Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Next logical step

Just wondering, if I wanted to upgrade my *istD to something with image stabilization (or whatever Pentax calls it), what would be the logical choice if I wanted to stay with a model of similar controls. I like the wheels to make changes on the fly vs having to go into menus. What are the options?

08-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Forum Member

Well if you like the dual control wheels, your only options are the K20D and the K-7...

René

Luminous Pixels Photography - PENTAX Photo Gallery: Artist Bio - René Box

Last edited by Cloggie_UK; 08-27-2009 at 02:30 PM.
08-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cloggie_UK Quote
Well if you like the dual control wheels, your only options are the K20D and the K-7...

René

Luminous Pixels Photography - PENTAX Photo Gallery: Artist Bio - René Box
K10D also has 2 dials
08-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have upgraded 2 times since I bought the *istD, but upgraded is not the right word because I still have the *istD.

My first move was to get a K10D, and believe me image stabilization is worth getting the K10D,

I passed on the K100 and all the DS and DL modles because the *istD was just as good, and I didn't see IS being a big enough difference in a 6MP camera to make the change.

I then got (just reciently) a K7 I skipped the K20 because I used the *istD for low light high ISO and also for manual aperture lenses and TTL flash.

SO not I have and *istD, a K10D and a K7D.

The *istD is stilll the champ for TTL flash which I use on everythign up to the 300F4 plus 1.7x AF TC

the K10D has a split image for MF, and the K7 is the main AF go to body

The K7 I think is the best bet if you are upgrading from the *istD, because it represents the most changes and meters much better than teh K20 expecially on older lenses.

also the K7 is a similar size to the *istD, although in my opinion the grip in thebody has a more positive feel

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 08-27-2009 at 03:04 PM.
08-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
K10D also has 2 dials
Indeed but probably only available 2nd hand...
08-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Just wondering, if I wanted to upgrade my *istD to something with image stabilization (or whatever Pentax calls it), what would be the logical choice if I wanted to stay with a model of similar controls. I like the wheels to make changes on the fly vs having to go into menus.
FWIW, that's not really an accurate way of summing up the advantage of the two wheels. As far as I know, there is absolutely nothing done with a wheel on the *istD that requires a menuon any other model. The models with only wheel simulate the second wheel by pressing a button while turning the wheel - no menus involved. The menus come in only for things like changing AF point selection from automatic to center only, or or metering mode from multisegment to spot - things that aren't done with a wheel on the two-wheel cameras, but rather, things that might be accomplished with dedicated buttons.

Might not be an important distinction, but if you really are concerned only with the things that are done with the second wheel and not the things that are done by the dedicated buttons, then the single-wheel cameras might not be totally out of the running, as they don't require menus to do anything done with the wheels on the *istD.
08-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
FWIW, that's not really an accurate way of summing up the advantage of the two wheels. As far as I know, there is absolutely nothing done with a wheel on the *istD that requires a menuon any other model. The models with only wheel simulate the second wheel by pressing a button while turning the wheel - no menus involved. The menus come in only for things like changing AF point selection from automatic to center only, or or metering mode from multisegment to spot - things that aren't done with a wheel on the two-wheel cameras, but rather, things that might be accomplished with dedicated buttons.

Might not be an important distinction, but if you really are concerned only with the things that are done with the second wheel and not the things that are done by the dedicated buttons, then the single-wheel cameras might not be totally out of the running, as they don't require menus to do anything done with the wheels on the *istD.
That is a good bit of information. I was not aware. I thought that somewhere I read that some options that were easy to get to on the *ist D, were only in the menu of some of the other models. Thanks
08-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I thought that somewhere I read that some options that were easy to get to on the *ist D, were only in the menu of some of the other models.
There are! It's just as I said - the things that require the menu have nothing to do with the second wheel on the D, but rather, with some of the dedicated buttons for things like changing metering mode from multi-segment to spot. But the things you do with the wheels - changing aperture & shutter speed, primarily - don't require menus on other cameras. You just do them using one wheel and a button press. Kind of like the "shift" key on a computer keyboard - the button temporarily converts the wheel from shutter speed to aperture control

I make this distinction simply because sometimes people make it sound like you need the menu for *everything* on the single-wheel cameras. That just isn't true - you need it only for the few functions that have dedicated buttons on the dual-wheel cameras but don't on other models, like changing metering mode. I change never change those things at all, so it's a non-issue for me. The only things I change regularly are aperture and shutter speed, and those don't require menus - just one additional button press (and only when in M mode at that, but I'm there all the time). OK, ISO requires a menu of sorts (the Fn menu) but as far as I know that's the same as the D.

Of course, even that one additional button press is difficult for people to accept once they've become accustomed to not needing it, so I don't mean to imply the second wheel has no advantages. Just that the advantage of the wheel is not related to menus. It's the *buttons* on the D that can save some menu access.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 08-28-2009 at 09:01 AM.
08-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There are! It's just as I said - the things that require the menu have nothing to do with the second wheel on the D, but rather, with some of the dedicated buttons for things like changing metering mode from multi-segment to spot. But the things you do with the wheels - changing aperture & shutter speed, primarily - don't require menus on other cameras. You just do them using one wheel and a button press. Kind of like the "shift" key on a computer keyboard - the button temporarily converts the wheel from shutter speed to aperture control

I make this distinction simply because sometimes people make it sound like you need the menu for *everything* on the single-wheel cameras. That just isn't true - you need it only for the few functions that have dedicated buttons on the dual-wheel cameras but don't on other models, like changing metering mode. I change never change those things at all, so it's a non-issue for me. The only things I change regularly are aperture and shutter speed, and those don't require menus - just one additional button press (and only when in M mode at that, but I'm there all the time). OK, ISO requires a menu of sorts (the Fn menu) but as far as I know that's the same as the D.

Of course, even that one additional button press is difficult for people to accept once they've become accustomed to not needing it, so I don't mean to imply the second wheel has no advantages. Just that the advantage of the wheel is not related to menus. It's the *buttons* on the D that can save some menu access.
Thanks for that info. Very informative.