Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: K-7 or K20D
K-7 8861.54%
K20D 5538.46%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2009, 04:23 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has dome some very big improvements with the K-7. The chroma noise is just about gone and the luminance noise is pretty good too. There are still some slight vertical patterning but not enough for most purposes to bother with applying special NR. Exposure accuracy is hugely improved, as is AF speed and accuracy.
The K20 AF tends to be somewhat inaccurate, often missing focus by enough that only stopping down a couple of stops from wide open will reliably mask the problem, and it has a bad habit (for me anyway) of inexplicably locking up and refusing to allow the shutter to release.
With the K20 I never really trusted the meter, exposures just seemed to be all over the place, the K-7 has tightened things up tremendously.
The faster frame rate of the K-7 is nice because it increases camera responsiveness and decreases viewfinder blackout times.
The K-7 is also a lot quieter than the K20. I especially noticed this when using both cameras at a recent wedding.

08-24-2009, 04:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I handled a K20D + Sigma 70-200hsm today. After owning a K7 there is no way I wouild own a K20. No offence to the K7 users, i'm not doubting its a great camera but I just find it plastic and less robust in comparison to the K7.

The K7 isn't as noisy as they say once you figure out how to use it properly, shoot in raw, expose properly and learn how to use Raw.
08-24-2009, 04:55 AM   #18
Inactive Account

with that difference in price between a k20 and k7, i'd go with the k7.

in the US, it's quite a bit different. the k20 is almost half price vs. the k7. but needless to say, i'll resist the urge and wait for the k7 to come down in price.
till then, i'll be happy with my k2000!
08-24-2009, 05:31 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
with that difference in price between a k20 and k7, i'd go with the k7.

in the US, it's quite a bit different. the k20 is almost half price vs. the k7. but needless to say, i'll resist the urge and wait for the k7 to come down in price.
till then, i'll be happy with my k2000!
Well here in AU i've managed to haggle a store to $1250AUD for a K20D + D-BG2 grip or a K-7 body only for $1400AUD. I'm not sure what that is in USD though

08-24-2009, 05:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd go for the K7.

I'm tall with big hands (1.98m), and I have a K10D (same body form as K20D) and a K7, I like the K7 grip, it holds better. With a large lens attached to it, it "hangs" much better on my finger tips. So, don't worry about the size of the K7.

Also, the added features like:

- Much better dust removal / detection
- The horiziontal level indicator is a winner (incl auto correction)
- The incandesant light correction is so much better
- Better overall metering
- Faster frame rate (buy fast memory for that)
- Better SR
- Faster shutter

Yes, the price is much higher now, if you cannot afford it, wait a few months. I also have the DB4 grip. Best thing is that it can hold AA penlights as well as a Li-Ion battery.

- Bert
08-24-2009, 05:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

With such a minimal price diff, i'd go for the K7. I used the K20 for a year and sold it for the K7. The white balance and frame rate and other features are well worth it. If you can get a K20 for $5-600 US, go with the K20 and buy another prime with the xtra $s
08-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #22

For me, there is nothing wrong with the K-7, other than the movie mode, but there isn't enough right for me to spend an extra $700 to get one right now. So, I ordered a K20d. I might, when the price drops, buy a K7 or I might wait to see what's coming next.

08-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Where can you get a k-7 for $1400 AUD? I have a k20d, but am thinking of upgrading to the k-7 - I haven't seen it this cheap anywhere.

I would happily trade my k20d + grip + $500 for a k-7.
08-25-2009, 02:50 AM   #24

Better buy great lenses first! That's for me!
08-25-2009, 03:18 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It has some interesting features but nothing 'must have' and as far as I'm concerned and he jury's still out on the K7. In the meantime the K20D is proven and an incredible bargain.
08-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #26

Depending on what type of subject you shot, but for me, K7 is a winner.

Since I shot in bad lighting 50% of the time, K7 has proof itself to be a faster and more accurate performer than K20.
08-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben Hunt Quote
Hi guys,

Currently my main camera is a K200D w/, and don't get me wrong it's a great camera but...it's got a few flaws and I’ve got to the point where the it's really holding me back.

My main problems with the K200D

Buffer, it's horrible and get even worse at any iso higher than 400
One e-dial
Frame rate
No Kelvin WB adjustments
FF RF calibrations
It's a small camera even with grip on it feel like it could be bigger, plus the grip is a bit lacking
I find myself waiting for the buffer to clear out and as a result i end up missing photos

I cannot choose between the K-7 or K20, Currently i can get a K20+grip for $1250AUD and a K-7 for $1400AUD

I've had a bit of a play with the K-7 and 20 and have found that the K-7 is small in my hands and i would need a grip but there are no K-7 grips in Australia currently and I have no idea when CR-Kennedy will start shipping them in...

K20 Feels a bit more comfortable for me not only it's size/grip but it's layout, ( I may be the only person that likes the Fn button) plus i can get one with a grip...

Guys I’m lost here and need your help, I just can’t deicide here, I hear problems with the 7 and don't want to by a camera just because of the novelty of having HD video

Hope you guys can help me out....I guess i just need to talk this all out with someone...

thanks
Ben
I guess the big question for you is frame rate. 3 vs 5 fps. DO you really need this? there are a ton of threads on the need for high frame rates, but personally I don't see the need, but that is just me.

other than that, the areas you have mentioned are ewual between the 2 cameras. Unless you can really justify 5 fps then K20 would seem to be a better bargin.

I went for the K7 because I upgraded from a K10 and did not see enough (perhaps wrongly) between K10 and K20. I use a lot of manual aperture lenses and teleconverters, and the K7 metering is far superior to the K10 (although I am only at 1800 shots on the K7)
08-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I guess the big question for you is frame rate. 3 vs 5 fps. DO you really need this? there are a ton of threads on the need for high frame rates, but personally I don't see the need, but that is just me.

other than that, the areas you have mentioned are ewual between the 2 cameras. Unless you can really justify 5 fps then K20 would seem to be a better bargin.

I went for the K7 because I upgraded from a K10 and did not see enough (perhaps wrongly) between K10 and K20. I use a lot of manual aperture lenses and teleconverters, and the K7 metering is far superior to the K10 (although I am only at 1800 shots on the K7)

thanks mate, bit the bullet and placed an order for a K20D+ grip, i think i will be very happy with the 20 plus the D-BG4 is a bit of a golden egg here in AU currently and i feel that the k-7 need a grip IMO, plus the 20 feels more comfortable/more confident in my hands...

I think for $1300AUD for K-20D+grip is a bit of a bargin... and i just cant justfy getting a K-7 plus i can always get one later one when the price drops/ firmware.

I hope i made the right choice...

thanks mate for your words of advice.
08-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #29
Veteran Member

K7 Baby!!!

Got mine yesterday! I love it! I have used a K20 before and I have to say that the silent shutter, dang near instant shutter response and the better focusing and metering are worth it!
08-26-2009, 10:53 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben Hunt Quote
thanks mate, bit the bullet and placed an order for a K20D+ grip, i think i will be very happy with the 20 plus the D-BG4 is a bit of a golden egg here in AU currently and i feel that the k-7 need a grip IMO, plus the 20 feels more comfortable/more confident in my hands...

I think for $1300AUD for K-20D+grip is a bit of a bargin... and i just cant justfy getting a K-7 plus i can always get one later one when the price drops/ firmware.

I hope i made the right choice...

thanks mate for your words of advice.
I hope you enjoy the K20 and glad I could offer some assistance.

As for size, I find it interesting in comparing my 3 bodies (I never sell anything)

K7 is about the same size as *istD, K10 is much much bigger. If a small size is a concern then K10/K20 (same body) are better, BUT while the K7 is a small body the feel and grip is much more positive than the *istD. So size is not the only criteria but the grip design as well.

However, unless you have specific needs for some of the other K7 features, the K20 is a good camera and offers excellent value with current pricing. My choise was to get a new / better high ISO performance than K10, and to avoid some of the same shortfalls as the K10 has with manual lenses. For me this suggested K7 was the better choise.