Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Stuck on Manual Focus?

My *ist DS is stuck on manual focus. It does not matter what I have the switch on front of the camera set to, it says mf in the eyepiece. Is there a simple solution to this? I have asked pentax and am waiting for what they will say. Any insight would be most welcome. Thanks in advance!!

05-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own the DS and have never had that problem. One question, I know it says MF in the viewfinder but is it really? What I'm thinking is the LED characters are stuck but not the camera. If you focus out to infinity and then point the camera at a nearby object and halfway depress the shutter, does the camera auto focus? Also do you have more than one lens? If you do have more than one lens is the problem happening with all your lenses? Even if you have only one lens, try removing and re-installing the lens.
I would try removing the batteries for about 1/2 an hour and then re-inatalling them. Also reset all the camera settings to default.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O
05-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would imagine that you have a auto focus lens on there already. It'll say mf with any manual lens no mater what position you have the camera set.

With that in mind if there's something wrong with your lens (dirty contacts or anything) it's possible that even an auto focus lens will cause the camera to think that it's manual.
So I'd advise you to just try another lens and see what happens.
05-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks all. I'll check the contacts. I believe my other lens is a MF so I won't be able to check with that. The contacts did look a bit dirty, I'll try cleaning them and see what happens.

Good call NaClH2O, I'll have to check when I get home. I was just out shooting a little bit ago, and it would not focus on its own with the kit lens. I'm hoping it's just dirty contacts, or the lens is shot. Not that I mind maual focusing, but having autofocus would be very nice at times. Can only get the dogs to hold still for so long after all.

05-17-2007, 02:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
It must be a problem with the contacts or the lens (at least partially). The exif data for all my shots is 0mm focal length. That can't be right (I know it isn't).

Some examples:

click both for larger
05-18-2007, 06:06 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Mine was stuck

I have an ist*DS that the switch was stuck on manual as well. Out of desperation, (not for the faint of heart!), I used a flat screwdriver to force the focus switch down to auto, figuring that if I broke it, it would have to go to the shop anyway. Fortunately, the switch snapped back down without breaking and has worked ever since. Must be something with the design of the stops on the switch. Since it’s plastic, it is a little forgiving on being forced and will not have as close tolerances as metal.
05-18-2007, 06:31 AM   #7

Original Poster
I'll try that. The switch moves freely from AF to MF though. If I had to guess, I'd say whatever the switch switches is broken.

I'm going to call Pentax today and try to work this out.

05-18-2007, 07:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by case sensitive Quote
It must be a problem with the contacts or the lens (at least partially). The exif data for all my shots is 0mm focal length. That can't be right (I know it isn't).

Some examples: *snipped out photos*
Well there certainly is a problem with the contacts then. The camera thinks you have a manual lens mounted, even if it's the kit lens. One question, do you have another auto lens? If you do, mount that one and if everything comes up auto, you know that the problem resides in the kit lens. Even if you don't have your own auto lens, is there a camera store nearby that sells K mount lenses? Any auto lens would do, all you have to do is turn the camera off, mount the lens and turn the camera back on and see if the AF shows up. Personally, I'm thinking the problem is with your kit lens. But with the 0mm focal length there is definitely a commuincation problem between at least THAT lens and the camera.
Here is something else you can try: Mount a manual lens; switch the camera to AF; Main dial anyplace but M (AV, TV or P will do) intentionally mis focus (out to infinity with a close subject or vice versa) make sure you DO NOT have focus lock, will the camera allow you to take the photo? If it doesn't than the AF is working even with a manual lens mounted, the AF will not allow a shutter depress if there is no focus confirmation even with a manual lens. Found that out after a very quick lens change the other day. Put my manual Zenitar fisheye on and was unable to take a shot I wanted. Realized I had the AF on.

NaCl(let us know how you make out)H2O
05-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #9

Original Poster
It will not let me take a shot with my manual focus lens unless it is in focus (camera set on AF). I'll double check and post results. Thanks a ton NaClH2O (and every one else!)!
05-19-2007, 06:30 AM   #10

Original Poster
Went to Ritz last night and tried the same lens as the kit on my camera. AF worked perfectly. Off to ebay to pick up a new AF lens!

Thanks all for the help/suggestions.