K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is the K20 grip weather resistant?

08-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can tell you now that for the demanding user, this is a huge disappointment. I have 2 D-BG2's. One on a K10D and the other on a K20D. As most know, I shoot a lot of weddings and other events. Both cameras have flash brackets mounted to the tripod socket of the grip.

Now I assume (hoped) that the top plate of the grip was metal even if the rest was plastic. But that may not be the case. Both these grips were rock solid tight when new. The lateral stress of a heavy flash and me holding the unit by the bracket has dramatically loosened the grips. I can stick the thickness of 3-4 business cards between the grip and body now if I put some pressure on the flash bracket. Both grips will be retired this fall when crazy season is over.

So to hear that a grip that is twice the price of the old one and only a slight improvement in functionality is a big let down. I hope Rico is right and I'd love to have JCPentax tell us for sure. I hope the D-BG4 has an upgraded baseplate from the D-BG2.

Spending that much for a part I want and need, that I also know will only last a year with my type of use is not good.

Maybe it's really time for a 24x36 camera with the larger body (integrated "grip") and no external grip as an add on. I'd be very happy with that for a number of reasons.
08-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I was told by a Pentax rep that the baseplate of the grip is metal the rest is plastic.
I've got a D-BG4 in my hands now, and Pentax is right.
The baseplate between the camera and the grip and also the bottom of the grip (inside) are metal.
For the rest it is hard to tell, it looks like some sort of composite material, like the outside of the K-7 body.

- Bert
08-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Somebody needs to smash theirs with a hammer to get the inside story.

08-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Somebody needs to smash theirs with a hammer to get the inside story.
I second that motion. Please post pics.
08-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Is the K20 grip weather resistant?
According the the Pentax website, it is as weather resistant as the body.
08-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
nikon offers the MB-D10 in magnesium for about the same (street) price as the D-BG4 so I suppose its certainly not too much to ask to have the grip in the same material as the body. I just find it surprising that you expected something other than plastic.
Injection moulding (which I suppose is the case of making the magnesium parts) have a high initial cost while the price per part after that first investment is low. Nikon must sell more grips than Pentax sell K-7's so for them the initial investment are no biggie.

08-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I really hope that Pentax had look into this before. otherwise, if the D-BG4 is not that durable, Pentax might consider making and releasing a much better grip that it. a magnesium alloy casing would be a good idea.

anyways, since we don't have any news or complaints regarding the D-BG4's durability except for it's plastic material component, and haven't been really tested yet for it's durability under long stress, we could only hope that it is durable for such conditions.

anyway, do you think that a shockproof battery grip makes any sense? or just be careful not to drop it along with the attached camera.
08-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm not really against plastic material as long as it's thick, extremely hard and durable. there are different types of plastic and I hope that Pentax wont make anything of the brittle kind.
08-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I was told by a Pentax rep that the baseplate of the grip is metal the rest is plastic.
Well that is good. I mean when you hold onto the camera vertically, your thumb rests on rubber, fingers and joints on the front rubber. So the only part that you also hold on to is the back plate, which is METAL. Also the most liekly place of impact (drop). Guess it isn't too bad, although it SHOULD be full metal. The D300's grip is all mag alloy AND it adds 2FPS. D-BG4 does neither...
08-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Magnesium is an exotic sounding metal that sells to those who don't know. Now don't get me wrong its great material. However polycarbonate plastic is stronger in many ways than magnesium it is much stronger in some areas. How do you feel about the Raptors (fighter jet) canopy being made of it? How do you feel that bullet proof widows are made of it. How do you feel knowing in a drop having the battery grip made of polycarbonate is very smart. You see it can flex a lot without breaking, its stronger than any metal in some ways, but its this very flex when dropped that could cause problems in the K20/K10... because it pushes some of the non protected parts that are outside the chassis, or suspect-able to breaking if flexed. Metal won't flex but it will bend in when hit with a hammer, your battery grip will laugh it off

Do some research on fiber re-in-forced polycarbonate and you will realize its not a compromise at all, now your K-7 has a shock absorber on the bottom so if you drop them and it lands on the battery grip it can take the force of the fall no problem and protect the metal body from bending or cracking.
08-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote
""It also provides the same dustproof, weather- and cold-resistant construction as the camera body itself."
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
According the the Pentax website, it is as weather resistant as the body.
Not according to Pentax France:
QuoteQuote:
Tropicalisation boîtier - optiques
Standard - grip
Where tropicalisation is an exageration as the K-7 is specified for 80% humidity actually.
08-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Where tropicalisation is an exageration as the K-7 is specified for 80% humidity actually.
The K20D has no limit for humidity as per all sites I have visited including Pentax Japan, the K20D can easily live in a tropical rain forest. The bodies are not just protected from some light rain, they are air tight, although air leakage would occur at a fairly low PSI.

Any time I write "K20D" you can replace it with "K-7" or "K200" or "K10D"

Pentax differentiates their dSLRs from the competition for not only being able to use old glass but as well as being relatively affordable true field cameras able to endure the toughest mother nature throws at them. To say one quote from France make all other written material not valid? Why would Pentax make cold weather shooting a stand out feature of the new K-7, they are field cameras. This sets them apart from Sony and Olympus in the same price ranges.

Pentax says of the k-7

"In pouring rain, in sandstorms or at freezing temperatures, photographers demand a true field camera — one that can triumph over every demanding condition — and PENTAX takes great pride in providing the highest level of reliability and protection against harsh environments"

K-7 : Digital SLR Cameras : PENTAX

I think Falcon Eye you know this as you have tested it Its just more proof the left arm does not know what the right arm is doing however looking at Pentax France I can't find the 80% rating?
08-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Actually, I only wanted to mention that according to Pentax France, the body is more weather resistant than the battery grip.
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
I think Falcon Eye you know this as you have tested it Its just more proof the left arm does not know what the right arm is doing however looking at Pentax France I can't find the 80% rating?
Oh, my arms, what did you do?

Seriously though, let's stay realistic.

I would say without hesitation that K20D and K-7 are the most weather-resistant (and affordable) dSLRs available.

But I wouldn't go as far as Pentax France and say that they are tropicalized (as per mil spec). This would be another story. No series camera is tropicalized. Humidity will kill it sooner or later if you don't store it at a dry place, preferably using silicat gel or an air conditioned place. There are user reports about K20D and K-7 and SDM lenses having trouble when used in 90% humidity for a month or more. Esp. in the flash department and SDM motor.

Note that humidity will enter the body upon lens change and have no chance to escape later on. So, sooner or later (e.g., at night), water will condense if you don't store it dry, preferably with no mounted lens.

Quote from http://www.pentaximaging.com/pdf/K-7_e_web.pdf:
QuoteQuote:
Do not subject the camera to high temperatures or high humidity.
(I cannot find the 80% humidity specification anymore)

Please note:
I don't say the K-7 wouldn't stand a tropical rain storm. It does without problem. I only say that one must take care to keep it dry if you stay in a tropical region over an extended period of time. Tropicalized equipment does not need to be stored dry.

Last edited by falconeye; 08-27-2009 at 04:46 PM.
08-28-2009, 03:17 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Actually that's what they say:

Pentax K-7 - PENTAX France

" Une poignée d'alimentation tropicalisée (43 joints) (en option) " that speaks for itself.
and
"Grâce à sa finition tropicalisée, le K-7 est extrêmement résistant aussi bien à l'humidité qu'à la poussière. Les 77 joints de protection permettent d'utiliser le boîtier dans des endroits poussiéreux, sous la pluie et dans des conditions extrêmes jusqu'à -10°C."

dust, humidity resistant. Can be used...under the rain.

Last edited by Substitute; 08-28-2009 at 03:27 AM.