Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #61
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words barondla. I'm counting the days down. Though it won't ship til Monday, I was told it should be here either Wednesday or Thursday. I'm excited to tell you the truth. No more waiting for film processing.

There is going to be a ballon show here next weekend. My brother wants to go ride one so I'm going to take the K100D out with us. Hopefully, I'll have had enough time before hand to get used to this new toy and be able to get some good shots.

01-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #62

Negative cash back

QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
That's not a bad price, but I assume you are in the US? B&H Photo has them cheaper. Also check out this recent thread where you can use Bing cashback to your advantage. The K20D should be an excellent choice.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/70828-k20d-body-on...-cashback.html

Always check the price before and after the cash back. Here is an article on how the price gets bumped up when using cash back.

Negative Cashback from Bing Cashback
01-02-2010, 12:45 AM   #63
juu
Veteran Member

You've made a good choice, K100D is a great camera and I'm very happy with mine. Yes, something more expensive would be a bit better, but buying what you can afford is way more important.
01-02-2010, 04:54 AM   #64
Veteran Member

The k100d/ k100dsuper is a great camera, get some ray-o-vac hybrid rechargeables or eneloops and you are good to go. I got a super for back-up when they had the rebate in 2007 and used it all summer 2008 when my k10d crapped out. You just have to plan your shots so the buffer doesn't fill up and cause you to miss a shot, no big deal. It takes nice sharp pictures too.

01-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
juu thanks for the comments and support of my decision.

Nice photos borno, love the backlit one.

But what does this mean?
QuoteQuote:
You just have to plan your shots so the buffer doesn't fill up.
I thought as long as I had a SD card in there, it would be fine.
01-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
But what does this mean? I thought as long as I had a SD card in there, it would be fine.
Only if you're not taking RAW shots in quick successions (burst mode, less than 1 second between shots). K100d can only do three before the buffer fills. Once you have it, just try it out. I dont find it to be too limiting; if I need longer bursts I switch to JPEG.
01-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Andi, appreciate the explanation.

01-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K100 and its a very nice basic camera. The super model is the same camera with the ability to use the SDM lenses. The difference between the K100 and the *ist models are one of SR or shake reduction. The K100 was the first model that Pentax put shake reduction / image stabilization on. It - SR works well, its a small, 6MP camera that quite a lot of people use all the time.
01-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #69
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
One other thing the Super has that the non super doesn't. The ability to use SDHC cards but I've got the firmware to upgrade that option on the K100D. And I like the idea of having shake reduction. I also like that I don't have to have a grip to use AA batteries. My film cameras both have the adapter to use AA batteries but that makes the cameras heavier.
01-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations on ordering you first Dslr. I just sent you a PM and I hope you will consider my offer.

Tim
01-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #71
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
PM responded and email sent. Thank you very very much.

I'm sure I'll enjoy this DSLR. I've had a digital but it was a p&s and I just sold that to my brother.

I asked this before about SD card brands. Does anyone use PNY cards? I hope they are ok to use as I just bought a new one for the new camera yesterday.
01-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The PNY card should be fine. The only difference between cards is the writing speed. I use the lower speed cards all the time and for the casual shooters like us, you should have no problem.

Tim
01-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #73
Veteran Member

A good cheap card is Delkin class 6 from B+H in NYC, VERY cheap too.

Save yourself a HUGE amount of grief and get eneloop batteries, regular rechargables are soon going to have you flinging the camera across the room in agitation.
01-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #74
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have never heard of Delkin SD cards. I had a SanDisk with the p&s I sold to my brother. It was a 2gb SD card.

I plan on getting some eneloops next month. This month I'm using Ray O Vac rechargeables.
01-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Rayovacs (Rayovac hybrid right?) should perform very similarly to eneloops, so you dont have to get eneloops unless you want your extra batteries to be of different color (I got two sets of both for this purpose, juggling four sets of eneloops and keeping track of which is which would be pretty hard!)