Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 02:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Pentax replied back with a terse message stating that b/c my camera's warrentee expired (a few months ago), the repair cost will be $650.00.
I will reserve my opinion.... otherwise I will likely break forum rules!
Man that really sucks!
I'm tempted to say that I'd probably sell all my gear and move on if this happened to me, however, we've owned several bodies throughout the year and I've had similar problems with a D200 and a Canon(streaking). I sent to have the D200 repaired because it was under warranty, however, I sold the Canon and moved on.

We also picked-up a K-7 this summer past and it had sensor problems as well.
We returned it and tried another at the store and it too had the same problem.
The owner told us it was a bad batch and that he was going to return them.
Long story short... there just aren't any guarantee's in this business I guess.

You mentioned that the problem was intermittent.
Did you manage to find how or when this problem comes up?

11-29-2009, 03:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

bad memory cards have caused these issues before.
do try a new card.
11-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

1) Memory cards are capable of creating the problem you are seeing.
2) Before you lose your mind with Pentax do yourself a favour and read the warranty card. It is a document which is legally binding on both parts.
Pay careful attention to the warranty time frame.
3) Ask yourself: Had i sent the camera for repair when I first noticed the issue rather than waiting to bleat about it on an internet forum, would it have been fixed under warranty.

People have to take some responsibility for this stuff. The manufacturer can only do so much. They put warranties on for a reason.
12-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Pentax replied back with a terse message stating that b/c my camera's warrentee expired (a few months ago), the repair cost will be $650.00.

I will reserve my opinion.... otherwise I will likely break forum rules!
I've had my K20D just since August. This was the only time I've noticed the banding on the left side. I was using a Takumar SMC 200mm F4, ISO 200 (dynamic range expanded - possible suspect?), varying exposures. This one is 1.3 sec. Similarly exposed shots since then have turned out fine. 2 years of warranty, so I'll wait to see if this becomes a serious issue.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
03-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #20

dont know if anyone still reads this old post, but i now suffer the same problem with my k20d. But it only appears in very cold weather
check my post here:

Shutterstock Photographer Forum :: View topic - vertical noise
03-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hansenn Quote
dont know if anyone still reads this old post, but i now suffer the same problem with my k20d. But it only appears in very cold weather
check my post here:

Shutterstock Photographer Forum :: View topic - vertical noise
I hope you're right, I had this same experience and it was cold, but above freezing. It only happened in a couple of frames ("mid roll") out of probably 60-80 that day... (maybe only occurred 4 times out of 6K total shots)

Thanks for the link!
03-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K20D was acquired 4 years ago, second hand and has had a banding issue for at least the last few years. But with me it's probably one in 50. And it's odd because it doesn't happen for a while, and then two or three images out of 5 or 6 will be ruined. Only once were two consecutive images ruined. I wish I'd saved one so I could post what I'm talking about. For me the camera is still useable as is, and as a 4 year old second hand camera, really, it doesn't owe me anything. the camera has cost me $200 a year to own and I used to spend that on film in the two weeks of my summer vacation. So we've now pretty much relegated it to back up status with the arrival of a new K-5. I paid $150 more for my K-5 new than I did for the K20D second hand, a real no brainer.

It sounds like your problem is more serious than ours, but I totally understand your frustration. We did a snow shoe trip last year deep into the bush and I took a series of pictures at one location. Of the 6 frames four were ruined including all the best shots. And, you can't turn the clock back and do it again. As I said, our does it maybe 2% of the time and it was enough for us to consider a new camera body. I just can't imagine the frustration it would be to have it happen as often as it happens to you.

03-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #23

As normhead says, it doesnt happen all the time. For me it isnt a big issue. I bought my k20d 2 1/2 years ago new for €500 and over 99% from the 43,000 pics i took didnt had that kind of noise.
Although i like to have the K-5, but right now I am waiting for a (possible) fullframe pentax. Hope one appears at the photokina at the end of this year.
03-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My suspicion is it's a function of an older battery. At first it happened in cold weather, then it started happening in warmer weather, I suspect when the battery was low, but no proof of that yet. That's what makes the most sense to me would be that it's a function of a depleted power source. But it's not enough of a problem for me to bother buying a new battery to test this theory. Both of my batteries are over 4 years old now, my shutter count is only 24,000 so, it's definitely not a function of overuse. ANd just from memory, it usually happens in the second or third image in a burst, another reason I think it may be a power issue related to older batteries no longer meeting spec.
03-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #25

you could be right with your battery theory. Last time it happened was outside with cold temperatures and only the last shots, when the camera/battery had been outside in the cold for almost one hour.
I also (only) use the original battery
04-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Digital camera sensors suck, super expensive, rather flaky for as critical as it is, and the stupid engineers make it the hardest part to replace.
The number one feature I want to see Pentax engineer into their FF camera is a super easily changeable sensor block, it should unscrew and slide out with just the bottom panel off, that would make it just a few hundred to swap it which would be acceptable.

That said the vertical banding on the K20D (and others) in cold weather is a known thing, I've seen it once on mine since I do a lot of winter shooting at night with A lenses which are a massive metal and glass heat sink. Just do a 30 second exposure, that'll nicely preheat the sensor. May have something to do with the super low temps drastically (and randomly) altering the resistance on an already touchy sensor and confusing it. Its possible its just chilling the battery enough to do that, but its pretty well insulated and your hand sits right on top of that area. Lots of other parts to tweak resistance in extreme cold though.
Mine looks like wallpaper stripes all the way across, kinda cool. Now that its spring my long exposure night shots start to generate green hot pixels after awhile. I always chimp with long exposures or super cold weather now since the banding actually shows up super clearly on the LCD.
Your vertical band is odd though, I think it may be a different sensor problem.

Did I mention digital camera sensors suck?
04-04-2012, 04:33 AM   #27

good idea of the new ff pentax with removeable sensor