Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K10D problem

Retry: Can anyone hazard a guess as to what is causing this hard to describe problem in my camera? It has occurred sporadically over the past week or so and has happened at start up and during playback. Picture attached.

Attached Images

08-18-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have no clue.

Just a quick question: does this happen to one or to more than one memory card?
08-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a hardware problem - LCD screen not working right.
I don't think it's just the pictures you get out of the camera, since the in-camera details are also blurred on the screen - it'll be the screen.
Any drops or knocks at all to the camera?
If not, it'll be hard to explain, though I don't think it'll change the outcome - you may need a repair or replacement. Sorry.
08-19-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
Damn Brit

You could try removing the battery and leaving it out overnight. Sometimes that can resolve a problem.

08-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
K10D problems

The problem has not impacted my taking pictures, picture quality or my ability to download to my computer. I'll try the removal of the battery overnight and but will probably send it out for repairs if the problem persist. Thanks.
08-31-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Shipped my camera off to Pentax for a diagnosis...Hope I'm not without a camera for too long. If the repairs are too costly, will be upgrading to the K7. :-)
08-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Do you have "Matrix" mode enabled?

09-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
$402 to fix my K10D...Shopping for a new camera. Husband is no longer excited about Pentax and one of the main reasons is that there are no Pentax dealers in MN. I'm the primary user of the camera so the ultimate decision will be mine. Looking at the Nikon D90, Canon 50d and the Pentax k20d or K7.

09-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Won't really matter which cam you go for, but why do you have to have a dealer in MN to get another Pentax cam?
Just buy from B&H and the like - if you already know what you want...
09-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Your K10D still has value to someone here. Please don't just throw it away, but offer it up for sale.
09-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
We always shop in person so I can get a feel for the camera and then purchase online. Hardly anyone in MN sells Pentax cameras so my husband is making some assumptions with regards to vendors and why they are electing not to sell Pentax.

Will definitely look to sell the K10d along with the 3 lenses that we have if we decide to go a different route.
09-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jiamn Quote
We always shop in person so I can get a feel for the camera and then purchase online. Hardly anyone in MN sells Pentax cameras so my husband is making some assumptions with regards to vendors and why they are electing not to sell Pentax.

Will definitely look to sell the K10d along with the 3 lenses that we have if we decide to go a different route.

I agree that it is good to be able to handle a camera before puchasing it.

However, with the recent bankruptcy of Ritz camera stores, some interesting things came out about the way Canon, Nikon and Pentax do business with their retailers.

Ritz owed Nikon something on the order of $26 million in trade credit. They owed a smaller, but still huge amount to Canon. They owed Pentax nothing. This seems to be because Pentax does not or can not extend trade credit to dealers. IOW, C & N were sending merchandise to Ritz on consignment, meaning that Ritz didn't have to pay for it until it sold. Pentax demands cash on the barrelhead. I've verified this with a large dealer here in Cleveland, that does still carry Pentax. So, stores have a financial incentive to stock C & N, but not P. I was told that the $26M amounted to 20% of Nikon USA's annual sales.

It has long been rumored that C & N also provide "spiffs", or incentive payments directly to the salesman who sells the camera. Pentax does not.

C & N together account for around 85-90 percent of US camera sales, particularly in the dslr category. It is easier for a salesman to sell a camera when the customer walks in and wants the camera he/she saw Ashton Kucher using in a TV commercial, or a Canon, because someone's neighbor told them that "everyone" uses Canon.

My point is that there are a lot of reasons why brick and mortar stores don't stock Pentax cameras that have little or nothing to do with the quality of the cameras or the financial viability of Pentax/Hoya.

Pentax seems to have made a conscious decision, for better or worse, to de-emphasize traditional brick and mortar camera stores and concentrate on mail-order and online sales. Many large retailers sell Pentax cameras from their websites, but not in their stores. I never see Pentax in my local Costco, but they sell them on their website. The same is true for Walmart and, I believe, Best Buy. Even Home Depot, for crying out loud, sells Pentax on their website. Only time will tell if this is good decision on Pentax' part.

All that being said, though, it doesn't help the buyer who prefers to see and hold a camera before purchasing.
09-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jiamn Quote

And it's no wonder they stopped stocking Pentax if no one is buying from them!

I'm having a hard time making the connection between going to a local shop, hanging around, talking to the salesperson, using their demo, then running home and buying from Amazon...and then going onto a forum and saying that there are no retailers who stock Pentax anymore...

I want to get back into retail but there's no way I'll be a salesperson at a place like a camera store due to the internet. I use the internet...I love it...but I also buy locally when they have what I need. My shop has a K-7 in stock and at a competitive price. The addition of sales tax instead of free shipping is worth it for the hands-on, in my opinion.

When the time comes, I will be buying a tripod from them. Damn the online price...I've messed around with their stock a few times and they've been extremely helpful. If I were buying a K-7 today, that's where I would get it.

(Electronics fail. Nothing is perfect. Leaving Pentax because of one dead screen on a 3(?) year old camera is kind of extreme. My buddy went through 3 or 4 Moto Razr phones which are garbage...and he recently got another. If Pentax was a consistent failure like the Razr...I could see being pissed off...)
09-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sad to say that I did indeed go into a camera store, fondle the merchandise, and bought online. The $100 plus tax difference just could not be overcome in my husband's mind. Let me tell you that I would have been happy to walk out of that store with a camera today!

We were not leaving Pentax because of the broken camera...I just haven't developed any brand loyalty at this point in my life as an amatuer photographer. That being said...We bought the K7.