Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

I was "gripped" with fear...

I got my K7 w/ D-BG4 battery grip, AF540FGZ flash, DA*16-50, DA*50-135, Hoya HD CPL & UV filters for both, 2x 16GB Hoodman SDHC cards, 055CXPRO4 tripod, Giottos MH-1302 ball head & a Kata 3n1-30 bag yesterday. (I know, quit braging...)

I went out shooting that night (of course) but my K7 started acting weird. almost everytime I tried to playback a photo, the auto-focus would start and the LCD display would turn off! I instantly started thinking if I had seen any thread on the forum relating to this problem. This issue kept up almost all night. I was about ready to send it back and figure out what to use for my vacation next week (since I sold my entire previous setup to my friend); then I carefully looked at the K7 one more time when this happened...

I realized the power to the grip was on and my big a$$ hand was hitting the shutter button when I put the weight of the camera on my right hand to hit the play button with my left hand...

I obviously need to get used to this battery grip thing.

I posted this so that anyone else that has had a moment like this can have comfort in the fact that you are not alone... Not to mention to give everyone a laugh at my expense... Which I don't mind

08-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #2

The exact same thing happened to me not long ago... cold sweats and everything!
08-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't stand it so I sold my grip :P
08-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Yup, another victim here. Seems to be an idiosyncrasy of the grip and shutter release ergonomics.

I've learned to keep my slightly chubby hand up a little when holding the camera in landscape position with the battery grip attached and on (or just try and remember to turn it off when rotating the camera)

08-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Omg you bought all of that in one fell swoop? Dang. Did you find a leprechaun or something? Wanna adopt me? lol. JK. Congrats on your acquisitions. I have regular girl sized hands but I've done the same thing. A few times I've fired off half a card worth of shots without realizing it.
08-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep bought it all at once. Don't think I'm rich though... I lost a relative back in May and I was left a gift in the estate.

Once I reviewed the photos from yesterday I also notice some random shots of my desk at work. I just need to remember to turn off the switch when I'm done.

Last edited by Pentax_XTC; 08-27-2009 at 06:27 AM.
08-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_XTC Quote
I got my K7 w/ D-BG4 battery grip, AF540FGZ flash, DA*16-50, DA*50-135, Hoya HD CPL & UV filters for both, 2x 16GB Hoodman SDHC cards, 055CXPRO4 tripod, Giottos MH-1302 ball head & a Kata 3n1-30 bag yesterday. (I know, quit braging...)

I went out shooting that night (of course) but my K7 started acting weird. almost everytime I tried to playback a photo, the auto-focus would start and the LCD display would turn off! I instantly started thinking if I had seen any thread on the forum relating to this problem. This issue kept up almost all night. I was about ready to send it back and figure out what to use for my vacation next week (since I sold my entire previous setup to my friend); then I carefully looked at the K7 one more time when this happened...

I realized the power to the grip was on and my big a$$ hand was hitting the shutter button when I put the weight of the camera on my right hand to hit the play button with my left hand...

I obviously need to get used to this battery grip thing.

I posted this so that anyone else that has had a moment like this can have comfort in the fact that you are not alone... Not to mention to give everyone a laugh at my expense... Which I don't mind
You can turn off the DBG4, there is a seperate switch for the grip buttons to function. It does not disconnect the batteries.
My biggest issue with the grip is the placement of the buttons. I have a hard time repositioning my hand for reaching the AF button, the wheel or the other buttons.

For the rest my K-7 is great!

- Bert