Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies - I just ordered the Pentax Cleaning Kit - will give that a go. And once it is clean I will have to beak off at the McBain cleaner

08-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I thought it was from the customs having fun with it
hahaha I thought so at first, but it was new, a few rocket air blasts and all was good.
08-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #18
Inactive Account

looks like a dust bunny to me
let us know how the pentax cleaning kit works out.

thanks
jordan
08-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
And how does one determine the difference beteeen pixel issues and spots ?
They just look different. Google for "dead pixels" to see samples. This is sensor dust.

08-20-2009, 05:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will try and clean both spots (lower left and lower right) but just so I understand , when looking at the sensor hole with the camera laying down facing me rightside up (so the flash would be towards the top of my head and the base towards my chin) - if the dust spot is on the upper left corner of a picture looking at it then ....

I have two suggestions where the actual dust bunny is on the sensor

one the spot is lower left
one the spot is lower right

What is the consensus of where it actually is ?
08-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

If you run the Dust Alert feature of the camera, it shows you a picture of the front of the camera overlayed on the image, making it perfectly obviously where the spot is.
08-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Daacon, have a look at this:

On the left is your imaginary picture with a HUGE dusty bunny in the middle of the sun ruining the image. On the right is the camera upside down with sensor exposed and the dustie mapped. So, take a spatula with PEC pad, stuff some eclipse on it (3-4 drops heavy dose) and sweep it clean.

08-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Definitley dust spots
08-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #24
Igilligan

Dave... I have a lens that gives me the type of sharp 'dust' you are showing. There are two dust specs on the rear element of the lens and it completely looks like sensor dust at F16 and up. By F22 it looks like that sharp dust specs you are showing.

I tried cleaning my sensor to get rid of it. After a few attempts, I finally shined a bright light thru the lens and could see the two tiny dust particles in the inside of the rear element.

Are you absolutely sure that the 'dust' is in exactly the same place with two different lenses?

Just a thought...
08-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Dave... I have a lens that gives me the type of sharp 'dust' you are showing. There are two dust specs on the rear element of the lens and it completely looks like sensor dust at F16 and up. By F22 it looks like that sharp dust specs you are showing.

I tried cleaning my sensor to get rid of it. After a few attempts, I finally shined a bright light thru the lens and could see the two tiny dust particles in the inside of the rear element.

Are you absolutely sure that the 'dust' is in exactly the same place with two different lenses?

Just a thought...
Gus there are no absolutes (Well the Death and Taxes thing) - I have tried 4 Lenses DA* 16-50 , DA 12-24 , DA 35LTD and Bigma , they all appear the same. I will give it another round of cleaning / looking tonight as the damn Penatx Cleaning kit is out of stock of course (after they accepted my money) so it may be a week or two before I get it. I will also inspect the lenses. Thanks
08-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Daacon, have a look at this:

On the left is your imaginary picture with a HUGE dusty bunny in the middle of the sun ruining the image. On the right is the camera upside down with sensor exposed and the dustie mapped. So, take a spatula with PEC pad, stuff some eclipse on it (3-4 drops heavy dose) and sweep it clean.
Thanks I like pictures ! Idiot proof
08-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Idiot proof
Obviously not.

I hoped to have clarified this in post #8.

Let me repeat it here ...

Upper left in the image is lower right on the sensor (point-mirrored at the center -- think of a pin hole camera) ... when looking into the same direction ... which is from behind the camera!

Now, when looking from the front of the camera, lower right becomes lower left.

But never mind. You will have to make sure you see the speckle anyway ...
08-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Yea, my bad. I fixed the picture now.
08-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Obviously not.

I hoped to have clarified this in post #8.

Let me repeat it here ...

Upper left in the image is lower right on the sensor (point-mirrored at the center -- think of a pin hole camera) ... when looking into the same direction ... which is from behind the camera!

Now, when looking from the front of the camera, lower right becomes lower left.

But never mind. You will have to make sure you see the speckle anyway ...
Well I appreciate the efforts falconeye - I guess the key is actually seeing it , but I don't like my chances as the 'professional' did not see it however they probably just gave it a cursory swipe and be done, where as I will spend some time this evening in the dark with a flaslight. I don't have any kind of magnifying glass but thanks I now have a good idea of where to sweep anway.

All I have is the VisibleDust Sensor Clean Digital SLR Camera V22912051 visible dust - Vistek Canada Product Detail and VisibleDust UltraMXD-Vswab 1.0x Sensor Cleaning Swabs Green Series Other Camera Accessories V4080470 visible dust - Vistek Canada Product Detail

The instruction say one or two drops and I am leary about how much pressure I use. Can't see that a Q-tip would be any better probably worse yes ?

Anyway I will give it a go. Thanks again.
08-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dave,

I used the wet method for cleaning after failed attempts with blower. I can recommend the store with micro-tools run by Curt Fargos, you can see his instruction video that has helped me in cleaning sticky specs. I ran into cases that it took two cleaning to rid the spec

Search with label: http://www.techtheman.com/search/label/sensor%20dust

And another good investment may be to get a sensor lobe to view the sensor with magnification to see the dust spec. It would be more effective if you can see the dust spec in the cleaning. I think the video is worth seeing even if you have the Pentax clean kit as I think the wet cleaning shares similar caution. Curt demonstrates quite in detail how he uses the blower and wet cleaning together.

All the best,
Hin