Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Seems a bit front focusing, but I need to do more test and see how. It works great w/ my A*135, the FA77 seems okay too. But I have some problem focusing w/ the K50/1.2 Only got chance to test out these three.
Hmm, I was afraid that the thickness would be a problem. Still, mine's shipping, so I'll give it a shot!

However, I'm glad to hear you've had success with a few of your fine lenses, Frank!

I had a cut-down K1000 screen for my K20 and it worked really well. It was a hair off, but I knew it and compensated for it.

I heard a couple of forum members have problems with the Katz-Eye™ on their K20's, needing to shim them out varying amounts. They've both switched to Nikon now, so I thought I'd try a Nikon screen in my K-7! (yes, I'm aware that makes no sense)

09-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just got my K3 screen from focusingscreen, but the screen is a tad bit thicker than the Pentax origina one I installed it w/o any problem, but the focusing accuracy isn't as good as I hoped. I used my friend's one on K20D, that's really accurate. Now I need to play more and see how, but I do feel it might be some problem there due to the thickness difference.

I can easily get better results w/ LV than using the split screen. Is there any adjustment I can do to solve this different thickness issue?
This just sucks...if it is not spot on, what's the point in this screen? I will get in a day or two and will report back, if it is not spot on I hope they take returns.
09-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #33
Forum Member

Can someone clarify whether the K10D of istD focusing screens will fit in the K7?

Thanks.
09-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zarkon Quote
Can someone clarify whether the K10D of istD focusing screens will fit in the K7?

Thanks.
They will not fit.

09-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Hmm, I was afraid that the thickness would be a problem. Still, mine's shipping, so I'll give it a shot!

However, I'm glad to hear you've had success with a few of your fine lenses, Frank!

I had a cut-down K1000 screen for my K20 and it worked really well. It was a hair off, but I knew it and compensated for it.

I heard a couple of forum members have problems with the Katz-Eye™ on their K20's, needing to shim them out varying amounts. They've both switched to Nikon now, so I thought I'd try a Nikon screen in my K-7! (yes, I'm aware that makes no sense)
Well, I brought my K7 and K50/1.2 out again today, but stupid me, forgot to change battery The battery was flat already last night
09-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
This just sucks...if it is not spot on, what's the point in this screen? I will get in a day or two and will report back, if it is not spot on I hope they take returns.
Actually it's not too bad. Only the 50/1.2 at wide open aperture it's not as sharp as I hoped. I could get sharper result when using LV. But when I set to F2, the result came out pretty decent. Haven't tested AF yet.
09-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I installed it w/o any problem, but the focusing accuracy isn't as good as I hoped.
Just to make sure it isn't that: Have you installed it upside down?

09-15-2009, 12:19 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Just to make sure it isn't that: Have you installed it upside down?
Don't think so, there is a small tab on the left side. K7's screen is a bit different from the previous Pentax cameras', the tab is on the left, while all the others are on the right side.

Unless focusingscreen made a mistake on the screen ...

Last edited by frank; 09-15-2009 at 12:24 AM.
09-15-2009, 01:11 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Don't think so, there is a small tab on the left side. K7's screen is a bit different from the previous Pentax cameras', the tab is on the left, while all the others are on the right side.

Unless focusingscreen made a mistake on the screen ...
I don't think it's possible to install it upside down because of that little tab, doesn't it determine the only manner in which it can fit? That's what I figured when I couldn't see any instructions for which way to stick it in anyway

Mine's perfectly sharp everywhere I tested, and syncs up with AF perfectly. If I had to be critical I'd pick out two things, the 'rule of thirds' grid isn't black ink but an etch (so it's a tiny bit more prominent than I'd personally like) and of course it does tarken things a touch. But, and I suppose I'm unusual here, I have a particular problem with non splitscreen focussing screens because I'm used to the old manual SLR way of focusing. So all these niggles are comfortably outweighed by the fact that I can focus again securely, rather than feeling I was guessing
09-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I don't think it's possible to install it upside down because of that little tab, doesn't it determine the only manner in which it can fit? That's what I figured when I couldn't see any instructions for which way to stick it in anyway

Mine's perfectly sharp everywhere I tested, and syncs up with AF perfectly. If I had to be critical I'd pick out two things, the 'rule of thirds' grid isn't black ink but an etch (so it's a tiny bit more prominent than I'd personally like) and of course it does tarken things a touch. But, and I suppose I'm unusual here, I have a particular problem with non splitscreen focussing screens because I'm used to the old manual SLR way of focusing. So all these niggles are comfortably outweighed by the fact that I can focus again securely, rather than feeling I was guessing
That's sounds great! I think the focusing problem w/ my K50/1.2 is more a problem of myself instead of the screen. At wide open, the DOF is so narrow, really not easy to control even w/ a split screen. Besides, this lens isn't very contrasty one, not like the A*135/1.8 which is so much easy to use w/ a split screen on Overall I'm quite happy w/ the K3 screen.

And I agree w/ you on the grid lines, they are hard to see sometimes.
09-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Got my focsingscreen.com k3 screen. The focus is spot on, but I found it extremely difficult to get into place. Tried the stock screen back and still had difficulty. Managed to install it, but with both screens with scratches and dark grease like powder. I used the supplied gloves and forceps.,

So, focus spot on but I have one scratched up dirty view finder...oh! well...live and learn. Glad I didn't break the camera, as one point I had to put tremendous pressure on the assembly for it to snap back in .

Well with further testing, the focus is not accurate with my FA77 and metering slightly off, and I just put my now scratched up stock screen back on....I am not a happy camper.

Last edited by pcarfan; 09-15-2009 at 06:29 PM.
09-20-2009, 05:04 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Anybody yet to comment on Katzeye plus or Katzeye Optibright for K-7 and possible effect on metering ?

Thank you.
09-23-2009, 06:02 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Anybody yet to comment on Katzeye plus or Katzeye Optibright for K-7 and possible effect on metering ?

Thank you.
I have just (15 minutes ago) asked them for an offer on a custom screen similar to the one I have in my K20D (Optibrite, custom gridlines, no prism). In the K20D it resulted in about 0.5 stop underexposure compared to exposures with the standard screen, which required some compensation to be dialled in on the K20D. Since the K20D always required some compensation due to the not so consistent metering, this didn't have much impact on the handling of the camera.

The K-7 exposing a tad brighter and more consistently, though sometimes blowing highlights slightly, this should be even less of an issue. I currently am using it in D-Range mode to avoid the slight blowing of the highlights. If the same 0.5 stop underexposure applies, I might just return to normal mode and regain ISO100 without any blowing of the highlights.

Some detail why I'm hoping the KatzEye would work as an implicit D-Range. As far as I understand now, D-Range takes the metering at the set ISO (e.g. ISO200) but the sensor is actually working at 0.5 stop lower ISO during exposure (with ISO200 set that would be ISO140), thus underexposing 0.5 stops and avoiding blowing the highlights.

[EDIT]I just ordered the screen for my K-7.[/EDIT]

I will update this once I have the KatzEye for the K-7 installed.

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 09-24-2009 at 01:12 AM.
10-26-2009, 07:18 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Alright, thank you Wim.
10-28-2009, 03:42 AM   #45
Forum Member

The katzeye would be a very nice addition to my K-7.
However i worry about the focus plane being different, there seems to be some threads about that and that would become counter productive with manual lenses.
How does one assure that the Katzeye is on the correct focal plane?