Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What should I do about my busted K10D?
Send my K10D in for repairs. (Could get expensive) 518.52%
Buy a replacement K10D, either new or used. 13.70%
Buy a new K20D. (Could use new grip + batteries) 1659.26%
Wait it out and buy a K7 when they drop in price a little. 518.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #1

My K10D died. What should I do? - Repair, Replace, Upgrade?

Hey fellow Pentaxians!

My K10D has been on the rocks for a while now. Sometimes it works fine, other times it won't power on at all despite trying several different fully charged batteries. This is extremely annoying right now, because I JUST bought a battery grip for it over the weekend. After dealing with this for about the last 3 months I've decided that I hate having an unreliable camera and I need to DO SOMETHING about this.

I had been hoping to keep my K10D working until the K7 hit the $999.99 mark and then upgrade to that, but I guess it is not to be. I really like he K7 because I shoot in urban areas a lot, and a smaller camera with a quieter shutter and video is really appealing to me...

Anyway, I've made a poll with what I see as my options right now.
What path do you think I should take, and what would you do?

08-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow that must really suck. FWIW, I doubt the K-7 will ever drop below $1000 until maybe when the K-7 Mark II or w/e it's going to be called comes out. If you really need the features of the K-7 over the K20D, then get the K-7. Otherwise, you better hurry and get a K20D before it's out of stock. RIght now, $620 is a great price and you can sue the battery grip with it too.

I suggest getting your K10D repaired as a back up body. Try sending it to a local camera repair shop first and see what they can do. It sounds like something is loose from the mechanism that turns on the camera (shutter collar).

My vote: none of the above until you can specify what you need out of your camera. The K-7 sure looks great, but a lot of features might not be useful. Do you really need the extra FPS, movie mode, 100% viewfinder, 3-inch LCD with VGA resolution, smaller body, magnesium alloy body, better metering with older lenses, or getting it b/c all those features are so drool worthy? Yeah it is a great upgrade over the K20D, but you have to decide whether or not it is worth the $680 over the K20D.
08-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
My K10D has been on the rocks for a while now. Sometimes it works fine, other times it won't power on at all despite trying several different fully charged batteries....
So it's not actually dead - it's just sick, right?

Have you contacted Pentax support? Perhaps they can look at the camera, figure out what's wrong and give you an estimate on the fix before they actually charge you. I suspect that is what I would do. I've disposed of several cheap point and shoot cameras. But it seems wrong to throw away a dslr - and the K10D in particular, which is a pretty sturdy piece of equipment.

If you do decide to buy another camera, the K20D right now is one of the great bargains in the history of camera shopping. And of course, as you know, you'll be able to use your new battery grip.

Good luck,

Will
08-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short and sweet:
K20D.

08-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I voted send it for repairs

My K10 had the shutter die. cost was 325CDN toget it fixed, and part of the fix was a complete cleaning of the camera. Cleaner in fact than I can ever remember it being in the past.

I still went out and got a K7 but decided for the cost the K10D still was worth getting fixed.
08-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
edl
Veteran Member

If you're satisfied with the K10D then a used one can be had on the cheap. I have one on ebay right now because no one here wanted to pay $350 for it.

The K20D adds one stop of good ISO and 10MB to your file sizes. The AF is slightly faster on the latest firmware. If you shoot wide open in good light, the K10D is basically the same as the K20D.

I would send it in to Pentax first though. If it's cheap, repair. If not, replace.

Smaller camera...quiet shutter, video >> Panasonic LX3. Not a SLR, completely off topic but just a thought.
08-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

i would have wanted to say sell it as-is and get a replacement but that option was out of the voting so, I voted for repairs.
After repair it would be as good as new and your shutter would be good for another 100,000 actuations..if it gets there.
08-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you buy another used K10D, you might get one whose shutter is about to die too so you'll just be hit by a double whammy!
The best thing is repair as you know how you cared for your equipment and it only needs replacement of the shutter.

08-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hey guys, thanks for your quick responses!

I will be sending my K10D in for repairs for sure
, but I bought it used about a year and a half ago so I don't really know how it was handled for the beginning of its life. The shutter is probably still fine, but it could be lose wiring or a busted circuit board.

As far as what I need, I like my K10D for the most part, but wish I had faster AF, better performance at high ISO, and live view. The AF, particularly in poor lighting, is pretty annoying sometimes especially since my K10D tends to back-focus.

Having a PC Sync port would also be nice, since that wold allow me to use it with the studio flash setup in my office, and of course video would be great for when I go on camping trips and stuff...

How long did it take for the K20D to drop in price?

I bought my K10D used right after the K20D came out and haven't really been paying attention to the Pentax DSLR prices until now...
02-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Short and sweet:
K20D.
That's what I think.