Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Katz Eye screens for K7

It might be time for the team effort here.
A lot of us, I am sure, would like a Katz Eye screen for our K-7 cameras.
Even those who don't, or who don't have a K-7 would, I am sure, be interested in seeing the K-7 get the recognition it desrves by having a Katz Eye made available for it.

Why not email them and ask when they will have one available for the K-7?
customerservice at katzeyeoptics.com

08-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there was a post here a few days ago, someone was talking to Rachel Katz and was told they were in the validation phase.

I suggested that we throw in th e idea of a diagonal split,
08-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No need to e-mail. I was in touch with Rachael Katz last week and the k-7 version is in testing. Should be available shortly.
08-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
No need to e-mail. I was in touch with Rachael Katz last week and the k-7 version is in testing. Should be available shortly.
did you asker about making a diagonal split?

08-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This just in

Thank you very much for your inquiry. Actually, there is a 100% chance of
seeing a Katz Eye split screen for the Pentax K-7 in the not too distant
future! We have completed our functional testing and we are currently
working on final beta testing, documentation, web pages, etc. If all goes
well, the new screens should be ready in the next few weeks. I will keep
your email on file, and as soon as we have an official release date, I bill
be sure to let you know. Thanks again for your interest in Katz Eye Optics
products and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Rachael Katz
Katz Eye Optics
Tel. +1.413.743.2523
Fax +1.888.251.5477
<http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/> www.katzeyeoptics.com"
08-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Why do you need a specific K7 screen since Pentax seems to think the LI-60 and LI-80 screens fit, those happen to be the same screens used in the K10D and K20D. By extention the K7 could use the K10/K20 Katz Eye.
08-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I contacted Katz Eye Optics more than a month ago about a split screen for the K-7. At that time, they said were producing the initial prototypes.

I also ask about a 45° split screen. Here is a part of the reply:
---
I do understand the advantage of a 45 degree prism in certain situations. As you pointed out, they can work with both vertical and horizontal lines. Unfortunately, the 45 degree design is also less accurate than the horizontal design, due to idiosyncrasies and limitations of human vision. So while the 45 degree design works in more situations, it is less accurate in most of them as well. When we made our first screens, we had to make certain decisions to limit the number of different screens we offered, in order to keep the cost reasonable. And we chose to go with the horizontal design common to Nikon cameras of years past, rather than the 45 degree design more common in Pentax cameras. Since the K-7 screens will be made from the same materials and on the same equipment, it will also be of the horizontal design only. Hopefully we will one day be able to offer both types of screens, but it will not be until some unknown date in the future.
---

08-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Why do you need a specific K7 screen since Pentax seems to think the LI-60 and LI-80 screens fit, those happen to be the same screens used in the K10D and K20D. By extention the K7 could use the K10/K20 Katz Eye.
Are they the same? the K7 manual calls up MI-60, ML-60, ME-60 and MF-60 screens

I am not so sure these are the same size, but I believe the 60 implies the same material as the *istD screen, i.e. MI-60 (for K7) is same material as the LI-60 for *istD.

In total I think the screen code is as follows

AB-12

where A

= L for *istD, K20 and K10
= M for K7

Where B

= F for Standard AF matte screen
= L for divided matte screen
= E for a plane matte screen
= I for scale matte screen

ad where 12

60 = *istD and K7 finish
80 = K10/20 super bright (for lack of better definition) finish

others can add in with DS, DL K1x0 and K200 codes
08-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Lowell, you could be right, I just went by the Pentax USA site for K-7 Accessories and they still list the K10D/K20D screens under K-7.

The Japanese site does list the M series, guess its just those darn lazy Americans again.
08-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Lowell, you could be right, I just went by the Pentax USA site for K-7 Accessories and they still list the K10D/K20D screens under K-7.

The Japanese site does list the M series, guess its just those darn lazy Americans again.
So does the canadian site, M series for K7 just like the manual.

I won't talk about those lazy americans

Looked up other DSLRs and only the *istDS lists optional screens, LL-60 and LI-60 like the *istD

What about the penta mirror cameras, no optional screens?
08-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
So does the canadian site, M series for K7 just like the manual.

I won't talk about those lazy americans

Looked up other DSLRs and only the *istDS lists optional screens, LL-60 and LI-60 like the *istD

What about the penta mirror cameras, no optional screens?
One of the regulars on the PDML has indicated that the K10/K20 screens are not interchangable to the K-7.
08-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

What would be nice also is a matte screen with just a microprism center without the split image. I have an MX with this screen in it. It works quite nicely. It might alleviate the metering issues too.
08-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
What would be nice also is a matte screen with just a microprism center without the split image. I have an MX with this screen in it. It works quite nicely. It might alleviate the metering issues too.
you mean like this one:
08-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The one I have doesn't have any collar just the mircroprism center. Very unobtrusive. It doesn't black out. It is not as precise as the split image screen but is a better aid to manual focusing than the standard screens offered by Pentax.
08-27-2009, 06:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
The one I have doesn't have any collar just the mircroprism center. Very unobtrusive. It doesn't black out. It is not as precise as the split image screen but is a better aid to manual focusing than the standard screens offered by Pentax.
Rico,

If this one is like the Nikon K3 screen that focusingscreen.com sells the outer rings are very unintrusive and really only noticeable if the image is out of focus. This particular one is a Canon screen reground to the correct size. I have the JinFinance, Travor and FocusingScreen split image screens and by far the FocusingScreen K3 is much better. Here is the sample image:

Now the two rings will appear larger on any crop camera but does not seem to be an issue nor is it something that I find offensive when focusing. The screens that JinFinance uses are reground K1000 screens (likely a cheap knock off as the edges are not as precise as the Nikon or Canon screens). I also noticed the the matte portion of the Canon and Nikon screens clear up much better in the viewfinder than the cheaper Chinese screens.

Personally I am waiting for more stock of this particular screen:

As much as I like the Nikon K3 screen sometimes I need either Portrait mode or I am focusing something completely horizontal.