Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K100D Issues with Batteries but maybe more than that.

I hope I'm not saying something that is already on this thread.. if so, someone please direct me. I looked but really didn't see anything.

I've owned my k100d for about 2 1/2 years now. I have a tendency to use it a lot and then put it up for a while. I've never had issues with using regular AA batteries, in fact they have been fine. even keeping them in the camera when I'm not using them. The battery life wasn't long, but I could take 50 plus pictures, put the camera away for a few days or even weeks and go back and be able to take many more photos.

Recently I was away on holiday and realized that the batteries were starting to go a lot quicker than normal. to the point of going flat in the camera and I would have to reset the date and time. this never happened before.

I'm now at the point where I put in a set of batteries the other day to go to a photography class, didn't use the camera while there and at the end of the dicussion period (about 2 1/2 hours after I put the batteries in) the instructor had me change a setting on my camera and in a few seconds the batteries just died.

He advised that it may not be a battery issue but possibly a short in the electrical system. I have never dropped the camera, gotten it wet, nothing.. so really am clueless at this point.

Today I used the camera with fresh AA (duracell batteries) for a class photo shoot. I took 52 photos and the batteries, at least once showed depleted. I have a tendancy to turn off the camera in between shots to save battery power, but it didn't really seem to help..

Any help with this would be great. I am, hopefully, getting either Energizer Lithium (non-rechargeable) or a set of some type (not sure yet) of rechargeable. I'm actually more afraid this is an internal issue and I'll have to send the camera in to be checked by Pentax..

08-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #2

Original Poster
well I got the new batteries (where I live the ones I want are incredibly expensive).. but they are not the ones I wanted.. or asked for (even sent an e-mail with photos of the ones requested)..

Anyway.. I'll try them.. they are rechargeable.. so if they die.. well then I'll recharge them.. and use them for something else.

anyone ever had this issue.. or is it just me.. Time to uprade?? except that I like my camera..
08-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Never had an issue with my K100D Super....

Sorry i cannot offer any more help

I use 2000mAh ni-mh (uni-ross) or a Travor battery grip!
hope you can solve your problem as they are a fab camera!
08-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
You're describing an oft discussed power issue with the K100D.
It's a high-drainage device requiring strong AAs to do the job.
Having to reset the time & day whenever power runs down usually means an internal battery failure (not related to the AAs).
Your first set of AAs sound like they're either in need of rejuvenation or replacement - they've served you well.
The second set of batts don't sound like they're of sound quality, so you couldn't expect much from them on the K100D.
If you really want goo long-lasting performance, either get the reputable lithium variety or a reliable high-power rated rechargeable, like the Energizer 2500mAh or Powerex 2700mAh or Sony Eneloops. They ARE worth the extra cost and anything less is a significant compromise.

No you don't NEED an upgrade, you need better batteries - and perhaps an internal battery replacement.

08-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Get the hybrid rechargeable batteries or the ones that come usually "pre-charged".
It has that label on the battery packaging.
It comes in the known names as Sanyo eneloop, Rayovac hybids, Kodak pre-charged, etc.
Hope these would work!
08-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks very much for responding and the assistance..

for 2 1/2 years I've only used Duracell regular AA batteries.. the better kind, but still non-rechargeable. They lasted long each time I used them.. never had problems.. no all of the sudden, problems..

I sort of like the idea that it may be an internal battery issue.. but how do I solve that.?? Send the camera back to Pentax?? or do I find a camera place that can change..it..

I'm going to source some of the enloope batteries, as I've read about them and all sounds good.. (or the hybrids etc..) and used those for a while.

Funny thing happened today.. put in 4 Duracel Precharged 2000mah batteries. didn't turn the camera on to start taking pictures for about 15 min.. When I did, the meter showed half power and with in about 15shots I had no power at all. oh joy.
08-24-2009, 06:19 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This doesn't sound right if you're putting in brand new fully charged batteries. Though be weary that 'precharged' may not necessarily mean fully charged straight from the pack - the pack may have been sitting in the shop for 6 months, after which most of its charge may have dissipated.

If the short -life is also occuring with brand new non-rechargeables of good quality (like Energizer lithiums), then there really is something else going on... ?short-circuit somewhere - definitely worth having it looked at by your local camera repairman/Pentax.

08-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The camera was *not* designed to work with "regular" (presumably these are alkaline) AA's. It might let you take a few pictures, maybe even a few dozen or a hundred if you're lucky, but you need to use either good quality rechargeables (like the Eneloops you see recommended here over and over and over and over and over - for good reason!) or else lithium non-rechargeables, which are much more expensive in the long run. Do yourself a favor and forget alkalines or even ordinary rechargeables - get Eneloops or similar low self-discharge "hybrid" rechargeables.
08-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've got an K100D aswell.I'm currently using Duracell rechargeables 2650mAH.And I must say that they last quite a while before they deplete on me.So maybe it is a problem with the inners of your K100D.

Last edited by Barnster; 08-24-2009 at 07:56 PM.
09-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #10

Original Poster
I'm sorry.. according to my information there was nothing I received when I got the camera that said anything about special batteries.. as a matter of fact it shows AA on the battery compartment.

let me try to explain again. I've used regular AA alkaline batteries for the last 2 1/2 years. I've had no problems.. take tons of pictures.. kept the batteries in the camera for days and weeks without shooting anything and the batteries still were good.

in Mid July, while on vacation, I was using my camera, likely more than normal, using regular batteries.. and on a couple of occasions I realized that the batteries would go dead a lot quicker. Upon return, I did some "test" runs with batteries and realized that the problem had gotten worse. One afternoon I put fresh batteries in my camera, let them in for about 4 hours without even taking a shot and when I went to turn the camera on, they were dead..

I've purchased some 2500mah rechargeable and while they are working, they still lose charge very quickly.. I still managed to take 65 shots on Saturday Morning with regular Duracell non-rechargeable batteries.

According to a photographer friend, it sounds like a short in the electrical system. I live in Barbados and it's very hard for me to send this camera to Pentax to get the problem diagnosed and fixed I've only had this camera for 2 1/2 years and honestly don't feel that this should happen on this type of camera.

The reason for writing here, was to see if anyone else had experienced a similar problem... I guess I'm the only "idiot" who used regular batteries in my digital camera, but I somehow doubt that is the problem..

If there is anyone out there on this board who has experienced this type of problem, I would be grateful to hear the solution..

thanks you.
09-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sunniebgi Quote
I'm sorry.. according to my information there was nothing I received when I got the camera that said anything about special batteries..
You don't need "special" batteries. Ordinary NiMH and Lithium AA cells available at any electronics store - even many convenience stores - work fine. It's only alkalines that don't work well. Maybe you got lucky for a while and managed to find some alkalines that were able to last longer than most, but you were living on borrowed time. You need to give up on the notion that alkalines are going to work well for you, because in general, they won't. Read the warning in the manual on page 26 - alkaline batteries are *not recommended* for use "except in emergencies and checking the camera's functionality". They work, but poorly. Exactly as stated in the manual.

QuoteQuote:
as a matter of fact it shows AA on the battery compartment.
Right, because that is the type of battery it takes. The alkalines don't work very well with the camera, but NiMH and Lithium do. Exactly as described in the manual. Apparently NiZn works well too; these weren't generally available yet when the K100D came out, so the manual doesn't mention them.

QuoteQuote:
I've purchased some 2500mah rechargeable and while they are working, they still lose charge very quickly
Again, that's normal. Ordinary NiMH cells are good for hundreds of shots if used within a week or two, but lose their charge relatively quickly when not in use, so they aren't a great choice for people who might take weeks or months to get to that many shots. Also, older NiMH cells often have trouble maintaining a high enough voltage level to work as long as they otherwise could. Both because of the self discharge issue and the voltage issue, most people using Pentax DSLR's that take AA's have switched to the low-self-discharged "hybrid" rechargeables like Sanyo Eneloops or the various other similar brands. These work *great*.

QuoteQuote:
I live in Barbados and it's very hard for me to send this camera to Pentax to get the problem diagnosed and fixed
Once more, there is no "problem" - your camera is acting exactly likes everyone else's. Get the right kind of batteries and your difficulties disappear *instantly*.
09-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Y

Once more, there is no "problem" - your camera is acting exactly likes everyone else's. Get the right kind of batteries and your difficulties disappear *instantly*.
you didn't read what I wrote. I have used regular AA alkaline batteries in my camera for 2 1/2 years.. yes I had to replace them but not like I've had to in the last 2 months. Why would a brand new Alkaline battery go dead in a matter of 2 hours if I never even touched the camera. meaning I put the battery in.. I switched it on to see what the sensor said, it was full.. I switched the camera off.. drove to class.. 2 hours later at the end of class I turned the camera back on to re do something as per the instructor. it worked for all of about 5 min then the batter senor showed empty. how can this possibly be a problem with just the batteries.

This cannot be normal.. I'm currently using brand new rechargeable batteries.. pre-charged.. put them in one time and with in 20 min they are completely depleted.

I'm guessing no one else has had this problem so I'll go elsewhere.
09-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sunniebgi Quote
you didn't read what I wrote. I have used regular AA alkaline batteries in my camera for 2 1/2 years..
I read it, and responded to that comment: you've simply gotten lucky, and now your luck has ended. Whether or not you happened to have unusually good luck with alkalines in the past, they were never *supposed* to work in the first place, so there's no point in continuing to try or wondering why they don't work any more. Put that aside, and concentrate now on your issues with the batteries tht 8are* supposed to work:

QuoteQuote:
I'm currently using brand new rechargeable batteries.. pre-charged.. put them in one time and with in 20 min they are completely depleted.
Did you charge them yourself in a known good charger? The charge they arrive with from the factory might not be a full charge - after all, they could have been packaged yers ago for all you know. So I wouldn't assume right away you have a problem. What charger are you using? Do you have a voltmeter to test the batteries that are coming out of it?

If you continue to have this problem after inserting freshly-charged batteries that you charged yourself using a known good charger, *then* you have a problem. Is that the case?
09-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #14

I just skimmed the thread, so sorry if I'm repeating anything, but here's my experiences and understanding of the problems with the K100D.

Standard AA batteries are 1.5-1.6V, whereas rechargables (whether NiMH or hybrids) are 1.2.
The problem with many K100Ds is that their "shut off voltage" is too high. This was the case with my copy. NiMH were crap, but switching to Enelopps/Hybrios didn't help, since while the batteries held charge much better, their operating voltage was still just above the camera's shut-off threshold. So a 75% charged battery would appear dead to the camera. This would lead to an annoying dance of "camera dies - switch it back on - take 2 shots - camera dies" as the batteries oscillated around this voltage. I had much better mileage with alkalines, as they had a longer way to go before their voltage dropped to this level.

The solution? CR-V3 batteries - these tend to have an even higher base voltage. One set lasted for well over 1000 shots. I have some rechargeable CR-V3s on order at the moment, I sahll see how those fare.

Last edited by PolishMike; 09-04-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: typos
09-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I had a similar issue with my recharchable batteries with my K100. After much research online I discivered that this an internal fault with this model (very technical). The solution for me was Lithium batteris, the first set lasted for over one year (prob over 1,000 shots)!