Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #46
Veteran Member

All these 'reputable' places costa fair whack more than using the marletplace here. Buy off the right person and you're fine. ebay is shark infested and KEH in the US is expensive though it may be worth trying them as I am sure they have a HEAP of 100D's lying about.

12-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Buy what you can afford. I have seen a couple of very sad posts from folks who bought lenses that they couldn't afford and other gear as well. The only way you should buy on credit is if it is for a business, otherwise, wait until you can afford it, even if it is a long wait. Part of the reason for the current financial crisis is that people need some sort of instant gratification. You will be very happy with the K100.
12-30-2009, 11:10 PM   #48
Inactive Account

Just work it out with someone where you can make installments of payments. Thats how I got my K10.

You shouldn't worry about shutter count, think how many 20+ year old cameras are still working. They worked the same way then as they do now, and are built basically the same. The truth of the matter is its just like a car...it WILL completly die beyond all redneck, voodoo, or whatever engineering you can do to make it last another day someday and when it does get a new one.
12-31-2009, 10:45 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raptorman Quote
I honestly can't see much crop on the K10 using my old lenses. Its not that bad.
Well, it's going to more noticeable in some focal lengths than others. But the difference shooting anything wider than 70mm should be pretty striking. That is, if you could see the difference between a 35mm lens and a 50mm lens on the same camera, or between a 24mm lens and a 35mm lens, then you can see the effect of the crop factor. It's enough to make a pretty significant difference in how most lenses function (eg, 28 is no longer wide angle, 50 is no longer normal, etc).

12-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I went to order the K100D Super and it had already sold. So I'm going with the K100D instead. Will be ordering it here shortly.

This camera is just to get me used to Digital SLRs; while next year I hope to have saved some money and can buy a K-x, or similar. I figure what I save in film and processing, I can bank.
12-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
juu thanks for the comments. I can only afford to buy a K100D or K100D Super. And it's coming from a store not ebay. The store is reputable, I've bought from them before.

rottie lover, sorry but I can't buy anything that costs $300 and over. I'm disabled, you see, and on a fixed income. Not a big income either.

I've checked our marketplace, I didn't see any K10's listed at what you said.

When I started this thread, those that helped initially, talked about shutter count and they are of the mind I probably won't use up what is left on a used camera before I'm ready to and can afford to, buy another newer DSLR.
Don't let these guys give you a hard time about what you can afford. The cost/benefit of getting up to a K10d may make sense, but it won't help you if you just don't have the scratch.

As for shutter counts, with amateur cameras, you just never know. You could get a hardly-used 'closet camera' that someone bought when it cost a lot, got bored with, and only took out on holidays, or something an obsessive shutterbug leaned on for five years straight.

Sometimes it's like cheaper cars, too. Maybe they made fifty million casualties of time and defects, but the couple thousand Chevettes still on the road at this point probably aren't quitting any time soon.
12-31-2009, 11:50 AM   #52
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Done. Will be here next Wednesday or Thursday.

Thanks Lady. I don't usually let these guys get to me, but when you're outta cash, and try to explain without sounding like I'm whining, it's hard to hold back from saying what you really want to tell them. LOL

The store couldn't tell me the actual shutter counts but the camera is purported to be in EX+ shape, so I'll keep my fingers crossed it's not shot its total actuations.
12-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Did you get the kit lens too? Looking at your glas syou coul duse one. If not, there is one on th emarketplace for very little and it's as good a lens a syou'll ever get for that price.

12-31-2009, 12:09 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Hi, Photolady. Good to see you again. I wouldn't sweat the condition in this case. I think these cameras are more likely to be totally broken than 'a little out of whack' anyway, but it should be easy enough to find out. For next year, I'd suggest trying to get into a K20d, rather than rebuying the cheapest-serviceable machine of the year. I got a lucky break to bypass much of my upgrade path by jumping right into one, (saved rebuying in a big way) but this K100D ought to get you going as long as nothing's bent. I would have done similarly if things hadn't come about just so for me.
12-31-2009, 12:21 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Did you get the kit lens too? Looking at your glas syou coul duse one. If not, there is one on th emarketplace for very little and it's as good a lens a syou'll ever get for that price.
Well, you bring up a good point. I'd watch out for that Ricoh lens on the digital, cause the pin might get stuck in the AF screw socket, which often happens, (don't mount that, unless it works on your other AF bodies without problems) but I believe all the others should meter properly for you. Screwmount lens fans seem to like these cameras for just that reason.

A kit lens or anything of a shorter FL would be a good next step. Easy to get, these. But anything with an 'a' setting will help you get used to the digital interface. (This should be pretty similar in practice to your Mz-7: an *autofocus* lens will really fully interact with the electronics and probably be the best way to learn what's going on with the computereyness.)
12-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #56
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Alfisti, no I didn't buy a kit lens as I didn't have enough money for both.

I'll take note, Lady on the Ricoh. I haven't even used that one much even with the film cameras. I tend to shoot nature so I use the Sears and the Sigma most times. If you remember I had a Sigma 35-70 or similar but had to return it because it had fungus inside. I can pick up another in a month or two.

I wanted to ask also. When I got the MZ-7 a few months after, I bought a Remote F, for it. Can I use that with the K100D?
12-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #57
Veteran Member

You will enjoy the 20D, a great camera indeed!

QuoteQuote:
Sony is going to release a new full frame camera for less than $2,000.
Sony a850 is just over $2,000 AUD and dropping.
12-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #58
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I didn't buy the K20D I bought the K100D. I am a Pentaxian from way back so Sony, Nikon, Canon are not even close to what I want.
12-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I didn't buy the K20D I bought the K100D
Sorry missed that part! Thought that for a bit more $ the K20 would be a lot more "future proof". I just sold my K100 to get the K20 and certainly havn't regretted it.
01-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #60
Site Supporter

The K100D is a great starter DSLR. You will enjoy it. Simple and straight forward to use.

Just be careful of those made for Ricoh lenses out there. Getting the lens stuck isn't fun. Have removed a few for people.

Have fun. You won't believe how many more shots you take. It can be very liberating.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #26 WINNERS in compact camera forum. Enter #27. Any brand camera. Enter now!