Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Shutters on film cameras give out too. But many are designed to be replaceable/serviceable, which isn't necessarily as true with digital.
No? You can get shutters replaced on all the Canon DSLRs at any of the Canon service facilities. I'd imagine it is the same for Pentax. If anything, DSLRs see far more actuations than the film cameras ever did, so a 100k shutter isn't what it used to be.

08-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Coffee thank you for the explanation on the SDM, appreciated.

My choice of going with an older camera now is just to use and get me familar with DSLRs. Next year I hope to buy a newer one. I have always had more than one camera.

And pingflood, thanks for that information also.

The K100D will be here tomorrow night. I don't know yet how long I get to look at it, he has not said. And as generous as he is being, I wouldn't want to assume he'd let me keep it for any length of time.
08-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
No? You can get shutters replaced on all the Canon DSLRs at any of the Canon service facilities. I'd imagine it is the same for Pentax. If anything, DSLRs see far more actuations than the film cameras ever did, so a 100k shutter isn't what it used to be.
Makes sense. I guess I just hadn't heard of this being done, so I hedged and said it wasn't necessarily as true, as opposed to saying it isn't true at all.
08-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
A snag in the plans to get the use of the K100D. Problem with wife might be getting sick so he's put off the meet until maybe Sunday.

12-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I realize this is a few months old but wanted to comment again on buying a K100. I found a K100D Super for less than $250 and will be buying this camera on Friday. I thought about getting an ist DS but not sure that would be what I want. The only good thing I see about that camera is it's about $100 less than the K100D Super.
12-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I realize this is a few months old but wanted to comment again on buying a K100. I found a K100D Super for less than $250 and will be buying this camera on Friday. I thought about getting an ist DS but not sure that would be what I want. The only good thing I see about that camera is it's about $100 less than the K100D Super.
Get the new K-x. It is a quantum leap in performance over the K100D Super and well worth the extra money. With a used camera, you're probably out of warranty with a high shutter count.
12-30-2009, 12:30 AM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's a good idea except I don't have that kind of money laying around and I have no credit cards to use.

12-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
That's a good idea except I don't have that kind of money laying around and I have no credit cards to use.
Then, you shouldn't be buying any new camera gear.
12-30-2009, 12:41 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I don't know the figures for Pentax, but the Canon rebels are rated to 300000 actuations. Let's do the math, if you get your film for free and pay $5 per 25 frames.... you have to pay $60000 before your camera gives out... even with 100000 actuation shutters, we're talking of an outlay of $20000 before your camera kicks the bucket.

A sobering thought.

So when you camplain about shutters dieing on a dSLR, take a second to calculate how much the camera saved you in film and developing costs!
12-30-2009, 01:11 AM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
dragonfly, what's your point? I have enough to buy a used camera, and I'll do that, but I do not need you to tell me I shouldn't. I'm an adult last time I looked.

keyser, I'm not sure I understand what you mean either.

Right now I have two film cameras that haven't seen much action because of film prices and developing the film costs. Plus with a digital I'll be able to see what I shot right away instead of days later.
12-30-2009, 02:31 AM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
The sensor is smaller than the 35mm frame. The image is cropped.
As for the crippled mount:
Features and Operation of the crippled Kaf Mount

I honestly can't see much crop on the K10 using my old lenses. Its not that bad.
12-30-2009, 02:33 AM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
Then, you shouldn't be buying any new camera gear.

Wow.

Voted for "most worthless post of the year"
12-30-2009, 03:11 AM   #43
juu
Veteran Member

I think you will be happy with the K100D or the K100D Super. It is a really great camera, just try to get it from a reputable place and cheap, preferrably with the kit lens (which is good for a kit lens).

If I were you I'd also look at the used K10Ds, they might be within your budget too.

Good luck.
12-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #44

I would second that thought on considering a used K10. Best Buy has a refurbished one for $380.00:
Pentax k10d - BestBuy

I got mine about two years ago and have been very pleased. The extra control wheel under the shutter button (k100 doesn't have this) is a big help to change settings on the fly, rather than using just the control wheel on the back of the camera.

If not Best Buy, try the photo marketplace here. Used K10 bodies are usually listed ~$250.00 or so, depending on condition and shutter count.

Hope this helps!
12-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
juu thanks for the comments. I can only afford to buy a K100D or K100D Super. And it's coming from a store not ebay. The store is reputable, I've bought from them before.

rottie lover, sorry but I can't buy anything that costs $300 and over. I'm disabled, you see, and on a fixed income. Not a big income either.

I've checked our marketplace, I didn't see any K10's listed at what you said.

When I started this thread, those that helped initially, talked about shutter count and they are of the mind I probably won't use up what is left on a used camera before I'm ready to and can afford to, buy another newer DSLR.