Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2009, 04:44 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is NOT unique to Pentax:

EOS AF Reality and 'canon hear this' - Photo.net Canon EOS Forum

Canon 5D Mark II AF Problem! - Photo.net Canon EOS Forum

Same issue, same responses. Take charge of your camera for the critical shot. This has been the way with AF since the Canon AE-1 (so simple, even Stevie Wonder can use it!).

08-24-2009, 05:07 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
Wheatfield, I can certainly relate to your issue as I've had my cameras do this to me multiple times. This is indeed an annoying issue but after rolling my K20 and K10 counters multiple times, I've learned to quickly force the camera to relock AF by repressing the shutter halfway down and to pre-focus to the closest spot then refocus on the intended target.

It doesn't always work, but it has certainly made it less frequent of an issue, particularly at weddings where most ceremonies are predictable/planned in advance.

Do you have catch in-focus on? It can help, though this as well can be a PITA in low-light.

I've debated on adding an LED light to my cameras, somehow attached to my flash unit, though I haven't found one that doesn't look like a coal-miner's attachment.
I really think for my shooting style, just going back to manual focus will be the solution. I use the camera primarily in portrait orientation at these things, so switching from AF to MF is not a fast option, certainly not fast enough to catch something fleeting if the camera fails to fire in AF.
After a thousand or so weddings all done as the sole shooter, I do find them very predictable, but all this means is that I have a very good success with being in the right place at the right time to get the right picture.
The camera still has to do it's job by taking the picture at the right time. If I can't trust it to do it, I need to adjust my shooting method to compensate for the camera's technical failings.
08-24-2009, 06:16 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Like synthesizer filter knob but with three steps. Digital cameras are boring because there are not enough knobs to turn.
Good lord, man, that's not a knob, it's a rotary potentiometer!

P.S. I use MF when the going gets tough. Best thing Pentax could do for me would be to provide a setting for catch-in-focus when using AF lenses.
08-24-2009, 06:23 AM   #49
Inactive Account

Yea it is! But every synth freak calls those knobs Those are very user friendly when adjusting parameters and stepped ones provide nice tactile feedback when fiddling with 'em. AF selector with this approach could have three modes separated by 45 degree angles when rotating the "knob". Very clear and also usable with gloves provided that the "knob" is large enough.

08-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
On K-7, custom function 14 set to off is the most important setting in my opinion. It let you focus when you want with the AF button and it let you take pictures at exactly the right moment.

So you prefocus a few seconds before taking pictures and are ready for that special moment.
Can't you do that anyway even if the function is set to on? I have mine on and will prefocus with the AF button to set up for the "moment" just as I understand you are suggesting.
08-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Yup. I do find it annoying that 25 years after AF was invented, Pentax still doesn't have one that works reliably.
Not to forget that it was Pentax who invented it for 35mm SLR ...
QuoteQuote:
The Pentax ME-F, which used focus sensors in the camera body coupled with a motorized lens, became the first autofocus 35 mm SLR in 1981
[Source: Autofocus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]

AF itself was first introduced by Leica 33 years ago.
08-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #52
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Not to forget that it was Pentax who invented it for 35mm SLR ...

[Source: Autofocus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]

AF itself was first introduced by Leica 33 years ago.
they didn't invent AF for the 35mm SLR. they were just the first to bring a working example to the market. there is a huge difference between being the first to market and the inventor. a lot of credit can go to Honeywell.
08-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Yea it is! But every synth freak calls those knobs
Or "pots", but maybe that's a UK thing.

08-24-2009, 08:10 AM   #54
Veteran Member

The only think I can think is that the AF locked and the subject moved slightly out of focus prior to the shutter release, thereby negating the focus lock. I'm also wondering if the AF sensor isn't a bit colour blind and so wasn't seeing as well as it could have.
That shouldn't be a problem. I only use center AF point and often lock AF and the recompose the image, bringing the in-focus poart way outside the focus point. The camera can be triggered reliably. If the camera recognized in-focus, it will fire - or something else is wrong.

I was ranting a bit to one of the shooters at the studio, a D300 user. She was completely aghast that a camera would drop the ball that way. Apparently this is not an issue with her Nikon. It locks on and takes the picture every time.

Pentax has a way to go in the AF department still. This isn't really surprising, they are still using what is essentially an 8 year old AF system.
Yes, Pentax is lagging behind. But I have yet to hear a pro photographer who has not experienced AF problems, either with Canon or Nikon (don't know anybody with Olympus and Sony, but I doubt they are without failures).

Nevertheless, sorry to hear about your plight. I shot a wedding ten days ago and the Pentax AF was very good throughout the whole shoot (out of 800 shots app. 10 out of focus).

Ben
08-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #55
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
...This has been the way with AF since the Canon AE-1 (so simple, even Stevie Wonder can use it!)...

Steve

(The AE-1 had AF?????)
08-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

(The AE-1 had AF?????)
Stevie Wonder has a seeing eye photographer
08-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #57
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

(The AE-1 had AF?????)
nope. sure didn't.
08-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #58
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
nope. sure didn't.
Or whatever that Canon I got way back when was called
08-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
they didn't invent AF for the 35mm SLR. they were just the first to bring a working example to the market. there is a huge difference between being the first to market and the inventor. a lot of credit can go to Honeywell.
fun fact leica had AF patents and then sold them to minolta in the 70s
08-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #60
Forum Member

This may be out of order, but I decided it might be of interest, and not related to most of the previous posts.

My K10D does not do a very good job of AF with the 180mm Sigma macro lens. But after buying the Sigma 1.4X Extender, it does a significantly better job in AF.

As a result when shooting without the 1.4X Extender, I always use MF. And when shooting with the Extender, I let the camera do it via AF.

Just my results.

Olin