Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Old dirty, filthy lenses on a new DSLR.

I don't have a digital SLR yet. If I get a K100D and use old film lenses on it, am I risking getting little specks of dust and dirt on the new cameras sensor? I have always tried to keeep the lenses as clean as possible, but assume the tiniest specks of film dust etc will show up on the digital sensor.

05-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
Forum Member

There's a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT chance you'll eventually get dust on the sensor.
It doesn't matter what lens you use.
It's impossible to avoid, but it's also absolutely nothing to worry about.
Most sensor dust blows out with a rocket blower, and there are sensor cleaning products. I've had 2 DSLR's for 3 years and have cleaned their sensors like maybe 3 times with a blower, and I've NEVER used any cleaning products. A lot of people worry about this, but it's part of the deal with DSLR's.
05-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfee Quote
I don't have a digital SLR yet. If I get a K100D and use old film lenses on it, am I risking getting little specks of dust and dirt on the new cameras sensor? I have always tried to keeep the lenses as clean as possible, but assume the tiniest specks of film dust etc will show up on the digital sensor.
wolfee,

Don't worry about old lenses and the sensor. When you use old lenses they are no more prone to dust problems on the sensor than new ones.

Dust in the lens is generally not a problem in older lenses if only modest amounts of dust are encountered. If you are unsure whether or not the amount of dust is excessive then run a test exposure at all f-stops on a white wall and look for "lens" dust as apposed to sensor dust.

Regardless, if the image artifact from dust is minimal it is easily retouched out in photo processing software.

Good luck and don't waste your time worrying.

Stephen
05-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Your best bet would be to clean the lenses up before using them if you are really worried. But as said before, there isnt any more of a chance of getting dust on the sensor by using an old lens.