Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K100d super vs K20d?--Worth Upgrade?

I am sure this has been asked here before, but I am considering upgrading from the k100d super to the k20d and I am rather torn at the moment.

I am going to scotland for my honeymoon in oct-nov, and was considering upgrading to the K20 for the weather seals. Also, the added megapixels are nice in that it would allow greater cropping options.

However, I have heard the K20 is not much better than the k100d super in terms of image quality or ISO/noise.

I have had the k100d super for about 2 years now. I am relatively happy with my photos from the k100d super, but I always seem to need to do a lot of post-processing to get them to really "pop." My main dislike, however, is the convoluted, cumbersome menu system (It took me about a month to figure out what "swcht dst msr pt" meant) and the lack of a dedicated aperature dial.

What mainly attracts me to the K20 are 1. More external controls/dedicated buttons; 2. The weather seals; and 3. More megapixels. The megapixels thing isn't a "huge" issue, but I have run not times with the k100ds that I wanted to crop something and just couldn't keep the resolution I needed. I print mostly 8x10 but also a fair amount of 11x14s and 16x20s.

I am a bit concerned I am not at the "level" I need to be for the K20, i.e., I don't know if I have a use or need for some of the features. It the K20 offers better image quality and easier operation, than I will go for it.

If all I get is a bunch of extra menu options then I think I will pass.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated

08-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you often print larger than 8x10, then yes, the extra resolution will be nice. Aside from that, I wouldn't expect much difference overall in IQ - it's more a usability thing (the second dial, so you can have a dedicated aperture wheel for use in M mode or TAv mode, also larger viewfinder, etc).
08-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with Marc, although the extra resolution is a bonus not necessarily for IQ (that's lens and photographer-dependent mostly) but for cropping and printing versatility.

You've mentioned your own pluses for the K20D, but if you're not too fussed about the extra resolution, a K10D would be an even more economically viable option, whilst still having much of what the K20D has to offer. You'll feel a significant improvement in useability although there will be a slight sacrifice in high-ISO performance, which you may need to consider if you shoot at ISO 800 and above often...
08-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've thought about that, but can't find a new K10d body only anywhere.

08-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I kinda of went backwards an bought a k100d super after my k10d and k20d's. I did it because I wanted a camera to covert to IR photography. I haven't done that yet but I do enjoy the size of the k100d super. However, I am so in love with the way my k10/k20's handle that I can't figure out why the k100d super isn't just like that. Really the is a great deal of difference in the handleing betweent he k20 and k100 super. The k20's menus are just a lot better and the second wheel is so missing on the k100super. Also setting like metering / focus are switches on the body (k20) not burried in a menu (k100super).

But...the k100super does produce great images, uses all my same lenses SDM included and if it had been my first Pentax I might be asking the same quesitons you are.

I think you should make up your mind though soon because, if you do get a k20, it will take you some time to familarize yourself with it.
08-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Having owned the K20D and the K100D, I can't imagine going back to the K100D at this point as a primary camera. The K20D is so much more solid and substantial feeling, and the handling is far superior in my eyes (and hands).
08-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #7

With the current bargains on the K20D, how could you NOT upgrade now? See the thread about the Bing Cashback @ 20% from Boater's World!

08-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well if you're seriously considering the K10D, and you're fine with 2nd hand, do look through the forum's marketplace, B&H, Adorama, KEH and the like for 2nd hand deals - you might be pleasantly surprised.
08-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I made the upgrade from the K100d (not super) to the K20d. No regrets. I enjoy not having to dig through menus for metering and focus point options. And having 2 e-dials is very nice! The image quality of my k100d is good, but if I wanted to crop much, the quality starts to drop fast. This is not a problem with the K20d, plenty of image quality for large crops.
08-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #10

My K20D is shipping tomorrow to upgrade from my K100D (not super) so I will be able to tell you what I feel about this upgrade path soon. :-)
08-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I will look forward to seeing your impressions.
08-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #12

I will surely post some images from both as close to the same as possible to provide you with some extra data.
Regards
08-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by T_MB Quote
I am sure this has been asked here before, but I am considering upgrading from the k100d super to the k20d and I am rather torn at the moment.

I am going to scotland for my honeymoon in oct-nov, and was considering upgrading to the K20 for the weather seals. Also, the added megapixels are nice in that it would allow greater cropping options.

However, I have heard the K20 is not much better than the k100d super in terms of image quality or ISO/noise.

I have had the k100d super for about 2 years now. I am relatively happy with my photos from the k100d super, but I always seem to need to do a lot of post-processing to get them to really "pop." My main dislike, however, is the convoluted, cumbersome menu system (It took me about a month to figure out what "swcht dst msr pt" meant) and the lack of a dedicated aperature dial.

What mainly attracts me to the K20 are 1. More external controls/dedicated buttons; 2. The weather seals; and 3. More megapixels. The megapixels thing isn't a "huge" issue, but I have run not times with the k100ds that I wanted to crop something and just couldn't keep the resolution I needed. I print mostly 8x10 but also a fair amount of 11x14s and 16x20s.

I am a bit concerned I am not at the "level" I need to be for the K20, i.e., I don't know if I have a use or need for some of the features. It the K20 offers better image quality and easier operation, than I will go for it.

If all I get is a bunch of extra menu options then I think I will pass.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated
You are in Wisconsin,Home of 'That 70's Show',where not like here(Australia),the price for a K20D is cheap.I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to an K20D.You can get good deals at Walmart,Costco.Check out there websites to see what I mean.

Last edited by Barnster; 08-25-2009 at 02:29 AM.
08-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Bestbuy.com had some really good deals on refurbs when I last looked. IIRC it was $399 for a k10.
08-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd make the switch in a heartbeat. The K20D's handling (more external controls) and IQ are in my opinion far beyond that of the K100, which is very basic in comparison.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: