Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K7 AF lever?

Guys and Gals,

Does your AF lever 'click' into position on all three modes? MF, AF.C and AF.S?
Mine 'clicks' into MF and softly clicks into AF.S (the top one) but not AF.C. It annoys me... i have to actually look at it to be sure it is in the correct place.

mike

08-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Guys and Gals,

Does your AF lever 'click' into position on all three modes? MF, AF.C and AF.S?
Mine 'clicks' into MF and softly clicks into AF.S (the top one) but not AF.C. It annoys me... i have to actually look at it to be sure it is in the correct place.

mike
Mine acts exactly like yours.
08-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ditto here. A little annoying, but not a biggie for me.
08-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yep, seems to be designed that way. A bit annoying to have no positive feedback as it changes settings. Thankfully, mine almost never leaves the AF.S position.

08-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, judging by the appearance of the switch, you would expect it to 'click' into each position - but surprisingly it doesn't. Oh well, at least we all know that's normal.
08-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #6

Which intrigues me as to why it wasn't made into a toggle/rotate switch like the RAW button. Less chance to fail, easier to seal, less moving parts, easier to put together.
08-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfier Quote
Which intrigues me as to why it wasn't made into a toggle/rotate switch like the RAW button. Less chance to fail, easier to seal, less moving parts, easier to put together.
But you would not be able to see what it is set to.

08-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #8

it can use the top LCD. how important it is to see the AF setting when the camera is turned OFF anyway?
08-21-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfier Quote
it can use the top LCD. how important it is to see the AF setting when the camera is turned OFF anyway?
I often do manual focus when the metering is not active. Manual focus can be done anytime on a dSLR as long as the lens cap is open.

For my style, anyway, its pretty important for me to confirm visually that I'm in MF mode before I proceed. On a DA-lens with Quick-Shift focus, you have no other way of knowing its set to AF if the metering is off.
Pressing on the shutter only to find that I'm in AF mode would spoil everything I had set up beforehand.
08-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I often do manual focus when the metering is not active. Manual focus can be done anytime on a dSLR as long as the lens cap is open.

For my style, anyway, its pretty important for me to confirm visually that I'm in MF mode before I proceed. On a DA-lens with Quick-Shift focus, you have no other way of knowing its set to AF if the metering is off.
Pressing on the shutter only to find that I'm in AF mode would spoil everything I had set up beforehand.
That I understand, but is there a disadvantage of keeping the camera ON? The battery drain is so insignificant it's negligible for most cases.