Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

New Camera Shutter activations ?

I have purchased a couple f cameras from e-bay as new... all these cameras have had ~240 shutter activations. is that about what you get on a new camera from B&H when you buy it.

These camera seem new, look new, have no blems and the lens mount is not scratched...

So does Pentax test each camera about 200+ times before it goes out.

Just curious.

wll

08-23-2009, 01:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The number of factory test actuations of a brand new can vary, but I would not be bothered nor surprised by a brand new body showing 200 or more actuations. This ensures there are no defects in the shutter mechanisms before it leaves the factory. With the the number oif actuations a shutter is usually expected to produce before any service is suggested, the 200 or so isnt anything I'd be concerned about.
I think there have been threads about this topic before, perhaps a search may turn up dome detailed or longer threads and past conversations(?)

Jason
08-23-2009, 02:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I have purchased a couple f cameras from e-bay as new... all these cameras have had ~240 shutter activations. is that about what you get on a new camera from B&H when you buy it.

These camera seem new, look new, have no blems and the lens mount is not scratched...

So does Pentax test each camera about 200+ times before it goes out.

Just curious.

wll
From what I understand of the manufacturing process of dSLRs - the AF system and Exposure metering on every individual unit has to be tuned before it leaves the factory. The combination of mechanical and electronic components assembled often does not quite work to specification 1st time without adjustment.

Add to that routine QC tests to make sure all the main camera functions work properly.
Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they do more than a hundred shutter actuations before its finally packed at the factory.

By way of example, if you buy a new TV, the picture tube may well have been turned on for a few hours of calibration and testing even before it leaves the factory....

Last edited by kittykat46; 08-23-2009 at 02:52 AM.
08-23-2009, 03:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently purchased a K20D online (as far as I can tell a brand new camera), which had about 4,000 actuations! Go figure??

08-23-2009, 04:14 AM   #5
Forum Member

My K7 had a shutter count of 1252 on exposure number 1000. Details via Photome.

My K10 had a similar amount.

Last edited by UltraWide; 08-23-2009 at 04:15 AM. Reason: addition info
08-24-2009, 02:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Shutter count = 434 here on exposure 2 - K-7

mutters