Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2009, 11:10 PM   #1

K2000 Noise,help

I have use several pentax DSLR, just changed my small DSLR *ist DL to the K2000. anyway, just tried some test pic at ISO 800 & ISO 1600, but i found the images are very noise compare to other Pentax DSLR like K10D, K20D or even the *ist DL. Is there anyway to tweak it for less noise at high ISO. thanx

08-24-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
I have use several pentax DSLR, just changed my small DSLR *ist DL to the K2000. anyway, just tried some test pic at ISO 800 & ISO 1600, but i found the images are very noise compare to other Pentax DSLR like K10D, K20D or even the *ist DL. Is there anyway to tweak it for less noise at high ISO. thanx
I'm guessing that you're shooting JPEGs, and if so you just need to adjust the sharpening settings down a bit. In-camera sharpening will increase the appearance of noise.
08-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Low noise, high ISO pics hvae more to do with technique then the camera you use.

- shoot RAW
- Over expose a 1/2 to 1 stop and pull back the exposure in PP (look up "expose to the right")
- sharpen and conver to JPG in your computer, not you camera
08-25-2009, 04:38 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Definitely shoot in RAW and use some kind of noise reduction software, like Noise Ninja or Noiseware. Also, as mentioned above, it is paramount that you hit your exposure right on. If you have to bring up your exposure, you will see lots of noise. I'd have to disagree on the K10 with regard to noise. It is barely useable up to iso 800. The older 6 megapixel cameras could easily be used to 1600 though...

08-25-2009, 04:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter

when i first got my k2000, i noticed that as well, but as it turns out, it's the exposure.
make sure you expose propery. an underexposed shot will show much more noise
08-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do post some examples, and try looking at your results without having had any PP applied to see if your software is just boosting exposure automatically (sometimes unnecessarily).
08-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #7

I also own a K2000 and get great ISO 1600 and very usable ISO 3200 shots. Ditto to all the above advice plus get an f2.8 or better prime lens.
08-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

also check to see if shadow compensation or D-Range are on

08-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #9

I know this may be kinda obvious, but don't forget to turn on High ISO noise reduction. It's hidden in the menu, in one of the custom settings.
08-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'd suggest a side by side comaprison of the same scene shot with different cameras, same exposure settings, RAW. I think you'll find virtually no difference between cameras when comapring images at the same size. Most likely, any difference you are seeing is coming from differences in the JPEG settings you are using (including sharpening, noise reduction, and "D-range") between the cameras, also differences in exposure, lighting, or the scenes themsevles if you are comapring images you took with the K2000 against images taken of completely different scenes with completely different settings with the other cameras.
08-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I get little noise from my K-m....

and I shoot in a night club every friday with low ever changing lights!

few shots have noise but when shooting in red and blue light I expected some!
08-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'd suggest a side by side comaprison of the same scene shot with different cameras, same exposure settings, RAW. I think you'll find virtually no difference between cameras when comapring images at the same size. Most likely, any difference you are seeing is coming from differences in the JPEG settings you are using (including sharpening, noise reduction, and "D-range") between the cameras, also differences in exposure, lighting, or the scenes themsevles if you are comapring images you took with the K2000 against images taken of completely different scenes with completely different settings with the other cameras.

Marc,

So are you saying that there will be virtually no differnece in noise between the k10D and the K20D, given the same scene etc.

Thank you.
08-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Actually, the K10D seems noticeably worse than other models for whatever reason - mostly on account of the banding (vertical pattern noise) that it was prone to. The K2000 should outperform it, I would think. But again, it's really easy to get fooled by measurement error - using different JPEG settings on one camera versus another, etc.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 08-27-2009 at 11:37 AM.
08-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Actually, the K10D seems noticeably worse thn other model for whatever reason - mostly on account of the banding (vertical pattern noise) that it was prone to. The K2000 should outperform it, I would think. But again, it's really easy to get fooled by measurement error - using different JPEG settings on one camera versus another, etc.
Thanks...'getting fooled by jpeg', definitely learned that first hand when i got my K-7
08-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #15

A bit late, but I thought I'd chime in with my experience. I moved from a K100d to a K-m, and my first impression was, like the OP, that the K-m seemed really noisy. I was surprised to find that, when I tried taking photos side-by-side with the two cameras, the noise levels were actually pretty comparable. (Although the two cameras did seem to generate slightly different exposures, despite having the same settings and matching lenses/apertures/shutter speeds.)

One thing I did get from the experiment was an appreciation for how noisy JPEG is compared to RAW. I think this is worse on the K-m, although I might have been unconsciously biased by hearing the various accounts of how the K-m's JPEG engine is supposed to be lousy. Regardless, it prompted me to go out and buy some bigger SD cards (whose prices are still falling gratifyingly quickly) and start using RAW exclusively.