Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
The sensor cleaning system in the K100D is the same as it is in the *istD series. When activated it puts the mirror up and leaves it there until the power is turned off or until the batteries die. That way you can reach the sensor with the lens off. You still need to be in a dust free environment and have a blower or other cleaning device handy to clean it.

Dust removal in the K10D will be done using sensor shake (using the SR mechanism for this?) and a special coating on the sensor that should avoid dust to stick too tighly. The combination of both should help for normal dust that a blower can easily remove. It may be automatically activated upon lens change (that's a guess). Where the dust goes is unclear to me... This doesn't mean sensor cleaning will never be needed anymore, let's hope much less frequent anyway.
Hmmm.....looking at the manual again, that's pretty obvious. I don't know why (or how) I managed to come away thinking that it cleaned using the sensor shake. I feel pretty silly.

How long does it take to use a blower to clean the sensor any way? I thought it would only take a few seconds to change the setting (4 seconds to navigate the menu), flip the camera over (.5 second), squeeze the blower until it looks like the sensor is cleared (5 seconds), and then turn the camera back off (.5 second)...so 10 seconds max. I hope that any set of batteries would last long enough...

09-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have one reserved...

Hi!

I went ahead and reserved one because I waited too long to get the *istD. By the time I was ready to buy one of those they were unavailable. Then I got the DS and the DS2, which I love. But the SR and the other expected features are too enticing.
09-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

HMMM... Maybe rethinking. But I never had a problem geting my DS I hope the same will be with the K10
09-11-2006, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

I'm a happy camper with my DL - but I'll enjoy the posts and the talk when the K10 is released

09-11-2006, 09:32 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Interesting outlooks, everyone!

For me, I've been squirrelling away the funds for an upshift to DSLR for a year and the K100D is just about perfectly broken-in, now that I'm ready to go spending... but back when the K10D was announced, I knew it would be the one I'd be most happy to spend a few years with --- the ergonomics of multiple control dials, most crucially, with the rumored weather resistance being another major asset, hopefully, for wetter climes.
{eg on controls: between my ZX5n and ZX7, while its a genuinely nice camera, I hate the ZX7 controls by comparison}

And so now I'm feeling obliged to put the purchase off for a while --- I'm genetically biased toward the end of the spectrum which mandates 'try to avoid version 1.0' !! :-)
[basically, I can't afford major slip-ups, whereas I can afford the time of a a little wait]

I do worry that popularity will drive prices up (in the mid-term), or that availablilty might be an issue, or that my eventual taste in wide-to-medium zoom(TBD!) for the K10D won't be offered in a well-priced kit. None of which are mega-worries, to be honest, but just stuff to be pondering, as the wait continues a bit longer :-D

[If the prices of used DL's and DS's were sensibly cheap I'd go with that for 6-months, but the used prices are almost like new!! I'm tempted to bide my time, on principle, but it's a good option ]
09-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #21

I will buy one but I am not going to rush out and look for it. The one thing I was looking for was 5FPS and alas it is only 3FPS. Maybe there is a K1D being released next year with more FPS?
09-12-2006, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #22
Inactive Account

K10D purchasing

Well I told my wife I'd like to get this camera and I got her response. It started with over My dead and ended with It's either me or the camera. My response (after listening to all the pros and cons she gave was) well it's been a good 20 years but if you want to end it over this camera then I guess you'll be out by the weekend right? I guess I should have given her till the end of the month just to be nice. But I think Im able to walk again.

I know I'll have it by christmas She always gets me what I want. shes a great wife just a little jumpy lately (HMMMMMMM ever since I ask he for the 645D) do you think she thinks I spend to much.

David

09-12-2006, 05:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Well,
I know I said I was going to wait, but..... after reading the specs, they were to good to pass up, so I pre-ordered one from B&H.

Impulse, I know, but what's a guy to do. ;-)
09-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

So what's the guess on when?

Hi David!

I know the release on Steve's Digicam said 'by November' but Ace Photo said that it would probably be mid-October. Do you think we'll have them by the Gettysburg meetup?

Photo_dad's response when I sent him the link to the press release right after it appeared was "hmmm, that means I can get that REALLY big plane that I've been wanting, right?" Oh, this is going to be a VERY expensive camera before all is said and done.
09-12-2006, 08:48 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote

Photo_dad's response when I sent him the link to the press release right after it appeared was "hmmm, that means I can get that REALLY big plane that I've been wanting, right?" Oh, this is going to be a VERY expensive camera before all is said and done.
Tracy, At least you got a confirmation, BrewWife said something like "but we have other things your bonus can pay for". But no worries, it is MY bonus after all!!

Les
09-13-2006, 02:23 AM   #26
Inactive Account

K10D purchasing

Hi Tracy:

I think you need to get Photo Dad that Plane. You know then there will be no stopping you come Mid Oct. for the new K10D. I don't think I'll have it much before Christmas/Feb. but I will be on my knees at your feet just to get a look at what is to come for me. (I gotta have this camera)
the Gettysburg shoot will be a great tryout for it and you will have some fantastic photos to post. I'm looking forward to seeing you and the family there. Mark has confirmed the date is good for him and will be there and so have some others. I go up this weekend and get a good meeting place scoped out and get the directions posted on where to meet.
I guess you'll be the lady with all the guys crying at your feetand begging to get a look at that sweet new camera. (OH wait, I'll be one of those guys)(well they can get in line) (LOL) :=))) You take care and I'll see You in Gettysburg.
David
09-13-2006, 04:50 AM   #27
Veteran Member

waiting... 'cause I'm cheap

Seeing I only got my DL in late March, I don't think I can quite justify a new body yet! It certainly wouldn't make me a better photographer. Maybe the K10 or whatever comes after it will be my reward when I finally finish my thesis. In the meantime, I get to learn from all your experiences whether it's a worthy investment (which I'm sure it is!). Now if the thesis would only allow a little more time for actual photography...

Cheers!

Julie
09-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brew1brew Quote
Tracy, At least you got a confirmation, BrewWife said something like "but we have other things your bonus can pay for". But no worries, it is MY bonus after all!!

Les
Well, ... See, it's his bonus that's paying for it, too. I think I'll keep him for a few more years. ;-D

Have you gotten any further with BrewWife, especially after seeing the full announcements today?
09-13-2006, 09:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Hi Tracy:

I think you need to get Photo Dad that Plane. You know then there will be no stopping you come Mid Oct. for the new K10D. I don't think I'll have it much before Christmas/Feb. but I will be on my knees at your feet just to get a look at what is to come for me. (I gotta have this camera)
the Gettysburg shoot will be a great tryout for it and you will have some fantastic photos to post. I'm looking forward to seeing you and the family there. Mark has confirmed the date is good for him and will be there and so have some others. I go up this weekend and get a good meeting place scoped out and get the directions posted on where to meet.
I guess you'll be the lady with all the guys crying at your feetand begging to get a look at that sweet new camera. (OH wait, I'll be one of those guys)(well they can get in line) (LOL) :=))) You take care and I'll see You in Gettysburg.
David
Hi David!

Oh well, from the announcement it looks like October is not gonna happen. The place I pre-ordered from said they expected them about mid-October, but that was a few days before the Steve's Digicam announcement. We can still hope!

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, too. The DC meet went so well it seemed! Hope you find a good meeting place. Let us know soon!
09-13-2006, 09:32 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Ah, don't discount the idea yet...

QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
Seeing I only got my DL in late March, I don't think I can quite justify a new body yet! It certainly wouldn't make me a better photographer. Maybe the K10 or whatever comes after it will be my reward when I finally finish my thesis. In the meantime, I get to learn from all your experiences whether it's a worthy investment (which I'm sure it is!). Now if the thesis would only allow a little more time for actual photography...

Cheers!

Julie
Hi Julie!

If you'd told February 20, 2005 that the next day would be a step onto a path that would eventually lead to 2 camera bodies, 20000+ pictures between them, countless hours processing, no hesitation at adding a 3rd body and let's not even talk about lenses, I would have thought you were nuts. It's insidious.

Seriously, good luck finishing your thesis! What are you studying?