Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I have the K100D and have been thinking of an upgrade, especially for low light shooting.
I don't think either the K20D (which I use extensively) or the K-7 (which I do not have) will improve low light and high ISO images significantly.

The K20D is more responsive in general operations than the K100DS and is handier to use. In fact there is a big improvement in ergonomics and general feel, at the cost of more weight and a larger frame. The K-7 is no better in responsiveness though most users report better AF. I am not as fond of the ergonomics, which in some ways are a step backwards. Metering is also reportedly more stable on the K20D.

Of course you get a whole swath of new features with each new body. Whether they matter to you or not.

08-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
BTW, the performance difference is HUGE. Still getting used to the exposure though. Metering is fin with the DA lenses but a bit erratic with the takumars. The k100d didn't always get it right either but it was a lot more consistent, ie it would always get it wrong in the same way, the k7 is just more erratic.

mike
What??? Deal killer! If everyone experiences what Mike Cash reported for his K20D I think this is actually a huge point for the K20... on the ergo, I guess people have different hands. The curved middle finger grip is what annoys me, but as people said above I might get used to it eventually.

@rparmar: I've seen alot of reaaally clean ISO 1600 images from the K20D that I just can't get from the K100D, but I don't really know, honestly
08-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The k7 will be consistent in teh same light (eg over by 1 stop) and then when the light changes it maybe spot on. The k100d would be more variable based on F-stop, eg wide open it maybe under 2 stops and at 5.6 it would be ok.

THen again i haven't shot taks with it that much and it could be due to spot metering. Rather than the zone i am using with DA.

BTW, the low light AF between k7 and k100d is worlds apart. K7 wins easily.
08-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
@rparmar: I've seen alot of reaaally clean ISO 1600 images from the K20D that I just can't get from the K100D, but I don't really know, honestly
I should try a comparison sometime, since I have both cameras. It's just a gut feeling that they are much the same. Then again I don't use over ISO 800.