Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tip from a Bone Head

When I returned to hot Texas today from an unfortunately truncated trip to comfortable Quebec City, I enjoyed (?) a day-early arrival of a battery grip I perversely ordered to attach to my K10D, which is too *%)$#* big already.

Anyway, I noticed for the first time - for reasons that elude me completely - that images in the view finder were hard to get in focus with my variable lens bifocals. Consequently, I went back to the diopter adjustment that I had performed within minutes after the battery was charged when the camera arrived in November. I was astonished to find the adjustment was way off, and a patient (5-minute) manipulation of the diopter adjustment produced clarity in the view finder that I'd never seen before. I went back to my DS2, did the same thing, and got the same results.

It could be my eyes have changed, but I don't think so. I think that my irrational exuberance to get started with both cameras (when new) caused me to give this necessary camera preparation procedure short schrift.

Thus my tip (from this bone head): take some time to do that adjustment - it really is important.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 05-15-2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: I told you I'm a bone head.
05-15-2007, 06:30 PM   #2

This is one of the funniest posts I've read!

And the REALLY funny thing is that that there will be numerous posts after this which will complain about the poor focusing abilility of the camera when using manual focus lenses!

Thanks for the laugh and the valuable lesson!

Jun (I know I'm going to do the same thing and I owe Salty some royalty payment for this) Park

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
When I returned to hot Texas today from an unfortunately truncated trip to comfortable Quebec City, I enjoyed (?) a day-early arrival of a battery grip I perversely ordered to attach to my K10D, which is too *%)$#* big already.

Anyway, I noticed for the first time - for reasons that elude me completely - that images in the view finder were hard to get in focus with my variable lens bifocals. Consequently, I went back to the diopter adjustment that I had performed within minutes after the battery was charged when the camera arrived in November. I was astonished to find the adjustment was way off, and a patient (5-minute) manipulation of the diopter adjustment produced clarity in the view finder that I'd never seen before. I went back to my DS2, did the same thing, and got the same results.

It could be my eyes have changed, but I don't think so. I think that my irrational exuberance to get started with both cameras (when new) caused me to give this necessary camera preparation procedure short schrift.

Thus my tip (from this bone head): take some time to do that adjustment - it really is important.

Jer