Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2009, 04:19 AM   #1

K-7 dust between LCD and protective cover

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this on their K-7.

I own a Pentax K-7 as from the 20th of july and just after about one week of effectively using it dust started to accumulate between the LCD and the protective cover. On 10th august I took in service. After 3 days in service the repair guy opened it up, "cleaned it as best as he could" and returned it to me saying that he didn't see anything wrong with the sealing. I was not happy with this and I tried to get a replacement. I ended up talking to the general manager of the store who told me they won't replace it and his advice to me was to "take it and make use of it with full trust".

Today the dust is back, and I'm planing on taking the K-7 back in service and ask for a replacement, again. The cleaning of the dust it's not a permanent solution, as dust seems to accumulate again and again.

The K-7 is superb but this dust problem makes me belive that I have a bad copy of it. The unit that the store has on display is a pre-production unit and it's dust free in the LCD, althou everyone who walks in the store trys it and the lens are changed pretty often...

08-19-2009, 06:24 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I had this problem on my K10D and sent back to Pentax.
Then, Pentax helped the clean the dust, checked the seal (I could tell they put/added some glue or sth like that between the LCD cover and the housing), and solved the problem.

Just FYI.
09-08-2009, 05:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
I finally got the replacement for my K-7, and guessing from the serial no. it's part of the same batch (old - 3384250 / repacement - 3384208). No dust between the LCD and cover, for now...
I'll wait one week and see if it's realy ok.

In terms of image quality it's ok, it only has 3-4 stuck red pixels appearing on video but not on the photos.
09-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have two small dust spots on the LCD to.

But, i've read somewhere that its no biggie. The Lcd sits outside/on top of the actual "weather seal". The protective cover is designed for easy acsess to the LCD witch (i think) is also placed utside the weather sealing for easy replacement.

I cant tell you that this is fact, i've only read it in a DPR thread.

09-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
Before the K-7 i had a K200D (only 40 seals, or something like that, i don't remember the exact number) and for 1 year it didn't have this dust-under-the-lcd-cover issue. And i didn't use that K200D only in dust-free envoiroments, i assure you. The K-7 i send back was like a dust-under-the-lcd-cover magnet. The service guy said that he have seen this in only 1 or 2 K10Ds that were used for 3-4 years, but not in a 2 weeks old camera. They don't make them like they used to...

Last edited by minator; 09-08-2009 at 01:52 PM.