Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian
8540tomg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,454
Memory Card Problem?

Hi all,

When loading images from my K10 into Photoshop I have encountered a problem the last few days. Not all the images seem to be loading into Photoshop - maybe 50% or less.

When I run the process again all the images appear to be loading.

I am using a Lexar Professional 4G 133x speed card. This is supposed to be a pretty good card. I have deleted all the images and formated the card several times. Yet the problem persists.

I have fully charged the K10 batteries. I don't think the camera is the problem.

Is this a defective card? Thoughts?

Tom G

08-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Barnster's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid North Coast,Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,013
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Hi all,

When loading images from my K10 into Photoshop I have encountered a problem the last few days. Not all the images seem to be loading into Photoshop - maybe 50% or less.

When I run the process again all the images appear to be loading.

I am using a Lexar Professional 4G 133x speed card. This is supposed to be a pretty good card. I have deleted all the images and formated the card several times. Yet the problem persists.

I have fully charged the K10 batteries. I don't think the camera is the problem.

Is this a defective card? Thoughts?

Tom G
If they are not downloading from your K10,have you tried an internal or external card reader on your computer with your memory card?
08-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 408
I only exclusively use a memory card reader. They are like $20 at Staples/Future Shop/Best Buy and a lot more reliable. Try that first, and then try replacing your card. Hate your card to crap out on an important photo shoot.
08-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
Do you get a message that the download from the SD card was interrupted in any way?
Or perhaps the interruption is not warned, and the remaining images are left on the card waiting for download?

08-25-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian
8540tomg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,454
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Do you get a message that the download from the SD card was interrupted in any way?
Or perhaps the interruption is not warned, and the remaining images are left on the card waiting for download?
No such message. I just have to upload the images twice to get them all across - very annoying. I don't have a card reader so I can't try that one. I do have a spare memory card. I'll take a few shots and test it that way.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-25-2009 at 04:10 AM. Reason: typo
08-25-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Steelski's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Varna
Posts: 468
Sounds like its not the card

If all the images are on the card and only half are being transferred. then it does not sound like a card problem.
If however the images are corrupted and unusable then its probably the card. I bet you are using some software to import the images in right. If so try doing it manually only.
08-25-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian
8540tomg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,454
Original Poster
Problem persists.

Steelski,

I'm not sure what you mean by loading the images manually.

I used a different memory card, Lexar Professional SD 2GB 133x, and experienced the same problem. About half of the images load into Photoshop on the first try. All are loaded with a second pass. This seems to indicate the problem is not the memory cards. Any ideas? Is the problem with the camera (K10) or the Photoshop software? Very strange and annoying.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-25-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: typo
08-25-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 168
Not sure what you mean by loading into Photoshop. I assume you mean you download the images from your camera to your computer's hard drive, then direct Bridge to the folder where they reside.

I use a SanDisk card reader and 2GB cards and never have a problem. I think card readers are a better method than doing it directly from the camera.

Richard

08-25-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian
8540tomg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,454
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
Not sure what you mean by loading into Photoshop. I assume you mean you download the images from your camera to your computer's hard drive, then direct Bridge to the folder where they reside.

I use a SanDisk card reader and 2GB cards and never have a problem. I think card readers are a better method than doing it directly from the camera.

Richard
Yes, that is what I meant by downloading Richard.

This is a new problem. Maybe I'll try a card reader. I'm pretty sure the cards are fine. I'm using a new cable between the cam and computer so that should be OK as well.

Tom G
08-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
tom which step does not work without 2 passes. Putting your files onto the computer or having them show up as thumbnails in photoshop?

the reason I am asking is that as my image library grows I am finding PSP X2 has trouble recognizing instantly when new photos are added to a directory or new directories are created. I am 100% sure it is due to the number of images that the photo browser is dealing with (over 70000 at last count)
08-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian
8540tomg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,454
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
tom which step does not work without 2 passes. Putting your files onto the computer or having them show up as thumbnails in photoshop?

the reason I am asking is that as my image library grows I am finding PSP X2 has trouble recognizing instantly when new photos are added to a directory or new directories are created. I am 100% sure it is due to the number of images that the photo browser is dealing with (over 70000 at last count)

Thanks Lowell,

That may be it. I'm expecting them to show up instantly. I may have crossed some sort of threshold as I have thousands of images on the drive by now. Maybe I just need to be more patient before I spend money for no good reason.

Tom G
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, card, dslr, images, k10, memory card, photography, photoshop
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K20D - memory card problem crazymarc Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 11-05-2010 04:52 AM
K20D memory card problem bodhi08 Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 04-12-2010 01:51 PM
memory card error problem cdm807 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 10-17-2009 07:22 PM
4 GB memory card problem Photogoof Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 5 06-17-2008 01:23 PM
*IST ds Memory Card Problem. sysop Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 07-09-2007 09:17 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top