Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2007, 08:46 PM   #16

It looks exactly like what I just had. It was a speck of dirt or something on the sensor and you can see it by looking through the viewfinder with or without a lens attached. It was tough to remove. I finally used an air nozzle on a compressor with the air pressure adjusted to low to avoid damage and it still took several tries. I tried using Q-tips but that didn't work at all.

05-17-2007, 10:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could try a drug store and grab one of their bulb blowers as Art has mentioned earlier. They do just as good a job.
05-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
I stopped by 2 camera stores on my way home from work today to try and buy a 'Rocket Blaster' or something similar. Neither camera store had anything for cleaning the sensor! One store recommended I take my camera to a place about 10 miles away that cleans the sensor for $40. I guess I'll order a 'Rocket Blaster' online. I see you can get one on Amazon.com.
I heard pluses and minuses about blowing air around in there (of course there's pluses and minuses to everything). I spent two days while I was on down time searching and reading on the web. I ended up buying this kit:

Copper Hill Images

The kit is sitting here. If I have the time tomorrow to get in the proper frame of mind and then screw up my courage to touch my sensor for the first time, I'll let you know how it goes. This isn't something I'm going to have my first go at while I'm in a hurry or rattled...
05-18-2007, 12:57 AM   #19
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
I heard pluses and minuses about blowing air around in there (of course there's pluses and minuses to everything). I spent two days while I was on down time searching and reading on the web. I ended up buying this kit:

Copper Hill Images

The kit is sitting here. If I have the time tomorrow to get in the proper frame of mind and then screw up my courage to touch my sensor for the first time, I'll let you know how it goes. This isn't something I'm going to have my first go at while I'm in a hurry or rattled...
You might check out

http://www.visibledust.com/index.php

too. They make specialized brushes (that are field compatible) and other sensor cleaning products. Their site has "pictures". Oh - never use your lungs/lips/mouth/ears-whatever to blow on the sensor, never use canned air or those bulbs with brushes (take the brush off) - you can get rocket blowers (looks like a 6 inch rocket) from Adorama and B&H too.

PDL

05-18-2007, 12:59 AM   #20
cmv

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
I stopped by 2 camera stores on my way home from work today to try and buy a 'Rocket Blaster' or something similar. Neither camera store had anything for cleaning the sensor! One store recommended I take my camera to a place about 10 miles away that cleans the sensor for $40. I guess I'll order a 'Rocket Blaster' online. I see you can get one on Amazon.com.
If you want to get a whole kit the basic kit that includes the blaster, eclipse, and the pec pads at Micro-Tools.com is good. I'm on my second one of their kits (second one I got without the blaster as I already had it of course) after a mistake with the first kit's eclipse solution. Anyway, point is it's a good value and works well. The shipping is a bit of a long wait though so if I were you I'd order something like that and try to find a turkey baster or an ear syringe type of thing. All you need to do is move some air around the sensor and you'll probably knock the dust off.
05-18-2007, 03:06 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
It looks exactly like what I just had. It was a speck of dirt or something on the sensor and you can see it by looking through the viewfinder with or without a lens attached. It was tough to remove. I finally used an air nozzle on a compressor with the air pressure adjusted to low to avoid damage and it still took several tries. I tried using Q-tips but that didn't work at all.
You're lucky you didn't damage or destroy your sensor. You should never blow compressed air inside your camera. I wouldn't use Qtips either.
05-18-2007, 03:07 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
You could try a drug store and grab one of their bulb blowers as Art has mentioned earlier. They do just as good a job.
And cheaper!
05-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote

Copper Hill Images

Let us know how this works. If you like it, I'll order a kit for myself.

05-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #24
Veteran Member

If your ever going to try this again I suggest that you at least use an in line filter Compressors always have moisture and often other contaminants in them, which could easily do more harm than good.
05-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #25

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that point to dust in the mirrror or prism housing?

You shouldn't be able to see dust on the sensor through the VF.
05-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #26

Whatever it was, it is gone from the viewfinder and photos and it looked exactly like the photo that was posted.

In regards to the compressor, an inline filter would have been nice. However, the humidity here in the desert this week has been around 10% or lower and contaminates and dust are always in the air, everywhere. Is not the Rocket Blower a form of mild comressed air? The small household compressor I used probably would not inflate a bicycle tire. I certainly wouldn't use a high pressure compresser or one that was found at a gasoline station.

I didn't mean to recommend this method since I knew it could be risky but it was supposed to be an example of how hard it can be to remove particles wherever they may be.

John
05-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Dust Aid anyone?

hey, i have heard about dust aid (google it if your clueless) and wondered if anyone has used it? I saw it is recomended by nation geographic photogrpaher and looks to be the quickest and safest way to remove dust...and is travel safe

but can anyone tell me the truth?

Cheers