make much of a difference
08-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

So far I just use the K-7's video for quick "cute" 10-20 second shots; it sometimes helps capture the athmosphere of a scene where even a series of still photos may not. No more than that. Videography is a different world from still photography, neither is "superior".

For any planned videography, I use a Sony Handycam - I can have hours of recording, 5.1 Channel Dolby surround sound, continuous autofocus and aperture/shutter control - even continuous white balance as lighting conditions change !
08-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the video for ID notes with news shots. That's a help.
08-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I think he developed a fetish for Pentax Glass. the great thing about the K-7 is it takes full advantage of the LTD glasses. can't wait to see what's next after the K-7. probably almost a FF or 3/4 of that of a FF dslr. that would be very nice.
08-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
Igilligan

This place is becoming DPR...

I just read the same damn thing there...

If I wanted to read dpr I would go to dpr... This kind of double posting just brings this forum down I my eyes, I come here to get away from this.

Must be the "New Camera" smell that gets everyone so intoxicated.

Quick... someone post a link to the "A play with a D700 suprised" nonsense too, before it drops off the first page of DPR...

Das Boot... 8^)

Last edited by Igilligan; 08-19-2009 at 12:23 PM.