Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is there any known official reason why the K7 Didn't Have Full Manual Video Mode?

Just curious if anyone from Pentax has elaborated as to the reasons for this.

08-24-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Just curious if anyone from Pentax has elaborated as to the reasons for this.
I hope that this thread receives an official response from Pentax.

AFAIK, nothing official has been said so far.
08-24-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 21fps burst mode in the K20D has full manual control, so it cannot be anything fundamental.

However, let me add two observations:

1. There is a novel and dynamic aperture control (I think, it can vary between 4 f-stops by pushing the aperture level to various degrees) which cannt be expressed by ordinary f-stop settings.

Of course, this is of no concern with a manual or fixed f-stop setting.

2. Pentax shot themself into the knee when they made movie a mode on the mode dial. Not only is it awkward to activate movie mode (really, should be a button press like pressing [DriveMode][LV]). But now, you cannot use the mode button anymore to teach the camera if you would prefer aperture preference, time preference, iso preference or full manual.

To now allow full manual with a quirck (which I hope they'll do) is only a work around a bug introduced when they decided to make movie a "mode" rather than a second shutter or drive mode ...

I really would have liked a solid turnable knob (maybe replacing the meter mode knob) which snaps into the following positions (X configurable using front or rear dial):
- single frame
- X hdr bracket (single button activation)
- X frame multi exposure (single button activation)
- Xs lo continous (for time lapse longer than 99 frames) (single button activation)
- lo continous
- hi continous
- movie (single button activation)
- high speed movie (Xfps, X>60, in later models)

Last edited by falconeye; 08-24-2009 at 06:00 AM.
08-24-2009, 06:07 AM   #4
Banned

The Canon 5D MKII did not have full manual video mode the first 6 months it was out and a firmware upgrade in June gave them that.
Canon 5D Mark II's manual video controls arrive | Underexposed - CNET News

08-24-2009, 06:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The Canon 5D MKII did not have full manual video mode the first 6 months it was out and a firmware upgrade in June gave them that.
Canon 5D Mark II's manual video controls arrive | Underexposed - CNET News
I know, Nikon been promising it for the D90 for ages but still has yet to materialise.

I would've imagined that since the K7 came out so recently and given the demand for full manual mode on the D90 & 5D Pentax would have added it at release, considering they made apperture control fixed or manual, I don't see why they couldnt have added it for ISO & shutter.