Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,157
Another K-7 Firmware Wishlist Thread

Rather than bump the old tired thread, I decided to start a new one. Now that the K-7 has been released to the wild, I'm sure that some quirks are showing up that could perhaps be fixed in firmware.

Here's one to start with:

I have my K-7 set up so that the green button adjusts the aperture setting. I do this so that I don't accidentally move the shutter speed to a too slow setting.
Anyway, I noticed at the wedding I just shot that if I pressed the green button while in X, the camera would attempt to adjust the aperture to give a good exposure.
Bad Pentax!!
For myself, I would like to see the green button disabled completely when the camera is set to X. The way it is now, it's one more thing that the camera can do to knock exposure off if a wrong button gets bumped.

08-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Prince George, BC Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 644
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Rather than bump the old tired thread, I decided to start a new one. Now that the K-7 has been released to the wild, I'm sure that some quirks are showing up that could perhaps be fixed in firmware.

Here's one to start with:

I have my K-7 set up so that the green button adjusts the aperture setting. I do this so that I don't accidentally move the shutter speed to a too slow setting.
Anyway, I noticed at the wedding I just shot that if I pressed the green button while in X, the camera would attempt to adjust the aperture to give a good exposure.
Bad Pentax!!
For myself, I would like to see the green button disabled completely when the camera is set to X. The way it is now, it's one more thing that the camera can do to knock exposure off if a wrong button gets bumped.
I just tried that with my K-7 and the shutter speed stayed at 180. I usually shoot on manual, however, rather than on the X because I like to drag my shutter to pick up on some of the ambient light. In that setting certainly the green button will change the shutter speed, but I never use the green button in that circumstance anyway, so not an issue for me.
08-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,157
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I just tried that with my K-7 and the shutter speed stayed at 180. I usually shoot on manual, however, rather than on the X because I like to drag my shutter to pick up on some of the ambient light. In that setting certainly the green button will change the shutter speed, but I never use the green button in that circumstance anyway, so not an issue for me.
Set your green button preference to aperture and see what happens. I don't intentionally use the green button on any mode other than manual, but this doesn't stop it from getting pressed accidentally, which, because of the way I have my camera configured throws the aperture value off what it was set to.
When the shutter is set to X, I would prefer that the camera not shift the aperture value unless I deliberately move the control wheel.

While I'm asking for firmware updates, I'd also like to have a way to lock the control dials down in manual so that they can't accidentally get bumped and knock the exposure off.
This could be done pretty easily by setting up a user mode that gave a fixed aperture and shutter speed, but alas, the user mode is broken in manual mode.
As it is now, I find myself using X, simply because it locks one setting and prevents it from changing.
08-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
I would like a programmable time out period for the Info screen. You can select no screen in the menu but then you don't get it at all. When you turn it off manually by pressing the info button, the next time the camera wakes up it comes back on.

There are two changes needed here, one is to allow a programmable time out, and the second is that if you suspend it manually, the camera should remember to keep it off when the camera wakes up again.

I have also noticed from time to time a quirk with Program mode. It sometimes gets locked at rediculous exposure settings, of shutter speed and aperture. I have not gotten to the bottom of this yet, but I find times where it appears to really be in hyper manual mode and the shutter or aperture is locked at a really crazy value not folloiwng the lighting conditions at all, and apparently not metering. ALmost like Ev Lock has been pushed

08-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Prince George, BC Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 644
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Set your green button preference to aperture and see what happens. I don't intentionally use the green button on any mode other than manual, but this doesn't stop it from getting pressed accidentally, which, because of the way I have my camera configured throws the aperture value off what it was set to. When the shutter is set to X, I would prefer that the camera not shift the aperture value unless I deliberately move the control wheel..
OK I see what you are up against. I have mine set to program line (the default) because I only use it to bring me back to some usable exposure in M mode, which I use with flash in poor light so I can control the shutter drag. Otherwise, my mode dial is set on Hyper Program, which I use for fill flash and all other hand held exposures, or USER which I have set up for use when the camera is on a tripod.

I really have not figured out why I would want the green button on anything other than the default program line. But then, we are all different and others may follow a different photographic protocol than mine where one of the other options would be more appropriate.
08-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,344
I know someone who would buy a K-7 immediately if the rear LCD would not cut out when the HDMI or AV plug is used to connect to a TV or whatever, when in movie mode. It doesn't cut out when in normal Liveview, so why turn it off in movie mode?
08-24-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
I just want the dreaded green line in the middle of the images fixed.
08-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 923
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I just want the dreaded green line in the middle of the images fixed.
Yes....I didn't get the problem on my unit, but that's the only real, solid concern I've seen with the K-7.

Almost everything else I've read is either individual unit QC problems or learning curve, adjustable with camera settings, adjustable in software PP, or plain "can't satisfy everybody" issues...

The look and feel of the JPEG output, for example, is almost infinitely customisable to suit your taste - contrast, colour, sharpness, WB, Shadow enhancement, Highlight correction etc. etc. etc.


Last edited by kittykat46; 08-24-2009 at 08:59 PM.
08-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Yes....I didn't get the problem on my unit, but that's the only real, solid concern I've seen with the K-7.

Almost everything else I've read is either individual unit QC problems or learning curve, adjustable with camera settings, adjustable in software PP, or plain "can't satisfy everybody" issues...
Hmmm, I wonder now. I have never used the video or live view, but I have been messing with the in camera settings and it just showed up in my last outing. If it is some sort of setting, then it should be able to be fixed with a firmware upgrade.
09-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member
gnaztee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cornelius, OR
Posts: 753
This may have been mentioned before, but I would really like a firmware update to remove the 99 exposure limit on interval shooting. It's not enough for many situations!
09-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member
alexeyga's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 838
Just got mine... But it's going back Tomorrow since the AF is of and the adjustment doesnt seem to help...

That being said, I was really hoping to see a hard button combination for the memory card format function... like on Nikons.. No luck... it's still burried in menues...

Pentax please!!! "Green button+Delete" (or something like it) at same time to flush the card would be a really nice feature!!!!
09-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brazil
Posts: 377
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
That being said, I was really hoping to see a hard button combination for the memory card format function... like on Nikons.. No luck... it's still burried in menues...

Pentax please!!! "Green button+Delete" (or something like it) at same time to flush the card would be a really nice feature!!!!
With the many posts I see of unintentional bumping on wheels and buttons (wth are these people, octopuses?), that would be a dangerous feature

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I just want the dreaded green line in the middle of the images fixed.
Looks like it has been fixed in the latest firmware.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I know someone who would buy a K-7 immediately if the rear LCD would not cut out when the HDMI or AV plug is used to connect to a TV or whatever, when in movie mode. It doesn't cut out when in normal Liveview, so why turn it off in movie mode?
The frame rate is greater on video mode, it's likely the camera can't cope with two simultaneous outputs.
09-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,414
I wish the camera would still operate when the USB cord is connected when using the PTP mode. This would allow tethering with apps like Aperture. That would make me very happy.
09-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 14
I would like to have a feature to set the real dial not to function in the instance review mode....

Sometimes when I need to shoot few shots quickly with different aperture, or shutter speed. The real dial would zoom the picture just taken.

Of course it is possible to turn off the instance review but than it will cause another issue.
09-09-2009, 05:55 AM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SLovakia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 140
I would appreciate if there could be an option with K-7 video mode to change (lower) framerate.
From 1/fps to 30 fps. Now I have to take movie with 30fps and than to recompute it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, button, camera, dslr, exposure, firmware, k-7, photography, setting, thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-x Firmware wishlist Eruditass Pentax DSLR Discussion 101 03-29-2011 10:12 PM
The new K300D (a WISHLIST) jotaz.gmail Pentax News and Rumors 70 05-08-2010 06:29 AM
K-7 Firmware Wish List thread LeDave Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 02-15-2010 01:09 PM
k-7 firmware update wishlist ogl Pentax News and Rumors 114 01-08-2010 07:28 PM
Wishlist for Pentax Xgear Pentax DSLR Discussion 32 01-21-2007 09:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top