Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20 catch focus with Tamron lens

I know the K20 can be set to catch (trap) focus with a manual lens, or with a Pentax lens with the AF/MF switch, but can it be made to work with a Tamron AF lens without the on-lens switch?
With my Pentax A50 MF lens, I switch the camera to AF, then manually focus until it catches and takes the shot, and frankly it's better than I can do by eye even with the KatzEye screen. And I'd like to figure out a setting on the K20 that would trap focus with my Tamron 28-75,
Brian

08-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

On the Tamron 28-75mm it is not possible to do trap focus.
It is purely an auto focus lens when the camera's focus mode switch is set to auto focus.

A few Tamron lenses like the SP90 Macro have an on-lens manual focus switch, and you can do trap focus if you set that switch to manual + AF on the camera.
08-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
That's what I thought

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
On the Tamron 28-75mm it is not possible to do trap focus.
It is purely an auto focus lens when the camera's focus mode switch is set to auto focus.

A few Tamron lenses like the SP90 Macro have an on-lens manual focus switch, and you can do trap focus if you set that switch to manual + AF on the camera.
That's what I thought, but I gave it a shot on the off chance somebody had a workaround. Thanks,
Brian
08-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Actually, there is a (dirty) mean to do trap focus with a tamron 28-75 : just press the mount's locking button while composing... The AF motor will turn without actually driving the lens (as the AF shaft is retracted into the body), and the body will wait for AF confirm to take the pic...

Only problem : the motor will turn indefinitely...

08-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Try to use some tape to insulate the lens contactsand use it as manual lens. Does your lens have aperture ring?