Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2009, 03:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K7: difficulty removing SD card

Anyone else have difficulty the removing SD card from a K7?

I notice none of the reviews I've read mention such a problem but it was one of the first things I noticed. After pressing the card to eject it I find it still 'sticks' and it's difficult to get my fingers in the confined space next to the door to remove it.

They used to say it was hard removing the CF card from an *istD so it's a bit disappointing to see that Pentax haven't improved things a few generations down the track.

08-23-2009, 04:10 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in store a few days ago trying out the K-7 and when taking out my SD card, it did stick aswell and yes i do agree with you it's really hard to get your fingers into that bay and remove the card...

Have a good one!!!!
Ben
08-23-2009, 04:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Ben & Greetings from Perth. Good to know it's not just me (or my K7).
08-23-2009, 04:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's somewhat easier if you hold the card by the edges instead of the face/back.

08-23-2009, 05:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

One of the first things I noticed too.

They way I deal with it is this: when taking the card out, depress the card all the way in and quickly release your fingers; with any other camera, the SD card would come flying out, but with the K-7, it will come out just enough so that taking it out with your fingers becomes easy :-D obviously, ymmv.
08-23-2009, 05:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Talking about the sticking SD card issue - it's even worse with those SD cards that double as a USB drive (ie. fold in half).

One of these was the first card I tried in the K7 and it was so hard to remove that I thought I wouldn't be able to get it out without applying potentially damaging brute force. In the end I got it out but I won't risk using it again.

What is it that is actually causing the cards to stick? The write protection switch?
08-23-2009, 05:36 AM   #7
Forum Member

The easy fix is as RawheaD says, press and release it really quick. Even usb-cards releases easily if you remove your finger really fast after pressing it down (don't apply any pressure to the card while it's on it's way out)

08-23-2009, 05:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The same is true with the K200D. What works for me is to hold the camera vertically, with the back parallel to my stomach, quickly depress the card as described above and then pinch the top, left corner with left hand thumb and forefinger to remove. It's basically the only way I've found to get the card out consistently. I have XL hands and my finger tips barely fit into the compartment.
Just experiment with different positions until you find the one that works best for you.

hth
08-23-2009, 06:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it was one of the first things pointed out in the beta version reviews.

it kind of goes back to the *istD where the CF card would have been a lot easier to pull out if it were facing the front not the back. I would have thought that designers would have this one figured out by now.

but look at the bright side, if that is all you have to worry about on the K7 pentax ddid a pretty good job
08-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I found at first it was a bit tight, after a while of inserting and removing the card though it starts to loosen up.
08-23-2009, 06:37 AM   #11

Simple solution is to get a K20! No problems with my K20's sd cards!
08-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #12

no problems here on K-7 with my 2GB A-DATA 150x and 8GB Sandisk Extreme III SDHC 20/MB versions come out without much effort at all. Same amount of effort as with my K200D which isn't much. Yes it isn't loose enough that tipping it vertically upside that the card would fall out.

I usually have my body in vertical position with card cover facing up. Press down on SD card it pops up around 1/3rd of the way. Thumb and index finger grab it from flat sides and pull out
08-23-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I keep a pair of tweezers in my camera bag now for removing cards from the k-7. It's a minor annoyance that has an easy work around.
08-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #14

I think there is slight variation in thickness of SD cards. I have noticed that my Transcend cards are easier to remove that my SanDisk Ultras. I do not find it a problem as even the more diificult ones can be removed using a thumb nail in the little groove on the label side of the SD card.
08-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiratStian Quote
The easy fix is as RawheaD says, press and release it really quick. Even usb-cards releases easily if you remove your finger really fast after pressing it down (don't apply any pressure to the card while it's on it's way out)
good point... i don't have to carry those needle nose pliers any more