Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
Forum Member

K10d + af360fgz

I came across some focusing issue when I have AF360 mounted. It doesn't focus correctly. It wasn't really dark and AF assist-beam did not come on. When I turn off the flash and take a shot, it's blur (due to shutter speed) but it focuses correctly.

I tried with different lenses but I do have same behaviour.

Also, I don't like the recycle time on 360 that much. Does AF540 improve quite more?

Thanks,

08-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flash should not influence how the camera focuses, unless of course the spotbeam is engaged for AF assist.
I can't think of why it happens for you.
Though your mention of recycle time is dependent on many things, most commonly:
1. Batteries that are simply not powerful enough for the job - the most reliable are lithium and LSD NiMH batts (lots of discussion about these in the forum).
2. You're asking the flash to produce too much light each time (low ISO, small aperture and insufficient ambient light together are a bad recipe for maxing flash output and thereby increasing recycle time).
3. Shooting with distant subjects requiring lots of light to be able to reach them.
4. Bounce/Swivel flash photography with high/poorly reflective ceilings or distant walls making it difficult for the flash to get enough light to the subject.

If you've addressed all these, I'm sure you'll find the recycle time improve dramatically - the AF540 would have the very same problems if it were pushed to the limit...
08-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I should've more clear on my question.

The focus issue is one and the recycle time is another separate question.

I will upload example when I get back home (this weekend). But it was direct flash. But it did not focus correctly (looked like it was back-focus issue) w/flash. And I took another shot from same location without flash, it focused fine.

The recycle time, when I test fire it takes about 5-6 seconds. I think this is within spec. I don't think I fire full strength all the time. However it (almost) always takes 5-6 seconds to charge. I'm using pretty new Eneloop NiMH batteries.

Thanks,
08-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your batts should be good (as long as they're fully charged) and direct flash reduces flash intensity required. What about the other things: aperture & ISO settings, subject distance from flash?

As indicated, I don't know what's going on with the AF - unless the spotbeam's working to assist in AF, there really isn't any reason that the flash should influence your camera's AF accuracy.

08-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ndy4eva Quote
I came across some focusing issue when I have AF360 mounted. It doesn't focus correctly. It wasn't really dark and AF assist-beam did not come on. When I turn off the flash and take a shot, it's blur (due to shutter speed) but it focuses correctly.

I tried with different lenses but I do have same behaviour.

Also, I don't like the recycle time on 360 that much. Does AF540 improve quite more?

Thanks,
Did the aperture change between Flash On and Flash Off ? This can happen if you are on other than Av mode. Aperture can influence the focus behaviour of the lens.