Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2009, 04:03 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax k20d shiping from US

Hello everyone,

i sold some months ago my K100D and i am thinking now getting a K20d since the prices have been dropped since the release of K7. Maybe if i find a good price for the K7 i go after the newer one.
I was thinking buing it from Adorama in the US and let it shipped in Switzerland with UPS.

Is there another suggestion ? i am not quite about the customs, hopefully i wont need to pay more afterall..

Thanks for any information and for reading my thread

08-26-2009, 06:15 AM   #2

I would definitely talk to the customs people. I live in Mexico. If I had a DSLR shipped here I would pay their 17% IVA tax, similar to a VAT tax, which I think is fair. But, I would also pay a 100%+++ luxury tax.
08-26-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In the US we can suffer from the same issues. If we order from the EU and it gets sent by UPS, FedEx or DHL more than likely depending on what is written on the declaration sheet we might get dinged with customs fees. Usually if it is sent Post the US Postal Service, as understaffed as they are simply lets the package in without collecting any fees for the US Customs Service. That is a risky proposition, but I have ordered many bicycle parts from the EU and as of yet had to pay Customs fees. Only photographic item ordered is my Zenitar from Russia and the Post Office refused to deliver it. I had to go to the Post Office to get it because the declaration document was filled out in Russian rather than English, but still no fee even though I had to open the package in front of the Postmaster to prove it's contents.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 08-26-2009 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Too many run on sentences.
08-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #4

I have bought items from Prodigital in Canada delivered by UPS and in each case I have had to pay VAT at the current UK rate of 15% plus Brokerage charges of £11. Even so it worked out cheaper than buying locally. Check that you get an international warranty.

Archie

08-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Urs
Pentaxian

Hi there,
I would recommend you buy the Cam in Switzerland instead of ordering from the US compare this:

At digitec online shop Pentax K20D, SLR, 14.6MP, Liveview, DA 18-55mm II KITCHF Swiss Franc 999.- = US Dollars 943.12

Adorama.com Pentax K20D Digital SLR Camera Body with 18-55mm Lens Kit $779.95 + estimated Fedex shipping to CH $118.40 = US $ 898.35 plus Import Tax??
(plus variation depending of the exchange rate your credit card uses)

So if you add whatever tax it will be more expensive to order it from the US, plus you sleep easier with a local Pentax guarantee, in case you need it.

Look up also http://en.toppreise.ch/index.php?search=PENTAX+K20D&sRes=OK
where you probably find even better prices.

Last edited by Urs; 08-26-2009 at 08:22 PM.
08-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Don't do it

My recommendation is don't do it. Apart from the possible extra cost of import duty, customs processing cost and then local sales tax, plus all the shipping charges. What happens if it goes faulty, your sales contract is with a U.S. company. I have imported things into the U.K. many times and my two questions are: what is the likely hood of it going wrong; is the total cost so much lower than I can purchase it locally, that it is worth the risk.
08-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for the useful information you gave me. So there is no way to make this order now. I was not sure about the customs but probably i will have to pay for it much more than it costs here. And ofcourse without international guarantee it is a high risk as told.
Only if i went to the US it would worth buying the camera.
So i will wait a bit more and see how the K7`s price will develop in time..else k20d is a good choice
Cheerz and goodnight !