Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #1

K10D Problem - 1 shot has a short horizontal line

Shooting at the wrong time of day for the location, or basically a generally wrong time of day - noon. To get the falls and other highlights within only 4- stops of being beyond blown the area the line was in was deep deep shadow. Haven't ever noticed a horizontal segment before and not in any other shots taken the same time either before or after this one. I'm not sure if it is an exposure issue, or something else, perhaps a bump of the camera while it was writing the image, though if it was a bump I'm sure I woulda noticed this a few times before now.

full image

crop showing the line

05-16-2007, 01:39 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
What brand is the memory card? To me it looks like it could be damaged sectors on the card.
05-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

2 possible causes

QuoteOriginally posted by jnorth Quote
Shooting at the wrong time of day for the location, or basically a generally wrong time of day - noon. To get the falls and other highlights within only 4- stops of being beyond blown the area the line was in was deep deep shadow. Haven't ever noticed a horizontal segment before and not in any other shots taken the same time either before or after this one. I'm not sure if it is an exposure issue, or something else, perhaps a bump of the camera while it was writing the image, though if it was a bump I'm sure I woulda noticed this a few times before now.

full image

crop showing the line
OK, this is either a bad sector on the card, a faulty card reader or a faulty graphics adapter on your PC.

If the first, the original file will appear the same on another computer using any card reader but using the original card.

If the second, it will be OK if you just use a different card reader with the original computer and card.

If the third, it will be OK on any other computer using the original card and card reader.

Good luck!
05-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I had a similar thing happen with my Oly stylus that I use in the field - a vertical line or two of white pixels somewhere in the middle of the photo. Everything else on the card was fine. It hasn't happened again, so I put it down to a transient problem in writing the file. Sort of a cybernetic hiccough. Unless it starts happening a lot, I wouldn't worry about it.

Julie

05-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
I had a similar thing happen with my Oly stylus that I use in the field - a vertical line or two of white pixels somewhere in the middle of the photo. Everything else on the card was fine. It hasn't happened again, so I put it down to a transient problem in writing the file. Sort of a cybernetic hiccough. Unless it starts happening a lot, I wouldn't worry about it.

Julie
Cosmic rays
05-16-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

My DS did it once when it was only a few weeks old. Same type of line, but much shorter. Never changed card reader, card or computer. Was having problem with dodgy nimh batts (way before the glorious introduction of Eneloops). Has never done it since.
The Olympus E300 did something weird once. It took 3 cloud shoots and put them on the same frame! One shot was full size the other two were "on top" each taking up half the frame. That was a card problem.
thanks
barondla
05-17-2007, 12:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Cosmic rays
First detection ever of a magnetic monopole!
Congratulation!

Send it to CERN.
05-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow!

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
First detection ever of a magnetic monopole!
Congratulation!

Send it to CERN.
Or a strange quark?

05-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #9
Forum Member

Have you upgraded the K10D firmware? I seem to recall one of the early upgrades helped resolve an issue with lines on images....