Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
istDs mounted on a Toyo 45G with Widpan K adapter (Longish & many imgs)

Hi! This is for those who have seen & may have an interest in this adapter. I have posted this at DPR & thought it may be useful here also.

Some, like me with rarely used 5x4 gear sitting around, may have noticed this little Widepan 5x4 adapter cropping up on eekbay occasionally & may have wondered whether it would be worth the trouble....."Low Tech" at one end & "High Tech" on the other...Heh! Heh!

After many attempts to get some sense from the Chinese seller about what the distance was from the adapter flange to the image plane, or the rear of the camera mount to the inside edge of the mounting plate, ("for sorry bad my English" ) I decided to order one anyway when the price dipped a fair bit.

Ok..the bad news is that even with a bag bellows & a recessed lens panel, nothing short of a 200mm will get close enough to the image plane to focus to infinity. We're talking about 150mm approx (with a flat lens board) as the closest possible distance between nodal point & image plane. So forget about dreams of mounting that 47mm XL Super Angulon or 65mm Grandagon. Even a 150mm doesn't quite make it. I will have to look at some sort of engineering mod to get my 47mm & other wides close enough for multi image pans which is what I'm really interested in.

Also, don't forget, there is an immense crop factor involved here

For those who may be wondering "why bother?"... think "Scheimpflug" where one can shoot wide open & still get heaps of adjustable focus plane, or stitching multiple image panoramas with a completely flat field....& absolutely no distortion.

Anyway, the only lens I have that focused to infinity is a 270mm f5.6 Rotelar & that worked fine (actually really well) albeit too long for what I had in mind.

Some results below.

All hardware pics were shot with a K20 & FA35mm F2.0 @ 160 & 400asa Raw handheld.

I hope this is useful to someone.

Cheers
Stomie

What it looks like:
Toyo 45G Rig with bag bellows & Rodenstock 270mm f5.6 Rotelar, fitted with Widepan Pentax K adapter & Pentax istDs. The camera flange rotates 360 with click stops every 90 allowing vertical or horizontal camera placement.

The substatial distance (150mm approx) between the lens nodal point & the image plane. This clearly shows the difficulty posed by the camera flange in getting an ultra wide lens close enough to the image plane

The flange & camera mount, the unfortunate necessary evil.

The business end with the 270mm f5.6 Rotelar.

All the following are Camera JPEGs @ 200asa, midsize high quality with contrast, saturation sharpness all at -1 with the Toyo 45G & Rotelar 270mm f5.6, Widepan Pentax K adapter & istDs, Lightroom processed, everything at zero settings. Levels in PS CS2 & that's it.

Pls keep in mind that these are quick pics, that the focus plane is extremely shallow & there is much that moves on a monorail when one is hurrying

Wide open F5.6

F8.0

F5.6 Wide Open 100% crop1

F8.0 100% crop1

F5.6 Wide Open 100% crop2

F8.0 100% crop2

F5.6 Wide Open 100% crop3

F8.0 100% crop 3

08-24-2009, 04:52 AM   #2
wll
Veteran Member

Stomie

I would assume you bought the mount and put it in your own lens board ?

Very cool idea.

What is needed is a small Pentax camera with no protruding focus hood, and then you could INTERNALLY mount the lens adapter in the lens board. OR .... internally mount the adapter and cut out the top portion for the focus hood. You could just drape the top of the lens board to stop light leaks from the back side, That would be awesome.

I'm in the process of looking at a a Arca Swiss Discovery view camera and 5 lenses that a friends of mine buddy may sell me. this adapter would be very cool if i got that set up.

wll

Last edited by wll; 08-24-2009 at 05:03 AM.
08-24-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What an interesting setup.
Well in any case, the results have come out very acceptable.
08-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Thanks for the write up on the idea.
I've started designing the adapter for my 4X5.

08-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
wll
Veteran Member

Stomie, a Question !

Does anyone make a complete tilt and shift rail system , where you can use your own lens.

wll
08-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
For wll

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I would assume you bought the mount and put it in your own lens board ?

Very cool idea.

What is needed is a small Pentax camera with no protruding focus hood, and then you could INTERNALLY mount the lens adapter in the lens board. OR .... internally mount the adapter and cut out the top portion for the focus hood. You could just drape the top of the lens board to stop light leaks from the back side, That would be awesome.

I'm in the process of looking at a a Arca Swiss Discovery view camera and 5 lenses that a friends of mine buddy may sell me. this adapter would be very cool if i got that set up.

wll
wll...

Yes, see link below. I've been looking at this adapter for a while & settled on buying it when the price went down recently. I guess that's one advantage of economic downturns

I think a more streamlined solution might be to have an engineering shop make up a smaller & shallower recessed lens panel that can be fitted to the a cutout in the Toyo lens panel to further shift the lens closer to the image plane. Is that what you are meaning?

I'm not familiar with the mount design on Arcas. If it is the same as Toyo/Linhof, ie: a Universal 5x4, it will work with the same limitations as mine.

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Does anyone make a complete tilt and shift rail system , where you can use your own lens.

wll
wll, if you are meaning an adapter to mount Pentax FF or APSC lenses, I believe there is a "T" tilt adapter to which you will have to fit a T to M42 adapter & then a K to M42. Long winded but possible I think. One severe limitation in available tilt/shift would be the small image circle that the lenses would offer.

Last edited by Stomie; 08-24-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: forgot title
08-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
For Ash...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What an interesting setup.
Well in any case, the results have come out very acceptable.
Thanks, yes not too bad, further tinkering is required

Last edited by Stomie; 08-24-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: forgot title
08-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
wildlifephotog...

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Thanks for the write up on the idea.
I've started designing the adapter for my 4X5.
You're welcome, you may get some ideas on improvement by seeing the eBay link below for my adapter.

eBay Seller Widepan Universal 5 x 4 to Pentax K adapter
New Widepan adapter for PENTAX camera to 4x5 camera - eBay Other, Digital Camera Accessories, Camera Accessories, Cameras Photo. (end time 27-Aug-09 23:44:09 AEST)

Last edited by Stomie; 08-24-2009 at 06:54 PM.
08-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Well I built a prototype from wood last night. Works great at infinity with my Industar 37/300mm. But for real close stuff? WooHoo!!!
I see some super potential for macro here.
I'll be testing macro with the I-37 and my Ilex 165mm.

Thanks Stomie.
08-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
wll
Veteran Member

Wait just one minute ;-0

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Well I built a prototype from wood last night. Works great at infinity with my Industar 37/300mm. But for real close stuff? WooHoo!!!
I see some super potential for macro here.
I'll be testing macro with the I-37 and my Ilex 165mm.

Thanks Stomie.
Don't think your going to get away with a post like that :-)

We want to see your creation :-))

wll
08-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Well here is the quick prototype I put together. The horizontal movement will be added later.

This shot was done through glass and across a blistering parking lot.

This shot is of a 1.5" X 2.5" card at 4 feet. I used the I37/300mm for all shots.
Camera was a DS, iso 400.
08-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Did you say macro??

This is a quick one with the istDs with Widepan K adapter @ 200ASA Raw on the Toyo 45G & 150mm f5.6 Schneider Symmar @ f11 (front standard tilt of 5 to the vertical) These Aphids are approx 3 - 4mm long in real life & they are feeding on the fresh early Spring growth of a rose.

This is not really as sharp as it could, or should be, as it was shot between gusts under very windy conditions. Getting much closer was easily possible but maintaining & controlling the very narrow focus plane was virtually impossible in the breezy conditions.

And also this rig makes a grrreat snapshot camera I managed to snap this below with it & the 270mm Rotelar @ f8 as I was adjusting the rear standard.
I've also found that moving around with this combo on top of my Manfrotto 161 & 410 head, I save a lot of time by not needing to go to the Gym as often

08-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
wildlifephotog..

..it looks great... esp for much less than a hundred bucks If your 5x4 rear standard is capable of lateral movement, you could save yourself the trouble of a horizontal slide.
08-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Thanks. I always do mock-ups from scraps around the shop. Then I can tweak with messing up the final piece.
It has some movement. I'll have to play around and see how much I can really use.