Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2009, 05:55 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I bought a focusingscreen.com K3 screen for my K-7 a couple of weeks ago. I had to remove the original copper shim and replace it with the supplied shim to get rid of front focusing. Once calibrated, the screen is a joy to use.

During the calibration, I replaced my screen at least 30 times so I can now do the deed with my eyes closed. The trick is to lightly apply pressure to the top clip with the tip of the tweezers in an upward direction when removing the screen and to lightly press the "nipple" until it snaps into the clip when installing. If you feel like you're applying too much pressure without result, STOP. You're probably applying too much pressure.

And yes, the tab is on the left side for K-7 screen.

Adam

10-28-2009, 06:25 AM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Photong Quote
I bought a focusingscreen.com K3 screen for my K-7 a couple of weeks ago. I had to remove the original copper shim and replace it with the supplied shim to get rid of front focusing. Once calibrated, the screen is a joy to use.

During the calibration, I replaced my screen at least 30 times

Adam
I'm keen to get this focusing screen, but worried it won't be spot on.

Can you please explain HOW to calibrate it?

Thanks
10-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

During the calibration, I replaced my screen at least 30 times so I can now do the deed with my eyes closed. The trick is to lightly apply pressure to the top clip with the tip of the tweezers in an upward direction when removing the screen and to lightly press the "nipple" until it snaps into the clip when installing. If you feel like you're applying too much pressure without result, STOP. You're probably applying too much pressure.

And yes, the tab is on the left side for K-7 screen.

Adam
Hey, thanks for your update. I put mine in and it was pretty tight. It's also a little off, but I didn't realize there were alternate shims included, or that there was a shim in there in the first place for the stock screen!
10-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bonovox Quote
I'm keen to get this focusing screen, but worried it won't be spot on.

Can you please explain HOW to calibrate it?

Thanks
Focusing Screen--How to adjust focusing screen--

10-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Thanks for that link!
10-30-2009, 07:16 AM   #51
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the katzeye and very happy with it. No apparent problems with focusing.
11-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #52

Wow, these focusing screens are all a lot more affordable than I remember, but maybe I've just gotten used to Photography being an expensive hobby...

My only concern right now is that I'd be worried about mussing up my camera too badly... Do any of these companies allow you to send in your camera so that they can install & calibrate the focusing screen for you?

If not, how difficult is it *REALLY* and how much danger is there of messing things up? I'm nearsighted and a bit of a butterfingers...

11-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
Wow, these focusing screens are all a lot more affordable than I remember, but maybe I've just gotten used to Photography being an expensive hobby...

My only concern right now is that I'd be worried about mussing up my camera too badly... Do any of these companies allow you to send in your camera so that they can install & calibrate the focusing screen for you?

If not, how difficult is it *REALLY* and how much danger is there of messing things up? I'm nearsighted and a bit of a butterfingers...
Katzeye will install it for you, for $65, but it's pretty unnecessary with any of the models (like the K20D and K-7) that are designed to have removable screens. I'm pretty darn near the incompetent level of klutz and didn't have any problems at all.
01-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
any new thoughts on manual-focus screens?

I'm getting ready to buy my first DSLR (definitely a Pentax, probably a K-7, though possibly a K20D) and have been reading through this thread and others since I plan on using various K and M series lenses.

Since the last post in this thread is a couple months old, I wondered if anyone had anything new to say about the various screens discussed here, those from KatzEye and FocusingScreen.

Has anyone used both? If so, do you have a preference? Do both seem to be as accurate, or does one need more "calibration" than the other? Do they both seem to work fine for AF, too?

I'm accustomed to SLRs with horizontal split-focus screens, so I don't think I'd need a diagonal split, especially since the KatzEye folks (as stated in an earlier post) seem to think it's not as accurate.

FWIW, I plan on getting a Pentax magnifying eyepiece as well. If anyone has thoughts to share on that, I'd appreciate it.

At any rate, I hope to be shooting with a Pentax soon!
01-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
I'm getting ready to buy my first DSLR (definitely a Pentax, probably a K-7, though possibly a K20D) and have been reading through this thread and others since I plan on using various K and M series lenses.

Since the last post in this thread is a couple months old, I wondered if anyone had anything new to say about the various screens discussed here, those from KatzEye and FocusingScreen.

Has anyone used both? If so, do you have a preference? Do both seem to be as accurate, or does one need more "calibration" than the other? Do they both seem to work fine for AF, too?

I'm accustomed to SLRs with horizontal split-focus screens, so I don't think I'd need a diagonal split, especially since the KatzEye folks (as stated in an earlier post) seem to think it's not as accurate.

FWIW, I plan on getting a Pentax magnifying eyepiece as well. If anyone has thoughts to share on that, I'd appreciate it.

At any rate, I hope to be shooting with a Pentax soon!
I bought a Katz-Eye for my K7, but the registration of the screen is off far enough that it is useless. At some point I'll send the camera in to get the screen shimmed in.
I don't want to send it to Katz because I don't feel like dealing with foreign shipping.
Perhaps this afternoon I'll call around and see if I can get a Canadian repair shop to look after it for me.