Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2009, 03:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have put my name down for one with them thanks to this thread. By far the biggest issue I've found coming back to photography after long absence is poor focus. The default ones just don't do it for me as I prefer to focus manually.

08-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
One of the regulars on the PDML has indicated that the K10/K20 screens are not interchangable to the K-7.
Hmm, if I knew where those little plastic tweezers were, I'd try swapping my K20D katzeye into the K7 this weekend. I do miss it.
09-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

For anyone that can't wait, another place does these now.

K-7 focusing screen

Has anyone here used focusingscreen dot com for other models?
09-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote

K-7 focusing screen

I have the K3 screen for my K20D. All I can say is that it is one of the nicest focusing screens I have used. I also have the JinFinance and Travor for my Samsung GS-1S. The cheaper Chinese focusing screens seem a bit crude compared to the FocusingScreen screen. The K3 screen is made from a Nikon FF focusing screen.

I just placed an order for their Ec-B screen used by Canon, it is split image without the microprism collar.

The screen comes in the original packaging and was spotless, completely clean. Also it did not have the two adhesive films on either side so it just drops in and you are ready to shoot.

I would recommend them as a better alternative to the cheapest Chinese focusing screen especially if you do not want to spend the money Katz Eye demands for their screens.

09-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #20

Interesting.

Anyone compared the KatzEye and focusingscreendotcom screens? Is the KatzEye ones worth somewhere between a $30 - $100 (w. optibrite) premium over the focusingscreendotcom variants?
09-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

K-7 focusing screen

Thanks..just ordered the K-3 screen...if it is stock FF Nikon screen, how bad can it be. Finally with K-7 I don't need the spot metering, and can finally use MF screens....this alone is a worthy improvement over the K10D.
09-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I went with them too, I'm sure the katzEye one is perfectly splendid, but I don't remember being at all unhappy with the Nikon one I had in my old FE2.

09-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

K-7 focusing screen

Thanks. Just ordered mine (K3 w/ grid lines) yesterday

Actually I've been in contact with them ever since I got my K-7. They sent me an email right after the K7 screens were available. But only until two days ago they got the K3 screen w/ grid lines ready for order
09-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Thanks. Just ordered mine (K3 w/ grid lines) yesterday

Actually I've been in contact with them ever since I got my K-7. They sent me an email right after the K7 screens were available. But only until two days ago they got the K3 screen w/ grid lines ready for order
Nice! When I checked yesterday they didn't have the grid-lines version up (they only had the one K-3 screen, and the other two FSB's).

Anybody know how the screen thickness compares between the K-7 and the K3? I heard K-7 screen is thinner than the K20 one to keep it brighter, but that was just anecdotal from a Pentax rep at a trade show.

The Katz-eye screen would be the same thickness as the K-7 one, but that's the only thing that might sway me in that direction.
09-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I went with them too, I'm sure the katzEye one is perfectly splendid, but I don't remember being at all unhappy with the Nikon one I had in my old FE2.
Just fyi - I've just fitted the screen from focusingscreens.com and it is exactly what I was hoping for. I'm utterly delighted.

*hops like bunny*

-Nass
09-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Just fyi - I've just fitted the screen from focusingscreens.com and it is exactly what I was hoping for. I'm utterly delighted.

*hops like bunny*

-Nass
Great to hear, Nass! Especially because I ordered one in the meantime! Who said Pentaxians were patient?
09-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Maybe late in the day for this reply, Katzeye website shows K7 screens now.
09-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Just got my K3 screen from focusingscreen, but the screen is a tad bit thicker than the Pentax origina one I installed it w/o any problem, but the focusing accuracy isn't as good as I hoped. I used my friend's one on K20D, that's really accurate. Now I need to play more and see how, but I do feel it might be some problem there due to the thickness difference.

I can easily get better results w/ LV than using the split screen. Is there any adjustment I can do to solve this different thickness issue?
09-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Just got my K3 screen from focusingscreen, but the screen is a tad bit thicker than the Pentax origina one I installed it w/o any problem, but the focusing accuracy isn't as good as I hoped. I used my friend's one on K20D, that's really accurate. Now I need to play more and see how, but I do feel it might be some problem there due to the thickness difference.

I can easily get better results w/ LV than using the split screen. Is there any adjustment I can do to solve this different thickness issue?
Are you seeing a front focus or back focus issue. Mine was fine in my K20D even though it was a bit thicker. The Canon screens they use are thinner.
09-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Are you seeing a front focus or back focus issue. Mine was fine in my K20D even though it was a bit thicker. The Canon screens they use are thinner.
Seems a bit front focusing, but I need to do more test and see how. It works great w/ my A*135, the FA77 seems okay too. But I have some problem focusing w/ the K50/1.2 Only got chance to test out these three.