Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it's definitely true that even with the NiMH rechargeables, voltage tends to be only slightly above the threshold, and if your particular cells are a little weaker than average, you won't get many shots before they fall below the voltage threshold. This can happen to cells over time, I find. It should still be the case that a freshly charged (with a good slow charger - not a 15-minute job) set of relatively new NiMH's should last hundreds of shots in the K100D. If you're not getting that, you should consider replacing the cells and/or the charger, and if that doesn't help, you should consider sending the camera in for service. Because it is *not* normal that the K100D would be unable to work with properly charged, relatively new (say, less than a few hundred recharge cycles) NiMH cells, particular the hybrid ones like Eneloops.

But it is also true that using Lithiums - or, presumably, the new NiZn rechargeables - will solve this issue as well, since their basic operaitng voltage is much higher.

09-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

My case is different from many people here it seems. I always notice that the eneloops would last me around 400 shots or so per charge over the course of two weeks. If I shoot one thousand shot in a duration of 5 hours the battery doesn't seem to run out. So it's definitely not just the number of shots that's involved.
09-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To back up what Mike is saying, what is unusual here is not that you are having trouble now but that you were able to use AA Alkaline batteries for so long. The K1x0D batterie issue has a long history on this forum. They require a higher battery voltage than most any other camera.

The manual on page 26 says of Alkaline AA, "We do not recommend their use except in emergencies and checking the camera's functionality."

I have 28 Sanyo Eneloops (for four K1x0Ds and a Fuji). They were bought between January and May 2008 (as in 15-19 months old). I cycle them around regularly, replacing a set after any long photo shoot. I carry a spare set with me though I seldom use it. I almost never run out of power.

With standard NiMH I was running out all the time and buying new sets. Also standard NiMH would go "dead" in a couple of weeks with the camera never turned on.

Leo Taylor