Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help!!!!

I snap a photo this morning as I always do and all is good. Every snap I take after that I get a black image, the preview on the LCD is all yellow. I cnapped about 50 more thinking it was a bad spot on my SD card. I went through every camera mode and changed lenses. Went from RAW to JPG, with and w/o flash.

WTF!!!!!!!

(K10D)

05-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #2

What camera? How old is it? Did you replace the SD card? If not, did you re-format the card? If it's more than a 2-year camera, what about the system battery? (I KNOW the K10D has one that will eventually need replacing. Don't know about the other models.) If you did both of those, try taking the regular battery out and waiting 30 seconds or so and re-inserting it and taking a shot. If THAT doesn't work, it's time to call Pentax support!
Rob W
05-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is the K10D, I just swapped out the SD card and formatted it, nothing. I moved the battery from the grip to the body, nothing. Looks like I am calling Pentax. Well, lemme try a firmware upgrade, I am not on 1.20 yet.
05-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nope, that didnt work.

05-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here's what I'd try (one step at a time so you know what worked if something changes):
- a physically different SD card (if you have one)
- reset the camera to its defaults using the menu (there's usually a selection for this)
- as someone else mentioned, remove the batteries and leave the camera for 30-60 minutes

If these, along with redoing the firmware, don't cause the camera to reset itself, then you likely have a hardware problem and, presumably, a warranty claim.

Dave
05-17-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ouch Buddha, you've tried everything I would have tried. One question is the camera continuing to count the shutter clicks? IE IMGP 0001 0002 etc? Are the shutter and aperture responding normally? (you should be able to check aperture by doing an optical dof, I think the K10D has that option) If everything else is responding normally then it's either a problem with the senor or in writing to the card. At least it's still under warranty. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

NaCl(it sucks when your equipment doesn't work as intended)H2O
05-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Lots of luck with that Buddha. I sure hope that the warranty guys can fix it for you fast.
05-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I called, they were clueless to what could of caused it.

Dave - I jsut reset the camera, nothing. I will take the battery out before I leave for work and check it when I get back

Salty - everything is working.counting as expected

I will wait and see what happens when I get home. Good thing I didnt sell the K110D!

Thanks for your help and suggestions everyone.

05-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Have you take off the grip? It can't hurt to give it a try along with the other things.
Kenn
05-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #10

Most probably has nothing to do with it but give all possibilities a shot . At one point I had a problem shooting (powered on but could not release the shutter) and after trying various troubleshooting techniques I still couldn't get it to shoot. After feeling sick about it, I decided to just take off the lens and re-attach it. Voila! Somehow, it seems the connected lens was pressed against something while in the bag and ever so slightly moved out of its properly connected position. I usually take care of my camera but these things do happen.

This may not work, especially if you could shoot as you have stated but I guess all attempts could help you determine the culprit. Hope you find you're solution!
05-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Kenn - I did remove the grip, thanks for the input

Bori - I tried different lenses on it and checked the connector, all looks good.
05-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just got home, and I put the battery in, and its not working...
05-17-2007, 10:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hey Buddha. You mention that your preview is wonky, but are the pics still coming out ok when you transfer to the computer? If not, then definitely send in for service.
05-18-2007, 12:15 AM   #14
PDL
Pentaxian

Try this -
set the camera for sensor cleaning - look inside and:
1. if the mirror is not up and locked --- you have an issue. (mirror)
2. if you can not see the sensor --- you have an issue. (shutter)
3. if the mirror is up and locked, but you see the blades of the shutter - you have an issue (shutter)

Then if you are feeling brave.
a. take the lens off of the camera - set it to B and manual focus turn off SR.
b. press the shutter - you should see the mirror move and if you are lucky you might see the shutter move (top to bottom) note: as long as you keep the shutter button down -- the mirror should be up and the shutter will be open - if the shutter is not open you have a shutter issue - if the mirror is not up you have a mirror issue.

You can also try setting the camera to X and watching too - the mirror should go up and the shutter should open the close and the mirror should drop back down. If this does not happen --- you have an issue.

Check to see if the iris on the lens is opening and closing - not stuck closed or something. Now don't take this wrong - see if you have left the lens cap on - or look through the lens to see if there is an obstruction (just cover all the bases -- I have done it all at one time or another)

PDL --- they call me "you have an issue"
05-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions PDL, I am going to just ship it out to Pentax. It's under warranty, I will let them deal with it.