Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #31
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,831
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Dave,

I used the wet method for cleaning after failed attempts with blower. I can recommend the store with micro-tools run by Curt Fargos, you can see his instruction video that has helped me in cleaning sticky specs. I ran into cases that it took two cleaning to rid the spec

Search with label: http://www.techtheman.com/search/label/sensor%20dust

And another good investment may be to get a sensor lobe to view the sensor with magnification to see the dust spec. It would be more effective if you can see the dust spec in the cleaning. I think the video is worth seeing even if you have the Pentax clean kit as I think the wet cleaning shares similar caution. Curt demonstrates quite in detail how he uses the blower and wet cleaning together.

All the best,
Hin
Thanks I tried again and................................... there was noooooooooh way I ;ll give the vidoe a look thanks

08-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #32
Pentaxian
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,427
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Thanks I tried again and................................... there was noooooooooh way I ;ll give the vidoe a look thanks
Dave, I would suggest that you run the sensor dust checking in K20D to see if sensor check reveals a dust spot on the sensor. That would give you more convincing evidence into the cleaning. I don't have good eyes but in my previous 2 cases when the dust spec were quite sticky, I was able to spot it under bright lighting as under the sun when I tiled the camera left and right while letting reflected light from the sensor, looking like a rainbow in color, to reveal the tiny dust spec location and it also correlates to the dust spot found in the sensor dust checking. The sensor dust checking doesn't work 100% of the time but it does work sometime.

I can be wrong but as far as I can tell, your pictures surely looks like a sticky dust spot that I have seen in the past.

Thanks,
Hin
08-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #33
Pentaxian
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,427
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote

The instruction say one or two drops and I am leary about how much pressure I use. Can't see that a Q-tip would be any better probably worse yes ?

Anyway I will give it a go. Thanks again.
In the video that I posted from Curt Fargo, he suggests 2 to 3 drops. He leans towards two drops. If you have too much drops on the sensor swab or the wipe, it will create streak of moisture likely to attract dust if not dried after the cleaning.

Update: The normal cotton q-tip are not meant to be used in cleaning. Be extremely careful as any lien as residue is not desirable for cleaning. When I bought my package from micro-tools, they include lien-free sensor wipes and low-lien sensor cleaning applicators that look like ordinary q-tips but they seems to be especially designed for the cleaning job with free and low amount of lien.

There is certain section in the video that talks about how much pressure is needed. I will go light first but it is best to see the demo from him first. Watch it several times to get comfortable before you apply the wet cleaning. Also, I don't quite know if the Pentax cleaning kit is any easier than the package that I got from micro-tools. I bought the cheaper one that require me to wrap a sensor wipe along a re-usable sensor wand. The whole package cost about $22+ and I find it a great buy especially when micro-tools send me all the detailed paper and links to study before the actual application.

Read and study a couple of times before your next attempt as you want to be extra cautious in the cleaning.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 08-20-2009 at 05:53 PM.
08-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #34
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,831
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
In the video that I posted from Curt Fargo, he suggests 2 to 3 drops. He leans towards two drops. If you have too much drops on the sensor swab or the wipe, it will create streak of moisture likely to attract dust if not dried after the cleaning.

Update: The normal cotton q-tip are not meant to be used in cleaning. Be extremely careful as any lien as residue is not desirable for cleaning. When I bought my package from micro-tools, they include lien-free sensor wipes and low-lien sensor cleaning applicators that look like ordinary q-tips but they seems to be especially designed for the cleaning job with free and low amount of lien.

There is certain section in the video that talks about how much pressure is needed. I will go light first but it is best to see the demo from him first. Watch it several times to get comfortable before you apply the wet cleaning. Also, I don't quite know if the Pentax cleaning kit is any easier than the package that I got from micro-tools. I bought the cheaper one that require me to wrap a sensor wipe along a re-usable sensor wand. The whole package cost about $22+ and I find it a great buy especially when micro-tools send me all the detailed paper and links to study before the actual application.

Read and study a couple of times before your next attempt as you want to be extra cautious in the cleaning.

Thanks,
Hin
I watched a few times and picked up some good tips. I followed the process to a T. My sensor is now completley spot free EXCEPT for those two nasty spots. I believe they are stuck on there and no amount of wet cleaning or Rocket Blower, Automated Sensor Shake on startup will get them off.

As I have already paid for the Pentax Kit I will wait unitl that gets here, hopefully soon, although I just received and Email they are out of stock so I get the standard blah blah 7-14 days, hopefully the former.

I may order from micr-tools. For now it looks like PS / Lightroom will be my cleaner. Of course I could always just buy a K7 (and I may yet ..... )

08-21-2009, 03:35 AM   #35
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I don't quite know if the Pentax cleaning kit is any easier than the package that I got from micro-tools
Well, the Pentax cleaning kit is a "dry tool".

It has a glueing tip which works as long as the cohesive force between tip and dust exceeds that between dust and sensor.

I am afraid to say that applying a wet cleaning method made the dust spot even stick stronger to the sensor now and no dry method may be able to get it off. But I really hope that I am wrong. A wet method is great of course if the dust speckle was wet from the very beginning, like from a spray of dirt.
08-21-2009, 05:42 AM   #36
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,831
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, the Pentax cleaning kit is a "dry tool".

It has a glueing tip which works as long as the cohesive force between tip and dust exceeds that between dust and sensor.

I am afraid to say that applying a wet cleaning method made the dust spot even stick stronger to the sensor now and no dry method may be able to get it off. But I really hope that I am wrong. A wet method is great of course if the dust speckle was wet from the very beginning, like from a spray of dirt.
Yep these are my hopes as well. I am now 100% convinced it is a foreign object on the sensor and it's stuck on good , perhaps as you suggest cemented on now with all my wet cleaning attempts.

BTW you were spot on as to where the spot was - not sure I could actually see it or I wanted to see it, regardless I did run a Dust Alert as Marc suggested and it showed lower left. I do find the Dust Alert not that consistent though sometimes it shows nothing other times it shows more than there is there - last time it seemed to show exactly what I suspected and what shows up in the pics.

I suspect the foreign object got on the sensor while I was out in the field at a national park recently. It was somewhat breezy, I did change lenses quite often, there was pollen in the air and the mosquitoes and sand flies were as thick as thieves. I thought I was carefull - but it appears not quite carefull enough.

The sensor unfortunately is the motor of the machine, if it is indeed a permanent spot the repair charge will outweigh or come very close to the Camera's overall value.

But no worries - PP can take care of it, I can always get another K20D for a great price these days. As much as the K7 intrigues me - I think now I have convinced myself to at least wait until 2010.

I will update whenever the dern Pentax cleaning kit gets here.
09-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #37
Pentaxian
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,427
Dave,

Can you brief us what end up happening to those sticky spots? I hope you manage to clean it up?

Perhaps, time for a new K-x and K-7.

Thanks,
Hin
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, crop, dslr, photography, sensor, spot, spots
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sensor shift during "long" exposures eclipsed450 Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 12-18-2009 12:51 PM
K10D "Sensor moving" possible problem? jaitas Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 05-07-2009 02:08 PM
How can a lens "outresolve" a sensor? FHPhotographer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 09-29-2008 05:08 PM
"Hunger for a DA*50-135?" or "The DA*50-135 as a bird lens!" or "Iron age birds?" Douglas_of_Sweden Post Your Photos! 4 08-13-2008 06:09 AM
"Green Clean" Sensor Cleaning System. NLAlston Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 2 05-16-2007 07:35 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:57 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top