Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Memory Card Problem?

Hi all,

When loading images from my K10 into Photoshop I have encountered a problem the last few days. Not all the images seem to be loading into Photoshop - maybe 50% or less.

When I run the process again all the images appear to be loading.

I am using a Lexar Professional 4G 133x speed card. This is supposed to be a pretty good card. I have deleted all the images and formated the card several times. Yet the problem persists.

I have fully charged the K10 batteries. I don't think the camera is the problem.

Is this a defective card? Thoughts?

Tom G

08-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Hi all,

When loading images from my K10 into Photoshop I have encountered a problem the last few days. Not all the images seem to be loading into Photoshop - maybe 50% or less.

When I run the process again all the images appear to be loading.

I am using a Lexar Professional 4G 133x speed card. This is supposed to be a pretty good card. I have deleted all the images and formated the card several times. Yet the problem persists.

I have fully charged the K10 batteries. I don't think the camera is the problem.

Is this a defective card? Thoughts?

Tom G
If they are not downloading from your K10,have you tried an internal or external card reader on your computer with your memory card?
08-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I only exclusively use a memory card reader. They are like $20 at Staples/Future Shop/Best Buy and a lot more reliable. Try that first, and then try replacing your card. Hate your card to crap out on an important photo shoot.
08-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you get a message that the download from the SD card was interrupted in any way?
Or perhaps the interruption is not warned, and the remaining images are left on the card waiting for download?

08-25-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Do you get a message that the download from the SD card was interrupted in any way?
Or perhaps the interruption is not warned, and the remaining images are left on the card waiting for download?
No such message. I just have to upload the images twice to get them all across - very annoying. I don't have a card reader so I can't try that one. I do have a spare memory card. I'll take a few shots and test it that way.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-25-2009 at 04:10 AM. Reason: typo
08-25-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sounds like its not the card

If all the images are on the card and only half are being transferred. then it does not sound like a card problem.
If however the images are corrupted and unusable then its probably the card. I bet you are using some software to import the images in right. If so try doing it manually only.
08-25-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Problem persists.

Steelski,

I'm not sure what you mean by loading the images manually.

I used a different memory card, Lexar Professional SD 2GB 133x, and experienced the same problem. About half of the images load into Photoshop on the first try. All are loaded with a second pass. This seems to indicate the problem is not the memory cards. Any ideas? Is the problem with the camera (K10) or the Photoshop software? Very strange and annoying.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-25-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: typo
08-25-2009, 08:25 AM   #8

Not sure what you mean by loading into Photoshop. I assume you mean you download the images from your camera to your computer's hard drive, then direct Bridge to the folder where they reside.

I use a SanDisk card reader and 2GB cards and never have a problem. I think card readers are a better method than doing it directly from the camera.

Richard

08-25-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
Not sure what you mean by loading into Photoshop. I assume you mean you download the images from your camera to your computer's hard drive, then direct Bridge to the folder where they reside.

I use a SanDisk card reader and 2GB cards and never have a problem. I think card readers are a better method than doing it directly from the camera.

Richard
Yes, that is what I meant by downloading Richard.

This is a new problem. Maybe I'll try a card reader. I'm pretty sure the cards are fine. I'm using a new cable between the cam and computer so that should be OK as well.

Tom G
08-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
tom which step does not work without 2 passes. Putting your files onto the computer or having them show up as thumbnails in photoshop?

the reason I am asking is that as my image library grows I am finding PSP X2 has trouble recognizing instantly when new photos are added to a directory or new directories are created. I am 100% sure it is due to the number of images that the photo browser is dealing with (over 70000 at last count)
08-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
tom which step does not work without 2 passes. Putting your files onto the computer or having them show up as thumbnails in photoshop?

the reason I am asking is that as my image library grows I am finding PSP X2 has trouble recognizing instantly when new photos are added to a directory or new directories are created. I am 100% sure it is due to the number of images that the photo browser is dealing with (over 70000 at last count)

Thanks Lowell,

That may be it. I'm expecting them to show up instantly. I may have crossed some sort of threshold as I have thousands of images on the drive by now. Maybe I just need to be more patient before I spend money for no good reason.

Tom G