Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K10D purchasing

Hi all, I like the PentaxForums - nice space to organise Pentax conversations --- the dpreview forums, in particular, are a disaster from a layout or flow of conversation viewpoint.

Anyway...

Watching the release of the K10d with interest, I'm wondering how those thinking of buying one will go about making the decision....

...grab one immediately when available?
or wait for reviews?
or wait for a settling in time for early users to real-world test it??
etc, etc

Personally, being conservative with my budget, I'm tempted to wait a few months or so after they hit the shelves, to see how things are going.

What approach will you guys'n'gals be taking?

09-08-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new sensor is appealing, but that's not all I'm after.

I'll primarily need to be certain it can take as many consecutive shots as the DS2, for that's the feature I treasure most- seriously, the DS2 is the best SLR I have ever seem (my favorite- and lightweight too!). If the K10D isn't very similar, I'll never buy it...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-08-2006, 11:38 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

If I buy at all I'll wait a bit, read about people's experience, and let the price come down. The higher resolution is the only thing which could make me buy since my *istD has the features I need and it handles very well. 6 MP vs. 10 MP isn't that much of an improvement. To double the resolution of a 6 MP camera we would need a 24 MP camera. Also, the 10 MP may come at the price of more noise.

I'm using 1600 ISO quite often, and also 3200, so I'd rather not want to see the noise go up.

It's actually only in landscape photography that I have seen the need for more resolution.

If I win the lottery then another avenue is to keep my *istD and get the 18MP 645D with a couple of good lenses and use that in such instances where the extra resolution would be a benefit.

A third avenue is to use film for landscape work and have it scanned professionally at the 24MP level. I have seen some fine results from my LX that way.
09-09-2006, 12:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have pre-ordered mine.

From what I read, I think we can be pretty sure about specs. For me it's the weather sealing, the dust removal and the SR that make the deal. That make this camera the perfect travel cam for me. The dust in Africa, the humidity of rain forests... And Belgian weather isn't perfect either!

My DS was also one of the first available in Belgium, but I didn't pre-order it. However, once the specs for the K10D become clear on the 14th I fear the order lists may become longer that what's available, so I'm moving in early. If the specs do not meet up, I can always cancel the order as there is some margin between announcement and availability.

Wim

09-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I am new to photography in the DSLR sense. I have a few friends that are into photography, one uses canon, the other uses nikon, they both say the other is best so I went a dif route and chose Pentax. I needed one for work as well as personal so I ordered the K110D and hopefully will be here next week. I am looking forward to becoming very proficient with it. I am hoping that this site becomes a great resource.
09-09-2006, 04:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'll probably wait a bit. I've tried not to get worked up with all the hype, as I like my DSs. But then I handled a K100 I was amazed at how well AS worked. I do use ISO1600 quite often though, so I want to see how Pentax handled the noise issue (assuming it is the same Sony sensor as the D80 and A100).

What I'm really looking forward to is the new 16-50 f2.8 lens
09-09-2006, 05:21 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I will wait a bit also. Then read about other peoples experiancances with it. I love my DS,but With my age and Heath problems I really think that the SR is the way to Go. Yes i Could Go with the K100D. But if i am spending the Money. I want to step Forward.

BK/Phil

09-09-2006, 05:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D purchase

I will buy it as soon as possible. I need a 2nd body. My DS is my only Pentax digital body at the moment. As long as the K10D has 10Mp, glass prism, ttl & p-ttl, spotmeter, mirror lockup, cable release, AV, M. I am fine. Basically give me the DS with 10MP and SR and I am fine. Unless its the size of a Canon 1D.
thanks
barondla
09-09-2006, 05:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

pre ordered

Hi,

I pre ordered. Moving up from a bridge camera (Nikon CP8800). At worst it will have the same level of noise as the A100 and that is "OK" for me. I shoot mostly landscape.
My primary reason for buying is economical. Used manual primes are cheap for the Pentax. I suspect the 6 primes that I have bought for less than $600 will come close in image quality to Canon L glass that I could never afford. Not as easy to use but when you shoot from a tripod and have set up time this is not a big deal.
The pancake lenses for street shooting have a great deal of appeal and will add the DA 21 when finances permit. IF this puppy has half the rumored improvements I will be a happy camper!

SR in body, 10 MP, Cheap glass. The extra $100 or so dollars I will pay for getting one of the first is the cost of getting one now.
Ken
09-09-2006, 11:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10d

I'll most likely wait some time to see how it performs, not so much in the reviews, but from the users point of view.

What makes me want to step up from the DS is primarily the SR. The possibility of weather sealing is a nice feature too, especially if the new lenses, like the 16-50/2.8, has got it too. Before I bought the DS I was very much interested in the Olymp*s E-1, because of the weather sealing, but when I handled the DS I was sold

Hopefully the K10D hasn't grown too much in size. I know the heavier the camera gets, the more stable it will be, but with SR I think the effect is minimized.

Ebbe
09-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
For me it's the weather sealing, the dust removal and the SR that make the deal.
This is something that I hadn't thought too much about. The XTi and the Oly/Pannys have the everytime dust removal systems, while I was looking at the manual for the K100 (I haven't bought it yet, but I think I almost have the manual memorized) it mentioned that there is a sensor cleaning system. What is the difference - I guess why would you find the dust removal system in the K10 (which I assume will be like the Canon/Oly systems) relatively so advantageous?
09-10-2006, 11:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jobs Quote
This is something that I hadn't thought too much about. The XTi and the Oly/Pannys have the everytime dust removal systems, while I was looking at the manual for the K100 (I haven't bought it yet, but I think I almost have the manual memorized) it mentioned that there is a sensor cleaning system. What is the difference - I guess why would you find the dust removal system in the K10 (which I assume will be like the Canon/Oly systems) relatively so advantageous?
The sensor cleaning system in the K100D is the same as it is in the *istD series. When activated it puts the mirror up and leaves it there until the power is turned off or until the batteries die. That way you can reach the sensor with the lens off. You still need to be in a dust free environment and have a blower or other cleaning device handy to clean it.

Dust removal in the K10D will be done using sensor shake (using the SR mechanism for this?) and a special coating on the sensor that should avoid dust to stick too tighly. The combination of both should help for normal dust that a blower can easily remove. It may be automatically activated upon lens change (that's a guess). Where the dust goes is unclear to me... This doesn't mean sensor cleaning will never be needed anymore, let's hope much less frequent anyway.

Wim
09-11-2006, 06:53 AM   #13

D10 or Not?

The real dilemma is, if you are one of the first to get the camera, you really become a beta tester and the version you get may be problematic. If you wait and the camera is as advertised, it may become almost impossible to get the camera in a reasonable time span.

My DS is an amazing camera and my only reason to upgrade is the extra pixels and the SR, although many of the other features would be nice to have too.

I do up to 16"x20" photographs now with amazing, sharp results, but since I do mostly wildlife photography, I could use any extra pixels I can get for those shots where I just couldn't get as close as I wanted. The only drawback to this is if the extra pixels create extra noise at high ISO like the Nikon D200, then the value decreases dramatically since I now shoot a great deal at ISO 400 in jpg.

I am still deciding what to do.

Tom
09-11-2006, 07:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I will wait a little bit. I have 3 Pentax DSLR bodies and I am perfectly happy with them and I don't think faster AF, bigger buffer or more Mega Pixels will make me a better photographer.
Sooner or later I will buy it - that's for sure.
09-11-2006, 10:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I think I will wait a little bit as well. MOstly becuase of cash flow. I also am a little curious to see what everyone else thinks bfore going out and spending who knows what.