Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What are these spots?

I just got a new 50-200mm Pentax DA lens When I took my first few shots I noticed spots on the pictures. I then took some shots with my 18-55mm kit lens and notices the same spots on each picture. There are no spots visible in the view finder. Is this dust on the CCD or something else? Below are 2 pics that show the spots on the left side of the pictures. How do I get rid of these spots? Thanks

using the 50-200mm

using the 18-55mm

05-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It looks like you've got dust on your sensor. You will need to get it blown out with something like a Giottos Rocket Blower or similar item.

There will be an option in your menu called Sensor cleaning. When you select it, your mirror will stay up. When you remove your lens, you will see the sensor. Blow it out, but don't touch the sensor.

DON'T USE AN AIR CAN!!
05-16-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alvin's right. You've got dust. No biggie, most dust can be blown off. Like Alvin said, the most popular tool is a thing called a Giotto "Rocket Blower" I myself use a standard foot pump used for blowing up air mattresses and the like. For a complete "seminar" on sensor cleaning check out this site:
Cleaning Digital Cameras - Introduction

NaCl(pretty easy, most dust can be blown off the sensor)H2O
05-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your help. I will look into getting a Giotto "Rocket Blower" or something similar.

05-16-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I have had the same problem with sensor dust even on my K10D. Not very often, but occasionally it shows up. I just blew it off with a rubber bulb syringe I bought at the drug store..worked fine.
Art
05-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have dust and it stayed. No blower, rocket or jumbo jet, could remove it. I am thinking of using a chisel!
My advice is, if they won't go, try learning to live with them. For this, you will need some post processing (using the clone tool or a similar function in your image processing software), a lot of patience and a willingness to forget about all the perfectionist tendencies you carried with you until this age! I wish you success.

Yours unsuccesfully,
05-16-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bc_the_path Quote
I have dust and it stayed. No blower, rocket or jumbo jet, could remove it. I am thinking of using a chisel!
My advice is, if they won't go, try learning to live with them. For this, you will need some post processing (using the clone tool or a similar function in your image processing software), a lot of patience and a willingness to forget about all the perfectionist tendencies you carried with you until this age! I wish you success.

Yours unsuccesfully,
Try the DustAid sensor cleaner. It uses a light adhesive to take off dust and is claimed to leave no residue.

DUST-AID : Adhesive Based Sensor Cleaner for DSLR's
05-17-2007, 12:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A speckgrabber works good as well
It's the same idea as the DustAid sensor cleaner

05-17-2007, 03:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Try cleaning the lens

have you checked your lenses? you may have a spec of dust on the lens aswell/or on the ccd
05-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
have you checked your lenses? you may have a spec of dust on the lens aswell/or on the ccd
Lens marks don't show up like that.
05-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote

It's not the lens. I get the spots in the same place using both the 18-55mm lens as well as the 50-200mm lens. I am sure it's on the sensor. Now I just have to get rid of those dust spots. I will try the 'Rocket Blower' first.
05-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
It's not the lens. I get the spots in the same place using both the 18-55mm lens as well as the 50-200mm lens. I am sure it's on the sensor. Now I just have to get rid of those dust spots. I will try the 'Rocket Blower' first.
Not to disappoint you but I don't think they're dust spots.

Dust spots from past experience are usually quite small, 1-2 pixles on my *istD. Haven't found any yet on the K10 to compare.

These seem much larger. You said you noticed them when you changed lenses only? Seems suspicious maybe moisture?

As a reul, I always change lenses with body facing either down or horizontal, although I know pointing up is easier, you are prone to dust
05-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

My first dust spot on my K100 sure looked like those ones, although since then they've been smaller.
05-17-2007, 05:54 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I have had similar sized blobs of dust on my K10D that looked exactly like the photos posted. I switched to having the camera do a sensor shake for dust removal on every start-up and that has solved the problem for me to a great degree.
I used a matress pump to blow mine clear when it got bad and that worked just fine.
Kenn
05-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I stopped by 2 camera stores on my way home from work today to try and buy a 'Rocket Blaster' or something similar. Neither camera store had anything for cleaning the sensor! One store recommended I take my camera to a place about 10 miles away that cleans the sensor for $40. I guess I'll order a 'Rocket Blaster' online. I see you can get one on Amazon.com.