Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-7 in M, e.level takes over meter!

Found this little annoyance with my otherwise exquisite K-7.

When in Manual (M) mode, if the electronic level display is ON, the camera no longer shows the exposure meter in the viewfinder as usual. I wonder if there is a way to access the light-meter indicator while in M mode and having the electronic level display in the VF fully turned on as well.

Bug or intended design?

08-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lack of space I'd say. I think that happens in any mode with the level turned on.
08-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
AM2
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Lack of space I'd say. I think that happens in any mode with the level turned on.
True, however the other modes display the Exposure Compensation scale, not a light-meter scale. I can usually guess exposure values pretty well but I still need to know whether I am over or under exposing, with the meter gone, it's inconvenient to keep going into the menu to turn the electronic level on and off. Imagine the lightmeter LEDs in an MX viewfinder malfunctioning but the meter itself is fine.

The upside to this is that it makes me thing more in terms of exposure...
08-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In M mode, the exposure meter always shows on the Status screen LCD, unless the Status screen itself has been turned off completely.

08-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not sure about M mode, but in other modes you can bring back the Ev scale by pressing the +/- button. This toggles between the two.

Wim
08-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Not sure about M mode, but in other modes you can bring back the Ev scale by pressing the +/- button. This toggles between the two.

Wim
Oh! wow!...I did not know this. I also was annoyed with this behavior in M mode and I had this in the wishlist of future firmware. Thank you so much for pointing this out to me.

Is this in this in the manual?

P.S: WRONG. it doesn't work....it is a bug that needs fixing.

Last edited by pcarfan; 10-10-2009 at 06:01 AM.
08-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Oh! wow!...I did not know this. I also was annoyed with this behavior in M mode and I had this in the wishlist of future firmware. Thank you so much for pointing this out to me.

Is this in this in the manual?
Page 117 in the manual (115 in the printed manual)
"To set the EV compensation, you can also press the +/- button once and take
your finger off the button, "
"+/- is displayed on the LCD panel and in the viewfinder during compensation"

One thing to be aware - the E/V compensation change is active while this method of display is on.
So if you turn the rear wheel while in M mode with this On, the E/V compensation will change instead of the Aperture.
08-20-2009, 02:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Page 117 in the manual (115 in the printed manual)
"To set the EV compensation, you can also press the +/- button once and take
your finger off the button, "
"+/- is displayed on the LCD panel and in the viewfinder during compensation"

One thing to be aware - the E/V compensation change is active while this method of display is on.
So if you turn the rear wheel while in M mode with this On, the E/V compensation will change instead of the Aperture.
Kittykat, that is different from what is being discussed here. The EV compensation button (+/- button) also toggles between the horizon alignment scale and exposure meter. Is this mentioned anywhere in the brochure?

10-10-2009, 05:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote

Wim
Ok when I use the +/- button in the M mode (it's the only one I use), it does turn off the electronic level and you get the meter, but it's not metering. I just got the camera yesterday. Is this a malfunction or am I doing something wrong?
10-10-2009, 06:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

True, it does not. When I saw the answer above, first I thought it did and thus the response above. But, it doesn't. Pentax really needs to fix this bug. I looked for this thread to make the changes but couldn't find it, so I am glad you asked.
10-10-2009, 06:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
True, it does not. When I saw the answer above, first I thought it did and thus the response above. But, it doesn't. Pentax really needs to fix this bug. I looked for this thread to make the changes but couldn't find it, so I am glad you asked.

Thanks. That's kind of bummer. That was one feature I was really excited about with K7. Think I'll go post a complaint on Ned Bunnell's blog, not that it will probably accomplish much.

I suppose when I use a tripod (which I do often) the level could be useful since turning it off and on would be less trouble. Not much use if you are an M shooter handheld though. At least none than I can think of now.

Thanks again for your quick reply!!!!!
10-10-2009, 07:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You could use the auto horizon leveler for now, which doesn't show the level meter, but will correct your images if it is slightly tilted.
10-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
In M mode, the exposure meter always shows on the Status screen LCD, unless the Status screen itself has been turned off completely.
Correct.

And it is another bug that the INFO button only toggles between the two different status screens and off if the status screen has not been turned off in the menu.

If the status screen has been turned off in the menu, only the second status screen can be activated with the INFO button. However, the meter in M mode is in the first status screen.

Somebody at Pentax should have realized that M mode w/o a meter is rather pointless and show the meter on the top LCD/VF and the horizon on the first status screen (in M mode).
10-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
Forum Member

I'd love the RAW button to toggle

I'd love the RAW button to toggle between the level and the exposure meter. I otherwise have no use for the RAW button and this would address my biggest complaint so far with the K7. Alternatively, how about whole turning the exposure adjustment dials and for a second or two after, the exposure meter is shown otherwise the electronic level is shown. Both solutions would work well for me.
10-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #15

The level indicator should to implemented to atleast always show in liveview.