Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #1

K20D High Speed Shutter Flash Sync ??

In the K20D manual, the instruction for the Pentax brand flash attachments are to set the camera on either tv or M mode, then set the shutter speed higher than 180.

I'm trying to get the same results with my new Metz 48 AF1, which does have a PTTL HSS setting, and which is supposed to automatically work with dedicated cameras that support HSS.

However, the K20 won't let me set a shutter speed higher than 180 in tv mode...will in M. Am I doing something wrong, or is this an anomaly of the Metz flash unit?

08-18-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WalterGA Quote
In the K20D manual, the instruction for the Pentax brand flash attachments are to set the camera on either tv or M mode, then set the shutter speed higher than 180.

I'm trying to get the same results with my new Metz 48 AF1, which does have a PTTL HSS setting, and which is supposed to automatically work with dedicated cameras that support HSS.

However, the K20 won't let me set a shutter speed higher than 180 in tv mode...will in M. Am I doing something wrong, or is this an anomaly of the Metz flash unit?
Check if you set Auto EV compensation ON (Custom Menu Item 10 on the K20D), default is OFF.
In normal flash mode, the camera "doesn't care" about shutter speed below 1/180 sec, but if you switch to HSS under Tv, the camera will meter on the ambient lighthing.
In Tv mode & Auto EV compensation ON, the camera will actually prevent you from setting a shutter speed which result in Underexposure at ambient (if you are already at maximum aperture). If the resulting shutter speed is less than 1/180s, it will revert back to normal flash ie. you don't actually have HSS.

Its a bit of a Beginner function to stop you from unintended over/under exposure error, but it gets irritating if you didn't realise its accidentally set on.
08-19-2009, 05:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Check if you set Auto EV compensation ON (Custom Menu Item 10 on the K20D), default is OFF.
In normal flash mode, the camera "doesn't care" about shutter speed below 1/180 sec, but if you switch to HSS under Tv, the camera will meter on the ambient lighthing.
In Tv mode & Auto EV compensation ON, the camera will actually prevent you from setting a shutter speed which result in Underexposure at ambient (if you are already at maximum aperture). If the resulting shutter speed is less than 1/180s, it will revert back to normal flash ie. you don't actually have HSS.

Its a bit of a Beginner function to stop you from unintended over/under exposure error, but it gets irritating if you didn't realise its accidentally set on.
That was the answer! Thanks much!
11-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #4

I also noticed this in the manual, and was wondering whats sync speeds people have achieved in this mode over the 1/180 mark. Is it possible to go as far as 1/250 or beyond?

11-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #5

What REALLY sux is that you can go beyond the 1/180 limitation if M mode but ONLY if you have the flash set in P-TTL Auto. If you switch the flash to MANUAL mode, it will force the shutter speed back to 1/180 and you CANNOT change it

AAARRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!
11-02-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junyper Quote
I also noticed this in the manual, and was wondering whats sync speeds people have achieved in this mode over the 1/180 mark. Is it possible to go as far as 1/250 or beyond?
You can go up to the limit of the shutter speed.
As the shutter speed increases, the output power of the flash diminishes. The ambient light captured also diminishes.
So, depending on the brightness of the surroundings, you eventually get to the point where the exposure is too dark.

QuoteQuote:
What REALLY sux is that you can go beyond the 1/180 limitation if M mode but ONLY if you have the flash set in P-TTL Auto. If you switch the flash to MANUAL mode, it will force the shutter speed back to 1/180 and you CANNOT change it

AAARRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!
High Speed Synch is a P-TTL function. The camera and flash need the P-TTL function to get the correct exposure, since there is such a wide range of possible shutter speeds.
11-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #7

What I was trying to say is that there is no FULL MANUAL mode with the flash.

Setting the camera to M and the flash to MANUAL will result in the 1/180 synch lock and cannot be overriden which I find baffling.

11-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CrazyNuts Quote
What I was trying to say is that there is no FULL MANUAL mode with the flash.

Setting the camera to M and the flash to MANUAL will result in the 1/180 synch lock and cannot be overriden which I find baffling.
because it would be physically impossible...

P-TTL allows for high speed sync where it strobes the light really fast, hence the ability to go above the 1/180

in manual mode you get nothing but a single burst of light, so putting your camera above 1/180 will give you a black photo with a slightly angled slit of light on it.. why in gods name would you want that?