Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Mode switch fix for *iST-DL and possibly other models

For a while I've noticed that when my trusty old Vivitar 285 flash is mounted on the hotshoe of my *ist-DL, occasionally I get wildly overexposed photos. More recently I saw the camera revert to another mode during a Manual exposure astro photo. Later it got so bad that when I was in P mode it would jump into Autopicture, when I was in Aperture priority it would jump into Manual. Slight pressure or movement of the camera top was making the camera randomly jump into multiple modes.

A slight pressure on the "flash up" button occasionally cured it for a few minutes, but the issue made it impossible to rely upon to take or even review photos! The company I had my service plan through was out of business and repair options in Ireland are limited and expensive so I decided to try to fix it myself. If you try this, be aware that it is very risky and should only be attempted if you are experienced at this sort of thing and/or have written off the camera ;-)

The problem turned out to be a very slight residue (corrosion?) on the printed circuit contacts beneath the mode switch. A quick wipe with 97% isopropyl alcohol fixed it. The real trick is removing the top of the camera to get at the circuit board and putting it back in working order. Here is how I did it for the *ist-DL. A similar technique may be possible for *ist-D and other models. But the good seals in the K7 should make this kind of problem unlikely to occur, even here in rainy, windy, salty Ireland.